Speculation: Which expiring UFA will Jets miss the most next year?

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
With this summer being incredibly tight with impending cap troubles, curious to see which expiring UFA you'd feel the Jets will miss the most?

Myers?
Tanev?
Chiarot?
Etc?

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
The most? Myers I guess because he is the best out of them? I'm sure people will miss Tanev's ability to throw himself at a player and bounce off like a rubber ball, or Chiarot's ability to throw a booming check then immediately ice the puck, but Myers has legitimate offensive skill, he's just too expensive.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
The most? Myers I guess because he is the best out of them? I'm sure people will miss Tanev's ability to throw himself at a player and bounce off like a rubber ball, or Chiarot's ability to throw a booming check then immediately ice the puck, but Myers has legitimate offensive skill, he's just too expensive.

Mock Tanev all you want but at the end of the day, he's got more goals than Copp, Lowry or Roslovic. Copp and Lowry I have pretty low expectations for, but Roslovic is now seriously headed for bust territory compared to the hype surrounding him. And to think, we could have had Aho with that pick.

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
I grown to like Tanev game. I normally don’t like the dump and chase He’s develop it into a force with aggressive forechecking and hits along the boards to gain possessions

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Myers, but knowing him he'll sign a stupid contract elsewhere. Guessing Arizona, Dallas or Edmonton.
Tanev is another who I think signs a dumb contract, or much more than the Jets would offer with a longer term. I also think he'll be the UFA that gets the most offers from many teams.
Chiarot will probably sign with a team with no D so he gets ice-time.

FiveHoled

Jul 2, 2016
West Coast
Of the UFA's, value for dollar will miss Chariot the most and then Tanev only because he will need a raise and we can afford to gamble on forwards.

We will be needing really good value contracts now that KFC is blossoming into a super-duper, fake left go right, super, duper, super-star. Laine might cost too. D-Men that cost big money will be the sacrifice.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Miss whom? A: Most of them, they all bring good things. This team is good.

Hayes, Myers, Chiarot, Tanev:

Hayes (really like this player, as he has helped push the second line into a legit scoring machine) and either of Myers or Chiarot. I like Chiarot's story of rags to (relative) riches. He's built for the playoffs.

Hayes again: Deft and patient with the best passes, the great vision. I'll miss him if he signs elsewhere. (Please, please (insert name of higher deity in the pantheon) DON'T let it be Vegas with either Hayes or Chiarot).

Good story about Brandon Tanev - met him with my kid in a local pizza shop, standing in line at the check out - he was exceedingly nice. Would miss his high energy. He never fails to bring it. Just like Yoel, he would be missed. I was shocked by how slight he was and of the average height of Tanev. I am quite a bit taller and larger than he is. Total respect to that guy, he's not very big, but he is without fear - hitting players all the time, many much larger that he is, this fearlessness is an uncoachable trait.

Myers is enigmatic and a walking mystery to me. I will miss the Myers that can nonchalantly skate into the zone and snipe a goal. He's got lots of that, our loss if he signs elsewhere.

I understand the Uber-bottom-dollar business of hockey, and the quick exit precipitated by a contract hung out by a rival team, dripping with cash. However because I understand it, it don't mean I have to like it. :laugh:

Last edited:

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
With this summer being incredibly tight with impending cap troubles, curious to see which expiring UFA you'd feel the Jets will miss the most?

Myers?
Tanev?
Chiarot?
Etc?

I don't think we would miss these three guys at all. That's a testament to the success of our pipeline. Having said that, I won't be surprised if two of the three are still here next season.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Probably none of them that much. There will be nights when we're out 2 defensemen and you think "it would be nice to have Myers now" or on some nights on the road, when the team looks slow and not aggressive enough and you go on to think "this would be a great game for Tanev to set a pace-example" ... but other than that? No, probably not so much.

And regarding Tanev's production this season: He might very well have a career year this year. I think it's questionable if he ever gets more than 10 goals again in his career. He's 27 already, I for example tend to forget that he's not 23-24 anymore. I don't think there is any untapped potential left.

*edit*

fun fact: his birthday is dec 31th. I can't help but wonder if that is the reason he always seems to be on the edge energy wise... I mean being born during firework explosions is pretty exciting :laugh:

Last edited:

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Pretty confident Tanev gets signed. He is an important part of the team.

Would be a bit surprised if Chairot is not signed.

Cant afford Myers or Hayes. I think we will miss Hayes the most.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Won't miss Tanev as much since his spot can go to Lemi- ohhhhh

Jokes aside - Myers. It's an expense thing, but he will likely be better wherever he goes than our bottom pair will be next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad