Speculation: Which goalie will Carolina claim?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Nobody. They'll call up Nedeljkovic to back up Mrazek and call it a day.

It's not what I'd prefer as a Canes fan, but it's what I think they'll do.

For real. That's what I WANT as a Canes fan. If he's not ready now he'll never be. Plus he looked good in preseason. Tired of the team keeping all these goalies they draft in the AHL, never giving them a shot, and then signing other teams castaways for huge contracts sight unseen.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
100% go Pickard. That guy got jerked around last year with being placed in the minors for depth. He can be a middle of the road #1. Better than Darling imo.

vegas sent him down 1st, so yeah.
also he got outplayed by the AHL starter...."jerked around" nah gotta win the job bro

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
For real. That's what I WANT as a Canes fan. If he's not ready now he'll never be.

Actually, that's what I'm concerned about...goalies can take a while. There's a really good possibility he's not ready now but would be if we waited. It's not unusual for a goalie to take 4-6 years post-draft to develop into an NHL goalie. It's why you see so many guys finally find their NHL game with their second or third team.

I'm not usually a proponent of over-ripening prospects, but goalies?...I'd rather err on the side of over-ripe.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
For whatever reason I have a gut feeling Don Waddell is going to pick up McBackup for some short term depth at least until Darling is back. Seems like his type of guy.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
For real. That's what I WANT as a Canes fan. If he's not ready now he'll never be. Plus he looked good in preseason. Tired of the team keeping all these goalies they draft in the AHL, never giving them a shot, and then signing other teams castaways for huge contracts sight unseen.

Huh? Since 2010, here are all the goalies the Canes drafted. Only 1 of them, Ned, has even played a full season in the AHL and he's only played 1.5 seasons in the AHL because he was so bad the first year he was sent to the ECHL.

2018: Kucharski has zero seasons in the NHL
2017: Makiniemi has zero seasons in the NHL
2016: Helvig has zero seasons in the NHL
2015: Booth has zero seasons in the AHL (and 28 games in the ECHL)
2014: Ned has 1.5 seasons in the AHL
2012: Altshuller 33 games in the AHL and is was out of hockey last year.
2012: Olson never even made it to the AHL
2011: Mahalak never even made it to the AHL
2010: Andersen refused to sign and was re-drafted

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Huh? Since 2010, here are all the goalies the Canes drafted. Only 1 of them, Ned, has even played a full season in the AHL and he's only played 1.5 seasons in the AHL because he was so bad the first year he was sent to the ECHL.

2018: Kucharski has zero seasons in the NHL
2017: Makiniemi has zero seasons in the NHL
2016: Helvig has zero seasons in the NHL
2015: Booth has zero seasons in the AHL (and 28 games in the ECHL)
2014: Ned has 1.5 seasons in the AHL
2012: Altshuller 33 games in the AHL and is was out of hockey last year.
2012: Olson never even made it to the AHL
2011: Mahalak never even made it to the AHL
2010: Andersen refused to sign and was re-drafted

Maybe he’s a big Justin Peters fan?

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015

Yeah, statistically you're pretty far off on this. For one, Ned is the only one who has had considerable AHL time like BBA mentioned. Let alone how much longer goalies take, he's in no way behind schedule

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
For whatever reason I have a gut feeling Don Waddell is going to pick up McBackup for some short term depth at least until Darling is back. Seems like his type of guy.

But McBackup has to remain on the NHL roster, all season or else he is goes on waivers again. If reclaimed by the Leafs he can be sent to the minors without waivers. When Darling comes back, what happens to McBackup?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
But McBackup has to remain on the NHL roster, all season or else he is goes on waivers again. If reclaimed by the Leafs he can be sent to the minors without waivers. When Darling comes back, what happens to McBackup?

That's not quite how it works.

If reclaimed by the Leafs, they can send him down to the minors without waivers provided they are the only team making a claim on him. If he Leafs were to claim him and win the claim, but another team with a better record also put in a claim, then the Leafs would have to waive him again before sending him down.

That said:

1) If the Canes were only getting him as a stop gap, then we wouldn't care if we waived him when Darling was back and someone claimed him. In fact, it probably would be preferable that he was claimed.
2) If Toronto were to claim him and win the claim, it's unlikely anyone else would put in a claim as well.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
As others have mentioned, they could just run with Mrazek an Nedeljkovic, but if they claim someone, I assume it would be Pickard or McBackup from TOR rather than Antoine Bibeau in CAR.

I guess it depends how much they like Nedeljkovic… And how long Darling is out. Apparently it is not serious so they may just decide to evaluate Mrazek's effectiveness and maybe get Nedeljkovic into a game or two max.

They may even be willing to let Pickard clear and trade for him like we did with Pickard last year, but that would be if they want to stash him in the AHL. That would give them 6 goalies, and that is a lot, so maybe less likely. Pickard would be better than a lot of them though, and would give them good insurance in case of injury or one of Mrazek/Darling sucks again. Plus I am sure the Leafs would not be against acquiring someone like Booth in a trade and then stash him in the ECHL for a year.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I could see them claiming Pickard, unless another Team beats them to it.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
I would hate to lose Pickard but I think he would be a decent add for Carolina. I'd go for him.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
I'd be shocked if neither Pickard or McBackup is not claimed. Hopefully they can work out a trade for the sake of getting something back and maybe saving the Canes some real dollars. Pretty sure Toronto could care less on eating salary for a year if it means getting an asset back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->