Which goalie do you want to sign?

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002
I would love Hiller but a more realistic target would be Halak. Just please anyone but Cam Ward.

anyone? how about roberto luongo? he would probably enjoy leaving the circus that has become the city of vancouver. he MIGHT consider long island less of a circus. the team is virtually ignorned by the media and he could just live his life however he likes all the while providing capable goaltending. he has eight years on his contract but only the next four are for $6M per. the last four years are for $6M in total. i think the bolded is very important. now, i don't know the ins and outs of the new cba, but if there was a way to get creative with those last four years, this guy could be an option. if there is no way to get creative, then it is obviously a non-starter. just food for thought because hiller, miller, halak, etc. would be absolutely crazy for wanting to play with the isles. luongo has been screwed with more than many nhlers in recent memory so he just might enjoy the the obscurity of playing for this franchise. it would be great to get a decent player or two who actually wants to be an islander, whatever their reasoning for doing so.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
anyone? how about roberto luongo? he would probably enjoy leaving the circus that has become the city of vancouver. he MIGHT consider long island less of a circus. the team is virtually ignorned by the media and he could just live his life however he likes all the while providing capable goaltending. he has eight years on his contract but only the next four are for $6M per. the last four years are for $6M in total. i think the bolded is very important. now, i don't know the ins and outs of the new cba, but if there was a way to get creative with those last four years, this guy could be an option. if there is no way to get creative, then it is obviously a non-starter. just food for thought because hiller, miller, halak, etc. would be absolutely crazy for wanting to play with the isles. luongo has been screwed with more than many nhlers in recent memory so he just might enjoy the the obscurity of playing for this franchise. it would be great to get a decent player or two who actually wants to be an islander, whatever their reasoning for doing so.

What if Vancouver ate $3 million per year of that?

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL

He hasn't been an Islander in 15 years. In that amount of time the isles have won exactly ZERO playoff series. We're a much bigger circus than Vancouver is. We're the center of the three rings.

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002
He hasn't been an Islander in 15 years. In that amount of time the isles have won exactly ZERO playoff series. We're a much bigger circus than Vancouver is. We're the center of the three rings.

i am not discussing on ice success between the two franchises. obviously, the isles don't compare. however, vancouver has screwed this guy over so much he just might want to play in a quiet media market on a team where he knows he is the number one guy.

bluechipbonzo

Feb 12, 2010
Ottawa

Maybe its time for a feel good story.

I mean, he doesn't have to be the man with Tavares in town.

Our offense I am sure he will welcome...historically the goals per game would favour our current Islanders team.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
well, any goalie that plays most of the games is considered a starter. the word "starter" is a loose one. just because some guy will be the starter doesn't mean that they will actually be any good.

Oh excuse me then for not being specific enough, is the term 1A good enough?

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee

I was actually thinking about possibly trading for Luongo, but he would have to waive his NTC I believe? Do you really think he would come to the Island? I find it unlikely, but if for some reason he fell the night prior, banged his head and all of a sudden considered a move back to the Island a good idea, I would welcome him with open arms.

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002
I was actually thinking about possibly trading for Luongo, but he would have to waive his NTC I believe? Do you really think he would come to the Island? I find it unlikely, but if for some reason he fell the night prior, banged his head and all of a sudden considered a move back to the Island a good idea, I would welcome him with open arms.

i guess i was thinking that he MIGHT consider it given how vancouver has treated him the last two seasons. if he knew he would be the number one guy, and it's not like the nyi have anyone EVEN CLOSE to claiming the number one job from him, he might appreciate the opportunity to play in relative obscurity.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
It's worth noting that seven years ago last Thursday Ryan Smyth balled his eyes out in front of everyone when he found out he had to leave Edmonton for NYI.

Yeah, he cried because he got traded. That kid is loco. Brain must be frozen.

What, is there a goalie union and they all agreed to block Garth from their calling list?

No, it's called a hockey player union. As in all hockey players. In general. Seriously, is there a 36 year old out of other options, because that's probably your best bet.

There is an excellent goalie market out there. Garth will walk away with a starter.

There was also an excellent goalie market last year. After targeting ****ing Ray Emery, who's been a backup for like 6 years now, he walked away with... Nabokov. Again. Gave him a raise too.

Color me not so confident.

And You Feel Shame

Jul 31, 2007
There was also an excellent goalie market last year. After targeting ****ing Ray Emery, who's been a backup for like 6 years now, he walked away with... Nabokov. Again. Gave him a raise too.

Color me not so confident.

Who is it that you liked from last year's UFAs? Beyond Khudobin, there was nobody who I had any real confidence in, and even that was no sure thing. Thomas was clearly not signing here, and even if he had expressed interest, I would have been uneasy after a full year away from hockey. He's not playing terribly well for Florida, either. Greiss has proven to be solid in limited appearances this year, but I wouldn't have felt as good about him last summer.

This year's goalie options look significantly better to me.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Luongo is untradeable because of the cap recapture penalty if he retires early. Hope he gets bought out instead.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Who is it that you liked from last year's UFAs? Beyond Khudobin, there was nobody who I had any real confidence in, and even that was no sure thing. Thomas was clearly not signing here, and even if he had expressed interest, I would have been uneasy after a full year away from hockey. He's not playing terribly well for Florida, either. Greiss has proven to be solid in limited appearances this year, but I wouldn't have felt as good about him last summer.

This year's goalie options look significantly better to me.

This. I don't know where this whole revisionist theory of a great FA goalie bonanza last year came from. This upcoming year, on the other hand, looks to be great.

I usually don't get upset over FA stuff... That being said, ill be pretty mad if we don't either trade or sign for one of the available better goalies. I like Nabby and want him back, but as a backup.

If we can get a goalie and depth in defense next year I see no reason why we can't at least be in the playoff hunt next year

islesfan66

Nov 6, 2013
I'd hope Garth explores the trade market a little. Reimer, Anderson, luongo. They'd all be good options I like Halak but not enough for the money he may command

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Who is it that you liked from last year's UFAs?

A number of legitimate options with real futures swapped hands last year. The goalie situation has been an ongoing problem and it hasn't been addressed. There's nothing revisionist about it... a number of folks here were saying that the goalie situation is a ticking timebomb, and it is.

HyeDray

Jul 13, 2006
New Hyde Park, NY
My ideal would be Halak — but only slightly.

I would be pleased with Halak, Hiller of Khudobin.

Halak and Khudobin are in their 20s and so they could be good long term solutions as the team HOPEFULLY can develop. (Im making the assumption that we can't get worse with the development of Strome, maturation of de Haan, Reinhart and others.)

Halak has a deeper NHL track record over Khudobin — and really that was my rationale for going with Halak.

Hiller is older but would still be a major upgrade — and so I would have zero issue with him either.

Miller apparently already indicated he has no interest in the Islanders, and so the Islanders should have zero interest in Miller. We don't need that crap.

It has been reported that Snow made the attempt at trading for Schneider/Bernier and tried to sign Emery. Going back to Nabokov was clearly an error, as was his poor judgement on the team blueline. I suppose no one could have seen AMAc having as much trouble this year as he has, or that Vishnovsky would miss as much time as he did —*but that not withstanding, the team D has underperformed overall and has destroyed the season.

Snow has to address his goaltending situation first and foremost, coaching second, and I think he will actually go with the same blueline. (Maybe he adds a bottom pair vet, but I think he has Reinhart penciled in)

I think Snow should be able to obtain one of the goalies out there via FA or he should use one of AMac/Vanek to bring someone in.

Pete islanders

Feb 1, 2014
I would like to get Anderson from Ott. Sign Nabby for 1 year as back up. & leave kids in Bridgeport the whole year

peter021

Apr 2, 2009
St. Petersburg, FL
I'm going to throw a name out there, not because I want the Isles to take him, but because it's in line with how the organization works: Devan Dubnyk.

Guy has had a brutal season and was just waived by Nashville. But, and there is a slight but, the previous 3 seasons he posted save percentages in the .915-.920 range which is very solid. He's also just 27 I believe.

Just the type of player Garth likes to scoop up. They could probably snatch him up this season to see if he could turn his game around as he's UFA now.

Again, not my choice (Hiller or Khudobin would be my picks), but it would seem to be an Islander-esque move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad