Which franchise is in the best cap situation?

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Leafs are in great shape despite what HF and the media will tell you. I’d argue we have a better situation than the Jets.

Maybe. We will know right after the Nylander, Marner and Matthews contracts are signed.
Hopefully they can find a taker for Marleau.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Jets have 24 mill (+cap increase) next year to sign:
Laine (9)
Trouba (7)
Myers (6)
Connor (7)
4 more forwards, 1 more defenseman, and a backup (At least 3.75)

They have the enviable problem of having too much talent to afford, but I'd put them around the same place as the Leafs. They're going to have a precarious couple of years navigating some of those offseasons.

Myers is bound for Free Agency and see him being picked up by Dallas or Edmonton.

I think we end up trading Trouba somewhere in 2019.

If we're going to trade a player because of their contract, right now it'd likely be Ehlers.

The only big contract on the Jets that's a big red flag is Wheeler's contract.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
So despite what everyone says, they're in a good situation.

Just wait until you're paying 8+ million for Marner, Matthews and Nylander along with JT.

All indications are that Nylander is going to be making under 7 to start that group off.

Leafs have the hump year next year and then are going to be good going forward. Gardiner is the only player that is going to make things dicey for them but the success of the Gards/Zaitsev pairing will probably force them to make room IMO.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
I'd have to go with the Avs. Rantanens deal is coming up and obviously he deserves to get paid. Only hope is that he asks to match MacKinnon. If so, holy crap the Avs have money to play with.

Reactions: Stealth JD

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
I don't have the numbers in front of me, but Buffalo is in great shape with Moulson and Pominville coming off the books at the end of the year. The year after that Sobotka and Berglund come off and we still have another year to get Dahlin under contract.
Most of Pom’s and Moulson’s money should be going to Skinner next year.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
Leafs are in great shape despite what HF and the media will tell you. I’d argue we have a better situation than the Jets.
Until they sign Nylander, Matthews & Marner, the Leafs’ cap situation is a gigantic question mark. I don’t see how you can say it is anything other than that.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
In no particular order,
Tampa, Toronto, Winnipeg, Pittsburgh, Nashville, Colorado, Carolina.

Pittsburgh sticks out a bit with a lot of money committed to a mediocre defense and 30+ forwards, but Crosby, Malkin, Kessel for 25 million till 2022 is the best money spent in the league.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

leaf fans keep saying this-but Nylander is still not signed and you guys said he would be an easy sign. You guys could be looking at 3 players on 10+ a year shortly

JT has given some the delusion that ALL players will take home town discounts..Matthews will get paid, as will Nylander, Mitch M and Kapanen

and this is before you guys address your D

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Avs are easily in the best cap situation in the league right now. Jets and Bolts both have precarious situations but have the talent spread out a lot more. Toronto will be very very top heavy with close to $40 million likely tied up in 4 very good players. Preds are also in a pretty good spot as they tend to always get guys below market value.

All in all it has to be the Avs.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Not that I think it is a terrible situation (very similar to the Jets - there are lower tier players they can jettison to make room for signing the big rfa's) but can you explain your reasoning that shows the media is wrong on this?

Jets have to sign Laine, Connor, Trouba and some 3rd/4th liners. They can let Myers walk - replacing him in house and if need be can trade Perrault. Biggest issue is what happens with Trouba or his replacements.

Toronto have to sign Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Kapanen, Johnsson and have to replace Gardiner and Hainsey (maybe in house but that is 2 of your top 3 D).

Last edited:

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
I don't have the numbers in front of me, but Buffalo is in great shape with Moulson and Pominville coming off the books at the end of the year. The year after that Sobotka and Berglund come off and we still have another year to get Dahlin under contract.
Berglund has two more years after Sobotka’s deal is done.
Most of Pom’s and Moulson’s money should be going to Skinner next year.
We have 24.5 million to re-sign Skinner, our back up goalie, 2 middling defencemen(there’s a chance Beaulieu doesn’t come back) and 4 forwards(2/3rds of our 4th line) our 13th forward and our utility forward in Evan Rodrigues.

The year after we have a lot more money coming off the books but decisions will need to be made. Scandella, Bogosian, Sheary, Reinhart, Thompson, Mittlestadt will all need new deals. Sobotka, Hunwick, and Wilson come off the books and will not be re-signed.

We’re not in the best cap situation but it is pretty good.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
Berglund has two more years after Sobotka’s deal is done.

We have 24.5 million to re-sign Skinner, our back up goalie, 2 middling defencemen(there’s a chance Beaulieu doesn’t come back) and 4 forwards(2/3rds of our 4th line) our 13th forward and our utility forward in Evan Rodrigues.

The year after we have a lot more money coming off the books but decisions will need to be made. Scandella, Bogosian, Sheary, Reinhart, Thompson, Mittlestadt will all need new deals. Sobotka, Hunwick, and Wilson come off the books and will not be re-signed.

We’re not in the best cap situation but it is pretty good.
The cap situation is ok. I was merely pointing out that you only showed one side of the significant changes to the ledger next year.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Not that I think it is a terrible situation (very similar to the Jets - there are lower tier players they can jettison to make room for signing the big rfa's) but can you explain your reasoning that shows the media is wrong on this?

Jets have to sign Laine, Connor, Trouba and some 3rd/4th liners. They can let Myers walk - replacing him in house and if need be can trade Perrault. Biggest issue is what happens with Trouba or his replacements.

Toronto have to sign Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Kapanen, Johnsson and have to replace Gardiner and Hainsey (maybe in house but that is 2 of your top 3 D).

Johnsson and Kapanen shouldnt command very much and could also be used as trade chips to replace Gardiner/Hainsey. Nylander is close to signing under 7 which is pretty good as well. The issue becomes Matthews and Marner, but I'd expect ~19 mill between them. At the end of the day the Leafs might have to sacrifice Gardiner (and Hainsey but thats not much of a sacrifice at this point). It sucks, but could be worse. The Leafs have no bad contracts outside of Marleau who has 1 year left, and arguably Zaitsev who is reasonably paid but has quite a bit of term.

leaf fans keep saying this-but Nylander is still not signed and you guys said he would be an easy sign. You guys could be looking at 3 players on 10+ a year shortly

JT has given some the delusion that ALL players will take home town discounts..Matthews will get paid, as will Nylander, Mitch M and Kapanen

and this is before you guys address your D

Nylander should have been an easy signing. It's not Toronto's fault that he was asking for so much more. It is now close and we're talking about numbers under 7 so that isnt an issue.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
The Flyers suck, but somehow are in incredible cap shape for the first time I can remember.

They have Giroux, Voracek, JVR, Couturier, and Gostisbehere all signed through 2022 or beyond for less than $30 million combined. Konecny, Provorov, Laughton, and Sanheim are impending RFAs and Patrick and Lindblom will be the year after that...but they basically have $33+ million in cap space to sign them and fill out the roster. That's kinda insane. Hopefully they find themselves a GM willing to use that space correctly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad