Which Defensemen have a shot at The Calder in 2017?

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Zaitsev has looked incredible at the WC and in the pre season so far. More experienced than the others too. Has to be him.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Provorov has been fantastic so far in preseason. Dont care if he wins the Calder personally. Just hoping he has a solid season and shows growth.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Seeing two Russian names mentioned in a thread about "best defensemen", even for a rookie, fills my heart with warmth

It's because they have yet to play an NHL game. :naughty:

Kidding, they both look talented.

Russian Factor

Jan 8, 2015
Pittsburgh
I'm thinking Morrissey.

Maybe I'm dumb - they still have Pavelec and Stuart getting heavy minutes after all - but I'm high on WPG this year. I peg them (pun wasn't intended as I was typing that out I swear) to get over the hump this year. Above even EDM or BUF in terms of the strides forward they'll make.

They have every single element of a good team and way too much young talent not to make it work. Add in Morrissey to a young talented supporting cast and I think he and the rest of the team excel.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Matheson.

The table is set. He just needs to step-up.

He could be the best rookie but I'm not sure he will get the pp time or points needed..yandle and ekblad will probably dominate pp time maybe some demers too.. I just don't see the opportunity... maybe same problem with proverov too? If I have to pick a d I have to say Zaitsev

Deaner

Oct 9, 2011
If Ryan Pulock is eligible, he has a chance. He could score a lot of PP goals with that cannon.

I really hope so. Do you think the Seidenberg signing will affect his ability to get into (and stay in) the lineup. I know Capuano has his pets, plus they've been pretty cautious with their young talent since Bailey and Nino.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Plenty of forwards have a good shot.
Auston Matthews
Patrik Laine
Mitchell Marner
William Nylander
Dylan Strome
Jesse Puljujarvi
Vesey
etc.

Any thoughts on which defensemen - if any - would have a chance of winning the Calder?

Provorov
Werenski
Zaitsev

This is going to be interesting year again. Puljujarvi, Strome, Matthews, Laine, and Werenski should be the major horses. Maybe Marner or Nylander too but I think they will be in the shadow of Matthews.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I think the forward group is way more talented than the D group so it's highly unlikely, however came here to say that if things go the right way for Pulock out of the gate he could make it happen. Isles are still looking for someone to step up and say the PP is theirs. Leddy hasn't done it yet. We'll see.

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
Only way Provorov gets in Calder contention is if he plays on the 2nd PP unit. Not sure if he would over Streit and MDZ though. Doesn't mean he won't be great though. Best D prospect in the league.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Matheson.

Not just saying that because I'm a Panthers' fan. It will either be sink or swim with him. If it's swim, he will be getting minutes like a veteran. The Panthers set the situation up like this, they have no choice.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
He could be the best rookie but I'm not sure he will get the pp time or points needed..yandle and ekblad will probably dominate pp time maybe some demers too.. I just don't see the opportunity... maybe same problem with proverov too? If I have to pick a d I have to say Zaitsev

i still think Matheson starts with Ekblad tbh.

And Matheson will get pp time over demers

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Matheson.

Not just saying that because I'm a Panthers' fan. It will either be sink or swim with him. If it's swim, he will be getting minutes like a veteran. The Panthers set the situation up like this, they have no choice.

pretty much this.

Matheson wont be sheltered. He wasnt in the playoffs, he wont be now.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Funny that after Panarin has an extreme outlier of a transplant year glued to the hip of Patrick Kane that now people expect it to be the norm.

Werenski is the only one with a shot IMO.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Yeah it's gotta be Werenski. I could see him stealing time from Murray on the PP and even Johnson as he hasn't be doing **** lately. A Werenski - Jones pairing could be pretty lethal and pairing him with Savard on the PK wouldn't be a bad idea either.

The opportunity is definitely there, the only question is whether he can take advantage or not..

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00