Which Defensemen have a shot at The Calder in 2017?

DJIncognito

Jun 9, 2007
Plenty of forwards have a good shot.
Auston Matthews
Patrik Laine
Mitchell Marner
William Nylander
Dylan Strome
Jesse Puljujarvi
Vesey
etc.

Any thoughts on which defensemen - if any - would have a chance of winning the Calder?

Provorov
Werenski
Zaitsev

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I would say Werenski personally. He looks like he belongs and the Jackets are set up well where there's good enough guys where he can be sheltered a bit at the start, but not good enough he couldn't surpass on the depth chart if he proves himself.

Mike Hasselhoffman

Bell Centre Baywatch
Sep 17, 2011
Werenski has a shot, I'm also going to go off the board and say Thomas Chabot. He'll have plenty of opportunities to put up points with most defenses focusing on Karlsson.

Willy Styles

Nov 5, 2014
York Region
Puljujarvi is likely starting off in the AHL while he gets used to the north american ice.

From the defensemen Zaitsev is probably the favorite.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Zaitsev might be the favorite among D. Not that the has the highest career outlook, but he has the developed player, new to NHL eligibility that helped Panarin last year.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Provorov has the best IMO

See I don't think Provy will because he don't get the points that would be needed...not with Ghost getting #1 PP time.

Personally, I don't see any D finishing top 3 in voting. The forwards will be too good.

And fwiw, Zaitsev is looking great.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
See I don't think Provy will because he don't get the points that would be needed...not with Ghost getting #1 PP time.

Personally, I don't see any D finishing top 3 in voting. The forwards will be too good.

Yeah you generally need 40+ points as a defensemen to be seriously considered &/or win. I don't see Provorov doing that personally. I would have him somewhere around 20-25 points possibly.

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013
Zaitsev has the most experience, he would have to have stellar point totals though to win it (50 points)

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
Zaitzev has good chance but he isn't a rookie in my mind.

So for a TRUE rookie I would go with Werenski.

So solid in both ends and he is on the PK and PP

scan15*

May 11, 2016
GTA
Looks like Babcock is willing to put Zaitsev on the 1st PP unit. That puts him ahead of Werenski and Provorov right now.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
after seeing him in person, if given the opportunity, i think provorov can do a hell of a lot. then again i haven't seen the others so i can't comment.

isn't there someone who's technically still calder eligible, that clearly dominated last year? can't remember who it was

edit: ah, it was matt murray, he's still eligible

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Werenski has a shot, I'm also going to go off the board and say Thomas Chabot. He'll have plenty of opportunities to put up points with most defenses focusing on Karlsson.

I would bet on Chabot going back to junior this year. The kid is an amazing prospect, but he still needs to polish his defensive game.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
In terms of who is probably the best "rookie" defenseman right now and who's going to be put into a position to succeed, it's Zaitsev. He pretty much going to have a top-four spot locked and was already Russia's 1D at the WC.

I really like Werenski though.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I know I'm being biased, but I think Morrissey could be in the conversation. He's played 4 games in the past 5 days and has been flawless. On top of that he's very likely to be top 4 paired with either Buff or Myers and I personally believe he would be a lot better than Myers on the PP. So if everything aligns, including him getting PP time, he could put up a decent amount of points to go along with his very solid defensive game.

Harambae

Sep 17, 2016
id say provorov has a shot he looked really good in the whl last year. Although i think it's gonna be a forward that wins the calder this year

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Seeing two Russian names mentioned in a thread about "best defensemen", even for a rookie, fills my heart with warmth

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad