which dman would you want the leafs to take with their 1st rd pick?

Which dmen should the leafs take?

• Total voters

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The other consensus, is that there doesn't seem to be much consensus, as to how the draft will go, outside of the first few prospects.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I don’t think Merkley’s attitude issues will make him fall too far. Scouts know these are young kids that are gonna mature mentally, try to remember how dumb you were when you were 17.
Tell that to the Islanders. It seems to be bad organizations that seem to think they can make these changes. Outside of Tampa's DeAngelo gamble, most of them are bad teams. Shinkaruk, Duclair, Ho-Sang, McCann, Kabanov and Day either haven't changed or don't seem likely to.

There's a big difference between immaturity and a toxic personality who is unwilling to change. Immaturity is partying too much or not being professional in appraoch like Kadri. Constantly feuding with management, not even attempting to change, berating teammates and such aren't things likely to change. DeAngelo hasn't really changed, and he while having anger issues, didn't take as many liberties outside of when he snapped.

Just wait til Babcock gets his hands on him
He'll be with Babs a week at most before he's permanently Keefe or whoever is coaching the Marlies problem.

I feel Merkley there is a huge disconnect between people who have watched him alot, compared to people who have HockeyDB'd him and looked at his highlights. I highly recommend to anyone that they read the Guelph Storm sub-forum here and get back here.

Reactions: highslot

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
Does anyone know if Jeff Woo is related to Kenny? From Anaheim's organization?

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I don’t think Merkley’s attitude issues will make him fall too far. Scouts know these are young kids that are gonna mature mentally, try to remember how dumb you were when you were 17.
Sure, plenty of people mature. But plenty don't as well. You ever run into someone who was a dbag in high school and they're still one years later? I was high on Merkley earlier in the year but the more I see of him and read, the more I'm convinced he'll never crack the NHL. Even players with attitude issues don't pull the stuff he does. He's got huge red flags and that's just not something I'd want to gamble on. There's so many other talented players you could take over him that aren't idiots. I hope he gets passed over for a few rounds, maybe that'll wake him up. It won't happen though, teams like the Islanders love picking these types early.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
I picked Merkley, the only reason is I remember Matthews talking about Nick Merkley being a friend, and this kid may or may not be a younger sibling. Ya, that's the dumbest reason ever, I know.

Welsh Maple Leaf

Jan 9, 2017
I could be wrong (probably)...

But isn't our need for RHD more immediate than a project? We already have a project there. I would say we go Center and get the RHD in Free agency.

Reactions: Liminality

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
From what little I know about this year's prospects, a move up to the 12th-17th drafting position might be a viable option. How the Leafs would accomplish doing so is the question. Any suggestions?

12-17 wont get us anywhere close to quinton hughes. not a single ranking even has him slipping to #10
If the leafs fall in love with a guy they might be able to move up a bit.

PickValue
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
lets assume we end up with pick 25

Pick 25 = 18.9 + Pick 52 (SJ) = 5.4 + Pick 83 (SJ) = 1.4 = 25.7

That only gets us up to pick 17-18. I only see it happening if they target a guy like Wilde/Veleno/McIsaac and that guy is still there . LA is in that range and they could probably use a couple extra good picks after not having a 1st in 2015 or 2016

Last edited:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I don't I want them to take a center, because when Freddy Gauthier is your best center prospect you have jack shit in terms of prospect depth at center

Reactions: therealkoho

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Fair.

I'd be all over choosing Merkley is they think they can sort him out. I've watched him quite a bit and his skill is undeniable. He can be very lazy on the defensive side of the puck.

He's hot ****ing garbage defensively. One of the WORST defenders i've ever watched at the OHL level, and selfish to boot. No thank you. He's a personality you don't let anywhere near a flourishing young core.

Give me one of the big NTDP kids who can defend, with offensive upside AND the size we're missing on the back end. Both of them move really well, too.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I say with this draft being defensive heavy, I can see the top 2/3rds of the draft being just that defensive happy. So because I feel the Leafs bigger need is a center because we have absolutely no depth there, I would go for the best center available in our slot. Actually would trade up if it meant getting a sure fire 2nd line center. I would use free agency or trade to acquire your top 4 RHD that is a need now not later.

Draft McLeod or Hayton or Veleno or Kupari. Move up if need be to get one of them.

Last edited:

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I want them to take the best player available - it doesn't have to be a Dman.

You never draft based on need.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I don't I want them to take a center, because when Freddy Gauthier is your best center prospect you have jack **** in terms of prospect depth at center

Jacob Olofsson is continually rated in the 20's. 6'2" 185 pounds, C

"Nothing about his game jumps out at you, but then again there are few if any glaring weaknesses. He does lean slightly towards the power forward end of the spectrum with his puck protection abilities and strength."

I obviously haven't seen him play but ~.5PPG in the allvenskan is very respectable though

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Sign me up for Sandin, but I'd be happy with any of those guys other than Merkley. Stay the hell away from headcases like that.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
I could be wrong (probably)...

But isn't our need for RHD more immediate than a project? We already have a project there. I would say we go Center and get the RHD in Free agency.

not from the draft where they will take several years anyways. lijegren will at least be rielly level imo, but top 4 upside at worst. he may not be a gud pro yet, but he has elite, elite skill according to one coach.

we also have rasanen and greenway who have a shot, with rasanen the better one. i've seen greenway and he already has at least ahl tools, great skating and stride for his size, physical, clean first passes and a good shot. he just needs his head in the game and to learn gap control, but imo he can keep up with the pace of the nhl.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad