Which goalie do you want to sign?

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Maybe peters is available in combination with a reimer?

Still think ward might be an option and probably cheaper then people rhink

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
I think with the Fasth deal today, Hiller comes off the table. I think its unlikely that the Ducks will go into next season with a Andersen/Gibson duo. They will probably resign Hiller to give Gibson more time to develop

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
I think with the Fasth deal today, Hiller comes off the table. I think its unlikely that the Ducks will go into next season with a Andersen/Gibson duo. They will probably resign Hiller to give Gibson more time to develop

For sure they will. Miller isny coming here. Options are limited already. Only hope is one comes back in yhe Vanek deal

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
Wanted Khudobin (resigned w/ Canes)
With the Ducks unloading Fasth, they are likely to resign Hiller.

Hopefully Halak hates Buffalo that way we can target in FA.

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
Jus curious, what would it take to get Pekka Rinne here? Maybe Poulin or Nilsson, another player and a pick?

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Yeah, I think we end up with Halak in the summer now.

I would be very ok with Halak.

The more I think about it though, I think Ward will be the goalie we get. Halak is no guarantee and is likely to command a longer commitment than 2 years like Ward would. Ward comes at a fixed cost despite the high price tag. We have relatively few roster spots available and a lot of cap money to spend. With Khudobin looking like the future in Carolina, Ward could be had cheap since not many teams would be willing or can absorb that contract. He's still not yet 30 and can rebound to be at least league average. Ward would probably waive his NTC since he's no longer the man in Carolina and it's not a robust market for his services. Offer up the MTL 2nd rounder (assuming they make the playoffs) and Carolina gets their cap dump.

With Ward in tow, Garth would have about $6M-7M to fill a couple of spots in UFA. With internal options emerging to fill the spots up front and on defense, he wouldn't have to be in desperation mode to fill any needs. He refuses to overpay, he won't have to then. Garth would be in total control of his cap, he could be right at the cap floor with all the cost certainty. If CdH impresses the rest of the season, does he give him a long term deal rather than a bridge deal? That could eat up a sizable chunk of the available cap space. A decent little raise to Cizikas with a 3/4 year deal would also go towards that too.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site

The more I think about it though, I think Ward will be the goalie we get. Halak is no guarantee and is likely to command a longer commitment than 2 years like Ward would. Ward comes at a fixed cost despite the high price tag. We have relatively few roster spots available and a lot of cap money to spend. With Khudobin looking like the future in Carolina, Ward could be had cheap since not many teams would be willing or can absorb that contract. He's still not yet 30 and can rebound to be at least league average. Ward would probably waive his NTC since he's no longer the man in Carolina and it's not a robust market for his services. Offer up the MTL 2nd rounder (assuming they make the playoffs) and Carolina gets their cap dump.

With Ward in tow, Garth would have about $6M-7M to fill a couple of spots in UFA. With internal options emerging to fill the spots up front and on defense, he wouldn't have to be in desperation mode to fill any needs. He refuses to overpay, he won't have to then. Garth would be in total control of his cap, he could be right at the cap floor with all the cost certainty. If CdH impresses the rest of the season, does he give him a long term deal rather than a bridge deal? That could eat up a sizable chunk of the available cap space. A decent little raise to Cizikas with a 3/4 year deal would also go towards that too.

I agree with this, because it makes more fiscal sense than hockey sense, however, that ain't a playoff contending team at all.

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
I think the worst part of this season is we actually cant look out and say "well there is always next year". I actually think this team will be worse next year. Its very depressing.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I think we should bring back Nabokov and have Poulin or Nilsson as the backup next year, and the year after, and the year after that.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
I think the worst part of this season is we actually cant look out and say "well there is always next year". I actually think this team will be worse next year. Its very depressing.
I don't think there is any reason for us to be worse if we are willing to get off the cap floor. But that may be wishful thinking. I refuse to believe that there aren't any good players that want to come to this team. The one problem I see is the ability for Snow to recognize the difference between a good player that is willing to play for this team and one that is just stopping here to collect a check.

Last edited:

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island

I'm thinking about Ward too. Now a little concerned Halak will stay with Washington.

I suggested this in another thread, but I'd offer them Bailey for Ward straight up. I think it's fair, all things considered.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I am shocked any of you want Ward after the year he had.

Or is it that all the better goaltenders won't come here? I'd call it the "I don't want to play for a team moving in the wrong direction" effect. Is it a matter of him being the best one out of the scrub box willing to come here for too much money?

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
I'm thinking about Ward too. Now a little concerned Halak will stay with Washington.

I suggested this in another thread, but I'd offer them Bailey for Ward straight up. I think it's fair, all things considered.

I think Nabby won't be back either. I think he'll go somewhere and back up.

Honestly I see them signing Carter Hutton as one of their goalies. Hell I'd take Al Montoya back right now.

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
I think Nabby won't be back either. I think he'll go somewhere and back up.

Honestly I see them signing Carter Hutton as one of their goalies. Hell I'd take Al Montoya back right now.

If Nabby doesn't come back to the Islanders(barring a career ending injury), I will log off and stay off HFboards for a week.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad