Which current player in the NHL is the most devoted to the sport of hockey?

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
It's gotta be Sid the Kid. Guy balls out.

He doesn't have social media. Back to back Conn Smythes? This guy can do whatever he wants with the puck. He really is an absolute wizard.

Pretty much the Nick Lidstrom of his time. I hate pens and I'm even saying this. :madfire:

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Isn't scheifele supposed to be obsessed with hockey knowing everyone's stats and stuff . Couture too . IDK if most obsessed counts as most devoted tho

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Crosby. His dedication is apparent in how he's been able to constantly improve deficiencies to his game by working on them.

Guy is a legend and will be remembered as an all-around machine unlike Gretz and Mario.

HockeyAnalystGenius

Jun 15, 2017
You'd be surprised if you spent time around the locker rooms. Whole lotta stories. Can figure it out on your own. There's more than one, and that's saying something.

- Genius out

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Sid.

'nuff said.

He really seems like the guy who'll take this unofficial title after Jagr hangs them up. But at this point there is not a single player in the league who has put in more than Jagr.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Yeah but a good part of that I'm sure is because he's been blessed with abnormally high career longevity.

He's not blessed. He's worked his butt off more than any other player in the league. His training and dedication is well documented.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Jagr by and far. He's devoted his entire life to hockey.

I do think Jagr is also extremely dedicated and worthy of the title of most dedicated but I gave the nod to Crosby in that he never stops trying to improve parts of his games and be a more complete player. Jagr I feel has longevity on his side and knows how to train his body to play. I do not however feel that Jagr was ever as dedicated as Sid is to improving his overall game on the defensive side and learning new roles.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I do think Jagr is also extremely dedicated and worthy of the title of most dedicated but I gave the nod to Crosby in that he never stops trying to improve parts of his games and be a more complete player. Jagr I feel has longevity on his side and knows how to train his body to play. I do not however feel that Jagr was ever as dedicated as Sid is to improving his overall game on the defensive side and learning new roles.

Well, I have to disagree. Jagr has devoted his life in improving his skills just as much as his devoted in his nutrition and physical training. His bit about learning how to improve his slapshot just few years back is a great example on it (he actually took Sid as a model to tune his skill). He's never stopped improving himself and never stopped inventing new techniques to improve his chances of beating his opponents. He never dedicated himself to improving his all-around game in similar way as Crosby has done, but he's always worked insanely hard in improving his skills as a hockey player.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Scheifele may not reach the level of play and accolades that Crosby has, but I don't think you'll find a bigger student of the game and overall hockey nerd in the NHL right now.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Well, I have to disagree. Jagr has devoted his life in improving his skills just as much as his devoted in his nutrition and physical training. His bit about learning how to improve his slapshot just few years back is a great example on it (he actually took Sid as a model to tune his skill). He's never stopped improving himself and never stopped inventing new techniques to improve his chances of beating his opponents. He never dedicated himself to improving his all-around game in similar way as Crosby has done, but he's always worked insanely hard in improving his skills as a hockey player.

No doubt about that at all. As you said however, he focused and dedicated himself immensely to improving his offensive skills understandably. Crosby on the other hand has rounded out his game so much at this point that I can't think of any aspect of his game that is a weakness. All in all though, both are deserving.

Kuhta

Dec 8, 2006
Helsinki
Obviously Jagr. The guy has not married nor had kids because he has no time for such things while playing professionally ice hockey. He said that will get to those things after active career. That is either commitment to the sport or obsession. Either way, one of the better careers in the history so seemed to work.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
No doubt about that at all. As you said however, he focused and dedicated himself immensely to improving his offensive skills understandably. Crosby on the other hand has rounded out his game so much at this point that I can't think of any aspect of his game that is a weakness. All in all though, both are deserving.

Fair enough. I don't really agree with your reasoning since improving skills is improving skills. But I get your point.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
This is such a difficult question to quantify or answer. I don't think Sid lacking a social media presence really is illustrative of it.

Everything I hear about Mark Schiefele makes me think the guy is extremely dedicated. There's also those kids who moved a continent over at 14 like Provorov to have a better shot.

First hand knowledge wise, the guy I would have to nominate is Tavares. I was in London when he was on the Knights for a brief period of time. I knew some people on the team, and a bunch of them liked to party and live it up (not that I'm knocking this). You would see Kadri, Carlson, Del Zotto, Rinaldo, etc around town. Tavares, despite being the biggest name and known, the guy put everything he had in to being an NHL. While I'd see these guys out at JBR's or Frog wheelin co-eds from UWO and local puck bunnies, Tavares would be at his billets, playing NHL or Call of Duty, going to bed early and rising before everyone else to put in work. His teammates weren't lazy, and they worked, but his work ethic was unmatched, even among a group of guys who became top 6 or top 4 NHLers. I remember the controversy caused by Kadri when he said that he may be as skilled as Tavares, but he never worked like him. People knocked him for either belittling Tavares's skill or being lazy, but anyone familiar with that team knew he meant that Tavares work ethic was unmatched, even by most NHLers. The kid has had a pro mindset since 14.

I'm sure what I said about Tavares, could probably be also said about guys like Sid, Toews and many others. I just happen to know about Tavares's work ethic from his teammates who witnessed it first hand.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Fair enough. I don't really agree with your reasoning since improving skills is improving skills. But I get your point.

No worries at all. To me, dedication is not only about putting in the time but also a desire to learn and improve at all facets of the game which is why I think Crosby is my most dedicated; if he finds a weakness, he will practice the most minute and tedious details until he gets it. A true student of the game.

I think disagreements will arise because there is no clear definition of dedication to the sport of hockey.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
Obviously Jagr. The guy has not married nor had kids because he has no time for such things while playing professionally ice hockey. He said that will get to those things after active career. That is either commitment to the sport or obsession. Either way, one of the better careers in the history so seemed to work.

That's a good point.

Anyway, it might be a non top player who is the most devoted one, but it does not fit the narrative of success-dedication.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
No worries at all. To me, dedication is not only about putting in the time but also a desire to learn and improve at all facets of the game which is why I think Crosby is my most dedicated; if he finds a weakness, he will practice the most minute and tedious details until he gets it. A true student of the game.

I think disagreements will arise because there is no clear definition of dedication to the sport of hockey.

Yeah, you're right that there is more than one way to interpret what dedication to hockey means and we simply have different ideas of the specific aspects of it. Nevertheless, Jagr and Crosby are both excellent answers.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
It's gotta be Sid the Kid. Guy balls out.

He doesn't have social media. Back to back Conn Smythes? This guy can do whatever he wants with the puck. He really is an absolute wizard.

Pretty much the Nick Lidstrom of his time. I hate pens and I'm even saying this. :madfire:

Another blind and deaf panegyric to poster boy. No, he is not.

Not promoting the sport on social media is a minus.

Dull personality doesn't help either.

Doesn't deserve any of the both Conn Smythes.

He can do whatever he wants with the puck, but compared to real wizards he is just good.

The only true answer to your question is Jaromir Jagr. At 45 he is wants more and he can do more. He is the most dedicated hockey player I could think of. Has a great personality, is a tremedous guy to look up to for younger players of all ages and doesn't need the whole NA media to push his popularity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad