Which Defenseman do we go after

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Let's pretend like that is actually possible. The real question would be would Murray ever take on a contract like Weber's?
He would without any hesitation if the owners were covering the salary.

DSP
Holland
Bryan Allen

for
Dion Phaneuf
Not enough for the Leafs to move him. None of our guys have much value, and it doesn't help the Leafs, at all, who are looking to contend for the playoffs. Also, I really don't know if Phaneuf's the answer for us. At that price, it would be an easy yes, but he wouldn't be remotely available at that price tag.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
We can`t trade for a good defenseman without sending some salary back. Are Flames very interested in getting a goalie? Hiller for Giordano as main pieces would make a lot of sense from our side - Giordano is the type of player that we would be interested in, and their salaries are almost identical, except Hillers contract is up after this season, while Giordano have 2 years after that. Not sure if it would make sense for Calgary, though, but i would definately be happy with this.

agh, i can dream, right?

EDIT: very interesting video of Giordano`s ability :laugh:

Last edited:

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Sorry to be that guy but...

Brooks Orpik:
The Penguins are contenders. They don't need more forwards and they don't need prospects and picks.

Alexander Edler:
Teams trying to contend don't trade players of Edler's caliber a day before the season starts.

Luke Schenn:
The Flyers would deal Meszaros or Coburn before him. Trading him for no appearent reason wouldn't keep his brother happy.

Mark Giordano:
Was just named the Flames captain. Not happening.

Dan Girardi:
See Edler.

Jonathan Ericsson:
Detroit's defense isn't looking very impressive as it is. No reason for them to trade him for a worse defenseman, a forward or prospect/pick.

Michal Rozsival:
The Blackhawks just re-signed him this summer. Highly unlikely.

Dion Phaneuf:
Toronto is looking better than in a long time. The team has a very good chance of making the playoffs. Trading him makes the team weaker, how is that going to look with the fans?

---

Not to mention... Rozsival, Ericsson, Orpik, Edler and Giordano all have NTC's of some sort.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
To get a quality top 4 defenseman, get ready to trade someone like Palmieri. Seems like an unessecary move with Souray coming back eventually. I'd rather stick to what we have, and trade for that defenseman at the deadline when prospects and picks actually have value.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I doubt we can get something really fast. We have to wait until few months into the season, imo. But you made good points, Elvs. However, there ussually are more options during the season, so we`ll see.

But you never know what is happening in Bob`s mind :laugh:

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I doubt we can get something really fast. We have to wait until few months into the season, imo. But you made good points, Elvs. However, there ussually are more options during the season, so we`ll see.

But you never know what is happening in Bob`s mind :laugh:

You're right, obviously something could happen earlier than the deadline, but I think those expecting a trade for a good defenseman soon are setting themselves up for dissappointment. Even if there's a trade for a defenseman a month or two into the season, we're probably getting someone who failed to live up to expectations.

I guess someone could become available if a couple of teams has some kids stepping up making some veteran expendable, but rarely do teams trade top 4 guys until they have given up on making the postseason, especially in trades involving picks or prospects.

Jul 22, 2012
I highly doubt BM has any intentions of bringing in a stud dman. Fowler/Lindholm are supposed to be those guys for us.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I highly doubt BM has any intentions of bringing in a stud dman. Fowler/Lindholm are supposed to be those guys for us.

Yeah, well... it can take some time.

But, unfortunately, it just seems that it is the thing Bob is doing.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Murray already used his ammo to get a big-ticket defenseman. Instead he got a package of young forwards instead. Which means he didn't see the need for it at the time.

He also didn't sign any UFAs for that position.

Now rosters are mostly set. Teams are happy with what they have. No one of note will be moved until a few months later.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Murray already used his ammo to get a big-ticket defenseman. Instead he got a package of young forwards instead. Which means he didn't see the need for it at the time.

Now rosters are mostly set. Teams are happy with what they have. No one of note will be moved until a few months later.

I think it was more the fact that the move wasn't out there for a good #2 center or top pairing defender.

duxfan8

Sep 13, 2011
South Bay
I think it was more the fact that the move wasn't out there for a good #2 center or top pairing defender.
Agreed. Murray is not that oblivious. He knows we need defense. He also knows there aren't any deals available now. At least he combated the defensive weakness with more offensive power. Hopefully we score a ton!

bootsgaudet

Oct 15, 2012
Mike Green - could see somthing being figured out
trevor daley
alex golosoki

id make plays for these guys, feel like wash and dal would look into dealing at least one of them

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia

Did I miss something? Which 'big-ticket' defensemen were on the market this summer?

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Did I miss something? Which 'big-ticket' defensemen were on the market this summer?

There weren't any, and are a rarity to begin with. However, contrary to popular belief, trading Bobby for that package actually probably gained us ammo if such an opportunity arose, not the other way around. In the unlikely event a high end defenseman becomes available, it will almost certainly be from a rebuilding team, and a guy like Bobby Ryan probably doesn't entice them all that much. But, by adding two forwards with pretty good potential and a first round pick, that adds even more bullets for such a deal. You look at Ottawa, who had many bullets of their own, and were able to get a guy like Ryan. Now we're in the same position, and just have to play the waiting game.

As for who, biggest candidate on the horizon I can see is Brent Seabrook. Hawks obviously will want to keep him, but the salary cap might have a say in that. Toews and Kane are both due up at the end of 14/15, will surely demand deals similar, if not exceeding, to Perry and Getzlaf, and Crawford's extension kicks in for next year. That alone is probably upwards of $10 million. Even with some expirings and whatnot, it's feasible that they'll look to deal Seabrook, especially with all the rumors of such prior to the playoffs. Giordano's another one. Not right now, as Jay Feaster is a crazy person and considers him untouchable, but once the inevitable happens and Burke takes over, if he's willing to waive, then it's a definite possibility. It's certainly possible that he and Glencross refuse to waive, hence the untouchable talk, but I know his does expire before his contract does.

SmokeyDuck

Jul 27, 2010
Anaheim, CA
He would without any hesitation if the owners were covering the salary.

Not enough for the Leafs to move him. None of our guys have much value, and it doesn't help the Leafs, at all, who are looking to contend for the playoffs. Also, I really don't know if Phaneuf's the answer for us. At that price, it would be an easy yes, but he wouldn't be remotely available at that price tag.

DSP Holland and a conditional 1st has no value? Phanuef is a UFA and Toronto will have to resign Kessel as well, its possible they will try to move him.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
DSP Holland and a conditional 1st has no value? Phanuef is a UFA and Toronto will have to resign Kessel as well, its possible they will try to move him.

No, it really isn't. They finally made the playoffs last year, but after almost beating Boston, expectations are through the roof. If anything, they'll be in heavy "buy" mode all season long, where the salary cap permits.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
No, it really isn't. They finally made the playoffs last year, but after almost beating Boston, expectations are through the roof. If anything, they'll be in heavy "buy" mode all season long, where the salary cap permits.

That's a hell of an overstatement. Phaneuf isn't going anywhere especially for prospects and a draft. They are a playoff team but let's not get crazy about where they expect themselves to go in the playoffs.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005

None, but then again Ryan wasn't really either.

I guess my point is that the best time to get a big guy with years on his contract is then. And that Ryan was the best piece to use for something like that. Otherwise you are going to get guys on expiring contracts at deadline or underperformers midway into the season.

Last edited:

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
None, but then again Ryan wasn't really either.

I guess my point is that the best time to get a big guy with years on his contract is then. And that Ryan was the best piece to use for something like that. Otherwise you are going to get guys on expiring contracts at deadline or underperformers midway into the season.

That's funny, Bryan Murray thought he was. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad