which dman would you want the leafs to take with their 1st rd pick?

Which dmen should the leafs take?

• Total voters

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
I have seen a ton of Merkley, probably seen about 15 Storm games this year. Much like last year he demonstrates a very raw skill set, gambles and has play selection type issues. Easily thrown off his game but has a great compete. That said he has great offensive upside and would not be sad at all to add him.

another player not mentioned that could fall in the late 1st round or early 2nd is Rasmus Sandin a safer pick obviously less of a ceiling but could be a nice two way guy.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
For me, Mattias Samuelsson (LD) 6'3/205. He already has had the benefit of NHL development as Kjell is with Philly!

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I have seen a ton of Merkley, probably seen about 15 Storm games this year. Much like last year he demonstrates a very raw skill set, gambles and has play selection type issues. Easily thrown off his game but has a great compete. That said he has great offensive upside and would not be sad at all to add him.

another player not mentioned that could fall in the late 1st round or early 2nd is Rasmus Sandin a safer pick obviously less of a ceiling but could be a nice two way guy.
I see him take retaliatory penalties, but he has serious issues about tracking back and chasing down plays. So, what exactly do you mean by compete.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Jacob Olofsson is continually rated in the 20's. 6'2" 185 pounds, C

"Nothing about his game jumps out at you, but then again there are few if any glaring weaknesses. He does lean slightly towards the power forward end of the spectrum with his puck protection abilities and strength."

I obviously haven't seen him play but ~.5PPG in the allvenskan is very respectable though
My most recent viewing of him was 5 nations, where he was a complete ghost and didn't provide anything of note in a positive manner for Sweden. Curious to see how he does at U-18's, if Sweden goes.

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
Are you suggesting Woo is Biggs level??

Well Biggs is a 24 year old career ECHLer so no, I'm no suggesting Jett Woo is at Tyler Biggs' level.

I'm invoking caveat emptor against selecting a player based on superfluous factors e.g. a cool name, etc.

Too many players to be had in the first round not named Woo.

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
I’d rather try to move up to scoop someone like Veleno/Hayton. We need a C with top6 potential, what we have in the system right now is embarrassing.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
My most recent viewing of him was 5 nations, where he was a complete ghost and didn't provide anything of note in a positive manner for Sweden. Curious to see how he does at U-18's, if Sweden goes.

ah thanks, I haven't seen him. All ive seen is him rated around our pick and his pretty decent Allvenskan stats. I was hoping you had more intel, well maybe he does semi decently at the U18's. If he is lights out he moves way up the draft order we know what stock scouts put into those tournaments

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
I see him take retaliatory penalties, but he has serious issues about tracking back and chasing down plays. So, what exactly do you mean by compete.

it was said rather broadly, as you say he retaliates and over engages. he doesn't compete in a particularly positive way, more demonstrates competitive instincts. I think really hes just a dynamic high skill offensive player that can QB a PP but with some major holes in his game. My comment about his compete is more that I think he can overcome those issues.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I’ve seen him in prospect rankings but idk what his game is like tbh. What is he?

Steve Kournianos - The Draft Analyst - October 12th: "Alert and versatile forward with good speed and a wide range of attributes who has performed well beyond expectations as a 17-year-old playing key minutes in Finland’s top league. Kotkaniemi comes across as a smart, clean player with or without the puck and can play either center or wing. He is used on the penalty kill and in late-game situations, showing defensive prowess regardless of the job he’s assigned."

ÄssätLiiga57101929
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
4 points in 4 games at Hlinka.

6'2"-6'3" 17 year old... (Could grow more)

For example Teräväinen had 0.45 PPG, Aho had 0.41 PPG, Kapanen had 0.3 and he has 0.49 PPG.

Surprised more people aren't talking about him after today's performance. Had a great pass to set up a goal, and racked up 4 points.

He's not the flashiest guy on the ice for Finland, as Kakko catches your eye more than he does. But, he has good to great hands, very strong positioning and is an adept passes with good hockey IQ. I like his ability close to the net where he can use his hands and strength to slip in and put it in the net or create a clear opportunity. In a draft that lacks centers, I can see him going high. He was the best player on the ice for either team today, and outplayed Boqvist. Although, to be fair to Boqvist, I don't think the Swedish forwards are very talented and therefore don't make it easy for him. Him and Olofsson look to be on different tiers. Top 3 player in both games he played. Curious to see how he stacks up against the top American. If he can somewhat neutralize the USA's stacked top line, his stock will be very high in my eyes. Russia was obviously a challenge.

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
Steve Kournianos - The Draft Analyst - October 12th: "Alert and versatile forward with good speed and a wide range of attributes who has performed well beyond expectations as a 17-year-old playing key minutes in Finland’s top league. Kotkaniemi comes across as a smart, clean player with or without the puck and can play either center or wing. He is used on the penalty kill and in late-game situations, showing defensive prowess regardless of the job he’s assigned."

ÄssätLiiga57101929
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
4 points in 4 games at Hlinka.

6'2"-6'3" 17 year old... (Could grow more)

For example Teräväinen had 0.45 PPG, Aho had 0.41 PPG, Kapanen had 0.3 and he has 0.49 PPG.
Wow, that’s impressive. Seems like he’d be a Babcock player too. I wouldn’t mind him either tbh this draft is so deep

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
If it is strictly between the choices in the poll, I would go with Mattias Samuelsson. He is exactly what we need on the back end to compliment a guy like Liljegren. He has size, skill and is a good skater for his size, and is known for his two-way play with some offensive upside.

Leafers34

Feb 26, 2013
Coming into the year I was hoping we would take Bouchard, but his stock has skyrocketed into a top 5 pick now, being from London I see a lot of Merkley, so I voted for him.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
This is the first year since 2008 that I really don't care who they draft. I really don't. Whomever Hunter thinks is best is fine by me.

Is this what being a fan of a good team is like? Still feels foreign.

Reactions: supermann_98

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
His skillset is undeniable but there has been a lot of chatter about him being VERY immature and un-coachable. Think Josh Ho-Sang.

Ive seen Merkley play since he was 13 yrs old, same with Hosang. Since Hosang's 2nd year of minor midget, I never got the feeling Hosang loved the game. Hosang has a "ill play my way and i dare u to bench me mindset". Knowing the coach wants to win hockey games and Hosang has incredible talents but not enough love for the game to change his ways.

I'm convinced Merkley loves the game. His love of the game and dreams of being in the NHL could force a change in him. Merkley has this confidence about him, u can almost feel it. His IQ/vision combo could run an NHL powerplay right now. He has alot of fire inside, his emotions get the better of him at times.

Hunter knows all the inside info on players, Leafs wont draft a kid they feel isnt good in the room or can grow up down the road.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Is merkely worth the risk. He has some elite tools and great stats. But from what i have read from certain connected posters about him, he has similarity to deangelo in terms of character issues and is not very defensive conscious. I don't mind gling for a home run with our 1st. It would be similar to how leafs too liljgren last year(except lilijgren had some injury issues not character so much). He is a young guy and probably likes to party (guessing that's where the character issue thing comes from). Is he someone that would benefit from being with babcock and having great vet leaders ready to support him , helping him mature? I would go for him if we drafted from 20-25 range and wanted a defender.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad