Speculation: Which expiring UFA will Jets miss the most next year?

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
With this summer being incredibly tight with impending cap troubles, curious to see which expiring UFA you'd feel the Jets will miss the most?

Myers?
Tanev?
Chiarot?
Etc?

Questions leaves one with the impression that all are going. I can't see all three leaving.

-many feel Myers future is tied to Trouba. I'm in that camp & it's been discussed to death.

-surprised if Tanev isn't resigned, but it has to be in the $1.5 range. I appreciate the enthusiasm & the timely goals, but anything above that cap hit is money better spent elsewhere

-Chiarot. Of the three the most likely to sign elsewhere. Buff, Morrissey, Kulikov, Poolman & Niku will likely occupy five of the seven spots. Add in one of Myers or Trouba making six. That leaves RFA Morrow, RFA Beaulieu & UFA Chiarot. I'd think only one will remain next season. Chiarot leaving would strike another off of the small list of those that came over from the Thrashers.

Last edited:

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
rubixpubes prediction:

Chiarot re-signs. 2*1.9
Myers re-signs 4*4.33 - *HFjets freaks out*
Morrow gets re-signed at 1 million for some reason

Tanev and Beaulieu both seek higher offers elsewhere.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Questions leaves one with the impression that all are going. I can't see all three leaving.

-many feel Myers future is tied to Trouba. I'm in that camp & it's been discussed to death.

-surprised if Tanev isn't resigned, but it has to be in the $1.5 range. I appreciate the enthusiasm & the timely goals, but anything above that dollar is money better spent elsewhere

-Chiarot. Of the three the most likely to sign elsewhere. Buff, Morrissey, Kulikov, Poolman & Niku will likely occupy five of the seven spots. Add in one of Myers or Trouba making six. That leaves RFA Morrow, RFA Beaulieu & UFA Chiarot. I'd think only one will remain next season. Chiarot leaving would strike another off of the small list of those that came over from the Thrashers.

Speaking of Thrashers, I think Chiarot and Little are the only two left that were drafted by the Thrashers as well.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Myers is easily the most important of the bunch. Hayes would be nice to sign on a 3 or 4 year deal but unfortunately I would imagine a short contract will not be an option. A Hayes contract could look very bad in a few years considering he has only averaged around 40 points per year. Being a defender Myers is likely is a serviceable top 4 for the next 5 years. Down the road paying for a potentially less productive offensively but smarter and more efficient top 4 defender will feel a lot better than being stuck with an overpaid 3rd line forward.

Sign Myers, let Hayes walk if he wants big term and keep looking for options to solve the 2C gap. Jets are obviously very good now but they are looking like they are going to walk away with reasonable contracts across the board on some very young players. This team has a lot of long-term potential and shouldn't get to desperate jeopardizing the future in favor of winning now.

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
Tanev and Myers. Tanev as he brings it 100% more than anyone else. Myers gets s*** on a lot, but his presence will be missed next year as Enstrom's is this year, perhaps even more so.

Reactions: GNP
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
You don't think they'll trade him in the off-season?

Well to begin with, it wasn't part of the OP's questions regarding 2019 UFA's.

If we're going to get off topic, then it all depends on the eventual Laine/Connor deals and how the Trouba situation plays out. If $23 million AAV ends up going to those three then certainly either Kulikov or Perreault days could be cut short.

Reactions: GNP

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Teams seem to require a 100% heart-and-effort guy like Tanev...the question is, does Tanev price himself out of the Jets' reach? If he wants much more than he's currently making, it may be too rich for their blood. These types of players should be fairly cheap.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I really love Tanev, and he has turned into a great pro.

He'll always be a depth forward.

At the end of next year, I anticipate looking at the roster and saying "damn, I wish we still had Myers. Too bad he signed for eleventy-billion dollars somewhere else."

Reactions: Jet and GNP

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
With this summer being incredibly tight with impending cap troubles, curious to see which expiring UFA you'd feel the Jets will miss the most?

Myers?
Tanev?
Chiarot?
Etc?
You said miss one of these guys, right?

Hmmm, ummmm, well, I guess, ummm…..hmmmm. Is miss the right word?

Reactions: AKAChip

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
I'm not sure I'll miss Hayes per se. But I'll miss what he brings if someone else doesn't step up and replace it.
I don’t see anyone who currently can replace Hayes. If we don’t sign Hayes, our second line will struggle greatly with Little as the second line center.

The only option with Little as a second line centre would be to pair him with Wheeler who is the only current player on the Jets who always demonstrated consistent chemistry with Little (Maurice would have to see this though)

This could be the only way to have a second line that puts up respectable numbers without Hayes.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Mock Tanev all you want but at the end of the day, he's got more goals than Copp, Lowry or Roslovic. Copp and Lowry I have pretty low expectations for, but Roslovic is now seriously headed for bust territory compared to the hype surrounding him. And to think, we could have had Aho with that pick.

Who would you have taken at that time? I wanted Jacob Larsson. He is not exactly setting the NHL on fire either.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

-surprised if Tanev isn't resigned, but it has to be in the $1.5 range. I appreciate the enthusiasm & the timely goals, but anything above that cap hit is money better spent elsewhere

Pretty sure someone will offer Tanev 2+. He is in no position to take a team friendly contract. Having started late, he will have a short career. This will probably be the biggest payday he gets.

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
I'm not sure I'll miss Hayes per se. But I'll miss what he brings if someone else doesn't step up and replace it.
Hayes is just stepping into his prime and there’s no one in the organization that projects as a second line centre. Especially with Little on a steep decline. Maybe Roslovic becomes a second line centre at some point and I’d love for it to happen, but I’m not banking on it. With all the RFAs we need to re-sign, I don’t foresee the Jets in the market for any FA beyond budget guys so if Hayes does walk, it’s Little or Roslovic in the 2C spot next year. That’s really not ideal.

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
Pretty sure someone will offer Tanev 2+. He is in no position to take a team friendly contract. Having started late, he will have a short career. This will probably be the biggest payday he gets.
It’s easily the biggest payday he gets after he gets 15 points a year the next two seasons.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Chiarot walks. Trouba stays as an own rental and Myers is signed for way too much money by the Jets.

Tanev is also signed by the Jets for too much money. It all comes out of Laine's pocket.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Who would you have taken at that time? I wanted Jacob Larsson. He is not exactly setting the NHL on fire either.

I only make picks with the benefit of hindsight. Was hoping my time machine would be further along in the development cycle by this time, but really having a hard time sourcing time crystals. :laugh:

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
The most? Myers I guess because he is the best out of them? I'm sure people will miss Tanev's ability to throw himself at a player and bounce off like a rubber ball, or Chiarot's ability to throw a booming check then immediately ice the puck, but Myers has legitimate offensive skill, he's just too expensive.

I'd really love to see icing stats for the team because I think the 'Chiarot ices the puck alllll the time' meme is incorrect and kinda tired.

Chiarot's zone exits have been very good this year, especially since Buff has gone down. I'd say he ices the puck less than Niku

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
It’s easily the biggest payday he gets after he gets 15 points a year the next two seasons.

This will be interesting to see - especially if he moves on.
He gets a fair amount of shots on goal considering the line he plays on -
And he doesn't rely a ton on others to get his points.

Seems every time he scores, we're calling fluke yet he drives hard to the net and creates his own chances.
I guess the outlier would be his last goal - calls for it and then sends a dart to the top corner.

Go figure Tanev - I've been under estimating this guy every time he steps on the ice.

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
This will be interesting to see - especially if he moves on.
He gets a fair amount of shots on goal considering the line he plays on -
And he doesn't rely a ton on others to get his points.

Seems every time he scores, we're calling fluke yet he drives hard to the net and creates his own chances.
I guess the outlier would be his last goal - calls for it and then sends a dart to the top corner.

Go figure Tanev - I've been under estimating this guy every time he steps on the ice.
His shot isn’t good and while he admittedly gets more effort/crash the net goals than most guys in his position get, these types of seasons from this type of guy is always the outlier. At his current cost, fourth line minutes and 15-20 points is nothing to sneeze at. But after this season, you’re forced to pay for the 14 goals and you’ll be chasing this season for the rest of his career, at double the cost.

He just scored his first goal in 20 odd games. It’s no coincidence we call it flukey when he has a short hot steak.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I hope Roslo really turns into a steal. There are lots of guys on other teams who didn't have the greatest start sign cheaply and then go on only to become a lot better than the market value that they signed for at the time.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad