Which Defenseman do we go after

Ducks Ahoy

Effort = overrated
Jun 9, 2013
Orange County
It's obvious that we need big help defensively. And with speculation and a very likely trade involving the Ducks in the near future, which defenseman do we attempt to bring to Anaheim? Let's list 3 d-men that would be a likely acquisition by the Ducks.

Brooks Orpik - solid d-man. Big and can hit but can still move the puck. I know his contract is up after this season but if the Ducks get him I think it would be worth it to resign him.

Alexander Edler - it would take a lot, but he could be a big asset to our blueline

Luke Schenn

Not gonna type anymore because I'm about to get on a plane. What do you guys think?

Fallenity

Apr 12, 2011
Funnily enough, I got Orpik in my Be a GM for Anaheim and he's been rock solid.

But back in the real world, I want to see how our defense plays out before going trading. If Sbisa or Lovejoy steps up and Vatanen is OK, I don't see us needing a new D-man unless more long-term injuries occure.

Ducks Ahoy

Effort = overrated
Jun 9, 2013
Orange County
Funnily enough, I got Orpik in my Be a GM for Anaheim and he's been rock solid.

But back in the real world, I want to see how our defense plays out before going trading. If Sbisa or Lovejoy steps up and Vatanen is OK, I don't see us needing a new D-man unless more long-term injuries occure.

No way same here! I got him just last week in Be a GM and that's what got me thinking about this haha

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
With several fw's more than likely gone next season either via retirement or not being resigned, we are not as deep as it may seem IMO.

For the assets it would take to get say an Edler, I think it would leave us short up front in the following season.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Depends on if Murray wants to go for a legit number one or another 3-4. If its another one of those guys I'd rather just wait for Lindholm and or Vatanen

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Brooks Orpik - solid d-man. Big and can hit but can still move the puck. I know his contract is up after this season but if the Ducks get him I think it would be worth it to resign him.
I don't see it happening. The Pens are playing for the cup, and Orpik's still an important piece on their backend. They would really have to get ridiculous performances from Despres and/or Maatta to consider moving him before the playoffs, even if he isn't signing an extension.

Alexander Edler - it would take a lot, but he could be a big asset to our blueline
There's nothing it would take, most likely - he has a NTC now. Would have to expect he doesn't waive it for almost anyone. Even if he would, see the argument for Orpik, only even to a far bigger degree.

Luke Schenn
Seems very unlikely. Flyers won't split up the brothers so quickly (especially after having given up big pieces to get either), and they need exactly his type themselves just as much as we do. Not a fit for a deal.

Let's list 3 d-men that would be a likely acquisition by the Ducks.
Way more likely something smaller / under the radar. Maybe a guy like Chris Philips from the Sens, who's role is in danger there. Just as an example of a situation. You won't get a guy that's filling a big role on a team firmly in the playoff race. Either a guy on a worse team, or a guy with a very limited role. Maybe Giordano if the Flames do as everyone expects them to and he doesn't like heading down that road. (I know he was named captain, but don't think that matters much some months from now.)

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
I would love to go after edler or girardi.

Both teams will look to contend, at the very least for the playoffs. While Edler in addition to that has an NTC, there maybe could be a remote chance Girardi can't cope with Vigneault and sees his role decrease behind McDonagh, a recovered Staal, Del Zotto and a greatly improving Moore - but that's a very, very long shot. Most likely not going to be available.

quentez

#8 Teemu Legend
Apr 2, 2011
Trondheim, Norway
I wouldn't mind a guy like Jonathan Ericsson ($3.25m, 1 year left). Michal Rozsival ($2.2, 2 years left) could be a good partner for Fowler as well.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
Problem is we have to move a big contract to acquire a d-man and that complicates things. I could see Sbisa moved but I'll echo Exit Dose about it being to make space for Lindholm. Not any time soon though. Next summer however opens up a lot of options. But as far as this season goes and I think we have all the d-men we're going have for the foreseeable future.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Teams don't trade quality defensemen away just when the season is about to start... If anything, we'll get someone similar to Lovejoy, meaning a #6-7 defensemen and hoping a change of scenery will do good.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I don't think they were happy with where the two kids were at.

And if that's the case, it's another reason we should be happy with this.

We've come down hard on Murray in the past for going with an unproven, and hoping he figures it out. Well, this is the opposite of that. This is relying on a more proven player and, at least, having a contingency plan.

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
Will never happen but id do perry for weber without a 2nd thought.

the type if guy we need just dont come avilable very often. Maybe we get lucky and a guy like markov becomes available

George Binks

#MakeAnaheimGr8Again
Jul 28, 2012
DSP
Holland
Bryan Allen

for
Dion Phaneuf

Toronto gets our first round pick if Phaneuf resigns in Anaheim

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad