Which Defenseman do we go after

SmokeyDuck

Jul 27, 2010
Anaheim, CA
No, it really isn't. They finally made the playoffs last year, but after almost beating Boston, expectations are through the roof. If anything, they'll be in heavy "buy" mode all season long, where the salary cap permits.

Just because Toronto is in buy now mode does not mean that Holland DSP and a conditional first has no value as a package. They definitely have value. I do agree that Toronto is not in a selling position, the only reason why they would trade Phanuef is if they thought they could not resign him. That package stated could get a decent dman, probably not Phanuef though.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
I've been looking at the teams around the league over the last day, and the one defenseman that seems like he could be had, that would also be a fit for what they need, is Yandle. They are desperate for help up front, and Yandle's name pops up a lot on the rumor mill - to be fair, that may just be because Arizona is the whipping boy of the league.

My guess on price:
Silf or Palms: We may not have a choice in which.
One of Holland, Etem, Rakell, or Karlsson: We may be able to subtract one name from that list depending on how satisfied they are with the first piece. They would get some choice in this, too.
A pick, most likely a 1st.
Souray or Allen: We'd have to include a cap dump from our blue line. They get to choose. We may get a late pick back to offset it.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I've been looking at the teams around the league over the last day, and the one defenseman that seems like he could be had, that would also be a fit for what they need, is Yandle. They are desperate for help up front, and Yandle's name pops up a lot on the rumor mill - to be fair, that may just be because Arizona is the whipping boy of the league.

My guess on price:
Silf or Palms: We may not have a choice in which.
One of Holland, Etem, Rakell, or Karlsson: We may be able to subtract one name from that list depending on how satisfied they are with the first piece. They would get some choice in this, too.
A pick, most likely a 1st.
Souray or Allen: We'd have to include a cap dump from our blue line. They get to choose. We may get a late pick back to offset it.

I don't think that would be a bad deal for us. We have too many young forwards anyway. They are not all going to be top 6 players in ANA. The tough part would be trying to figure out who you want to keep and who you want to move. 5 years from now that could be another Teemu trade for us, or it could be the opposite. And nobody knows today, which would be which.

But I would guess that they might want one of Sami or Magnus in lieu of the Holland, Etem, Rakell, or Karlsson group. Or maybe in addition to???

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
I don't think that would be a bad deal for us. We have too many young forwards anyway. They are not all going to be top 6 players in ANA. The tough part would be trying to figure out who you want to keep and who you want to move. 5 years from now that could be another Teemu trade for us, or it could be the opposite. And nobody knows today, which would be which.

But I would guess that they might want one of Sami or Magnus in lieu of the Holland, Etem, Rakell, or Karlsson group. Or maybe in addition to???
Their D is pretty set, even if they lost Yandle, which is why I didn't put Sami or Hampus in there. Their prospects and team are badly in need of offensive help.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad