Which Defensemen have a shot at The Calder in 2017?

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
In a vacuum I'd say that Provorov has the best chance, but I can't see him supplanting Ghost from PP1. At his best, he'll likely have a great but offensively quiet season at 25-30 points which won't dazzle enough to beat out a forward.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Werenski, Zaitsev, or Provorov.

Seeing two Russian names mentioned in a thread about "best defensemen", even for a rookie, fills my heart with warmth

I can't wait to see what prime Provorov and prime Sergachev can do. After team Canada, my favourite team is Russia by far. The majority of my favourite players/prospects are/have been Russian.

Can't wait, I'm planning to hit up St. Petersburg for about a week this May for the white nights.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Ryan Pulock if he's used properly this year, which I think he will be. Capuano seems to like him, he trusted him a lot in the playoffs over guys he liked throughout the season (Brian Strait, Marek Zidlicky). He could get 35 points this year.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I honestly think Zaitsev is the answer here. He will be a top pairing dman that is a few years older and more experienced than others. I love Werenski a lot but he is still so young and CBJ also has Murray and Jones that will eat up a ton of mins.

plgilbert

Apr 10, 2012
Quebec city
What about Jakob Chychrun?

As a Coyotes fan, I don't expect Chychrun to get more than 9 games with the Yotes this year. Hés been really great during the preseason so far but there is just too many Left defenseman with one way contract with the Yotes right now. He has an NHL body but another year in junior where he can dominate with Sarnia is better for him right now IMO than playing bottom pair minutes with the Yotes while being the 7th D on some nights.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
Esa Lindell has pro/WCoH experience, will be relied upon to be a top 4 defenseman, and will certainly put up points playing on the Stars. He's a dark horse candidate.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Esa Lindell has pro/WCoH experience, will be relied upon to be a top 4 defenseman, and will certainly put up points playing on the Stars. He's a dark horse candidate.

The way he has looked in the preseason I think he might start in the AHL. I don't think he has secured a spot in the top yet and since he doesn't need waivers he could go down and play top pair in the AHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad