Which country has a stronger football team: USA or Canada?

Stronger soccer team?

• USA

Votes: 48 82.8%
  • Canada

Votes: 10 17.2%

• Total voters

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
This is kind of a dumb post. We are talking about rankings not table. FIFA rankings are basically power rankings.
It is more algorithmic based than I thought it was, but I still don’t think it’s the best measure, and I would like the people that think it’s the best measure to explicitly state that it is and why they think it is

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
It is more algorithmic based than I thought it was, but I still don’t think it’s the best measure, and I would like the people that think it’s the best measure to explicitly state that it is and why they think it is
I’d agree with this. It’s not a great measure and shouldn’t be taken as the end all.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
When a wealthy country of 300 plus million with half of it's geography in the warm weather zone can't even be superior to a cold weather country in a sport like tennis it's probably best not to talk about how lousy another country is in sports.
You can play tennis indoors. What the hell does the weather have to do with playing tennis?

If you can’t see that soccer and tennis aren’t popular sports here in the states, than it is a silly argument to begin with.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
You can play tennis indoors. What the hell does the weather have to do with playing tennis?

If you can’t see that soccer and tennis aren’t popular sports here in the states, than it is a silly argument to begin with.
Most of the tennis infrastructure (at least in Canada and i'm sure in the U.S too) is outdoors though, and Canada is a cold weather country.

You don't get the implications there? how you should roast us in that sport but currently aren't as good when we finally start to give even half a shit about the sport despite your climate/population advantanges?

What does that say about your so called athletic greatness?.. I won't even go into other aspects of what your sports standing is built on because I don't want to get that going here but I'll just say...........it ain't anything to be proud of.

In other news it's been a hoot to watch the U.S coach in his after game press conference here talk about how the U.S showed the world how they play football.

You mean you are proud you showed the world how to play the sport at a subpar level at this stage?

Cripes, what bullshit.

Last edited:

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Most of the tennis infrastructure (at least in Canada) is outdoors though, and Canada is a cold weather country.

You don't get the implications there? how you should roast us in that sport but currently aren't as good when we finally start to give even half a shit about the sport?

What does that say about your so called athletic greatness?.. I won't even go into other aspects of what your sports standing is built on because I don't want to get that going here but I'll just say...........it ain't anything to be proud of.

In other news it's been a hoot to watch the U.S coach in his after game press conference here talk about how the U.S showed the world how they play football.

You mean you are proud you showed the world how to play the sport at a subpar level at this stage?

Cripes, what bullshit.
Damn dude. You seem like you would be great fun at parties.

Who the hell even cares about tennis? I bet about .3% of the USA does. Where did the tennis argument even come from?

It is not hard to see that the USA produces better athletes than Canada. Whatever the reason you want to find. Whether it be due to sheer population differences, (or some other ridiculous notion which you were already gearing up to say).

It’s not surprising that some countries are attracted to one sport while the other simply isn’t. Canada to the US are simply not good countries to compare because we don’t have an equivalent sports wise that both countries are equally invested into. Truthfully, soccer is probably the closest. This isn’t Brazil vs France where the entire country is invested in soccer. The USA and Canada have other sports that are simply more popular to young athletes.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Damn dude. You seem like you would be great fun at parties.

Who the hell even cares about tennis? I bet about .3% of the USA does. Where did the tennis argument even come from?

It is not hard to see that the USA produces better athletes than Canada. Whatever the reason you want to find. Whether it be due to sheer population differences, (or some other ridiculous notion which you were already gearing up to say).

It’s not surprising that some countries are attracted to one sport while the other simply isn’t. Canada to the US are simply not good countries to compare because we don’t have an equivalent sports wise that both countries are equally invested into. Truthfully, soccer is probably the closest.
Oh, now it's............" who even cares about tennis?" Thousands upon thousands of courts in that country and one of the primo grand slams of the sport being the U.S open...............but nobody cares down there!!

I had a good laugh there anyway, perhaps you're not such a bad guy after all, I like to laugh.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Oh, now it's............" who even cares about tennis?" Thousands upon thousands of courts in that country and one of the primo grand slams of the sport being the U.S open...............but nobody cares down there!!

I had a good laugh there anyway, perhaps you're not such a bad guy after all, I like to laugh.
Tennis is less popular than ice hockey and boxing here in the states. 7th rated sport and even farther down the line when it comes to viewership.

And primo grand slams are held here because of the sheer amount of sponsorships and money available.

And yeah, facts on the subject are a real knee slapper. I agree.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Before this rightfully gets locked I am standing by that USA was not one of the 16 best teams in Qatar. Canada also gets out of Group B, but also lose to Netherlands. See the haters in four years.
I don't have them as a top 16 country in the world either, but that's mostly because I have Italy and Nigeria ahead of them, as they should be. But they were a top 16 country in Qatar IMO and most of their team is going to be better and more experienced next world cup, if they can stay healthy (looking mostly at Pulisic and especially Reyna here) One of Sargent, Weah, Ferreira, Vazquez, Pepi or Pefok could also become that striker they're missing. Canada has more holes to fill and some of their starters are going to be retired by the time the next WC comes.

Reactions: gary69

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Tennis is less popular than ice hockey and boxing here in the states. 7th rated sport and even farther down the line when it comes to viewership.

And primo grand slams are held here because of the sheer amount of sponsorships and money available.

And yeah, facts on the subject are a real knee slapper. I agree.
Tennis less popular then the nhl? I'd like to see the viewership numbers on the U.S open vs the stanley cup final,

And participation numbers? yeah........i'd like to see those two sports head to head in numbers down there too. I'm pretty damn sure a hell of a lot more Americans play tennis then hockey seeing as even a load of old folks play tennis................but not hockey. Way more tennis courts then hockey arenas too. Cheaper to build and maintain. And back to what we were talking about......................numbers playing produces top level players,Regardless if tennis is more popular then hockey or not you can be sure the U.S has far bigger numbers then Canada playing tennis, you know it and I know it. It's not like Canada cares a great deal about tennis either so there goes that argument.

Theres some facts for you, knee slap that. The U,S should EASILY be far superior in tennis then Canada, but currently, they aren't.

But I thought you were so good and we are so lousy at everything?

Isn't that what you said? that Canada can play hockey and a few other bullshit winter sports and that's it? I do believe you wrote that.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I don't have them as a top 16 country in the world either, but that's mostly because I have Italy and Nigeria ahead of them, as they should be. But they were a top 16 country in Qatar IMO and most of their team is going to be better and more experienced next world cup, if they can stay healthy (looking mostly at Pulisic and especially Reyna here) One of Sargent, Weah, Ferreira, Vazquez, Pepi or Pefok could also become that striker they're missing. Canada has more holes to fill and some of their starters are going to be retired by the time the next WC comes.
For sure there is a good core here. But you are asking a lot of a striker to emerge. That’s the hardest piece

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Tennis less popular then the nhl? I'd like to see the viewership numbers on the U.S open vs the stanley cup final,

And participation numbers? yeah........i'd like to see those two sports head to head in numbers down there too. I'm pretty damn sure a hell of a lot more Americans play tennis then hockey seeing as even a load of old folks play tennis................but not hockey. Way more tennis courts then hockey arenas too. Cheaper to build and maintain. And back to what we were talking about......................numbers playing produces top level players,Regardless if tennis is more popular then hockey or not you can be sure the U.S has far bigger numbers then Canada playing tennis, you know it and I know it. It's not like Canada cares a great deal about tennis either so there goes that argument.

Theres some facts for you, knee slap that. The U,S should EASILY be far superior in tennis then Canada, but currently, they aren't.

But I thought you were so good and we are so lousy at everything?

Isn't that what you said? that Canada can play hockey and a few other bullshit winter sports and that's it? I do believe you wrote that.
Get ready for another knee slapper. Because this is the best one. I wasn’t even the one who said that the US is better than Canada at all these sports. Something you can easily scroll up the page and see for yourself.

It’s also a real shocker that more people play tennis here compared to Canada a country with almost 10x less people. Truly a shocker. Still doesn’t change the fact that the country as a whole aren’t that interested or invested in it.

And the final point average audience watching the US Open was 1.21 million here in the US. Average attendance for the Stanley Cup? 4+ million.

Once again, tennis here is a middling sport that has far more value recreationally with old timers and people wanting to stay in shape than it ever will as an athletic outlet in the USA.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
For sure there is a good core here. But you are asking a lot of a striker to emerge. That’s the hardest piece
It's also a position where it's not uncommon for players to take huge strides in a couple of years, especially when they build some confidence. If you told me a few years ago when Pefok (then still Siebatcheu) left Rennes to go to Young Boys (saw him with both teams in the Europa League) he'd become a good striker in the Bundesliga two years later I'd say you were out to lunch. And I forgot Dike too.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Get ready for another knee slapper. Because this is the best one. I wasn’t even the one who said that the US is better than Canada at all these sports. Something you can easily scroll up the page and see for yourself.

It’s also a real shocker that more people play tennis here compared to Canada a country with almost 10x less people. Truly a shocker. Still doesn’t change the fact that the country as a whole aren’t that interested or invested in it.

And the final point average audience watching the US Open was 1.21 million here in the US. Average attendance for the Stanley Cup? 4+ million.

Once again, tennis here is a middling sport that has far more value recreationally with old timers and people wanting to stay in shape than it ever will as an athletic outlet here in the USA.
Some knee slappin and some knee slappin for you.

And you are right, it wasn't you who said Canada wasn't good at anything but hockey, it was some other dolt from down there, my apologies.

Superior Numbers playing means a bigger pool for potential talent, do you deny this? do you deny that a far greater number of americans of all ages play tennis then in Canada? If tennis is not a go to sport for either country should the U.S not be dominating Canada in that sport?

You've still got a far greater amount of players to possibly develop and still have a far greater number of people who do care about the sport then Canada.

So what accounts for the lack pf superiority at present moment? By numbers alone you should always kill us, it shouldn't be close., ever.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018

And you are right, it wasn't you who said Canada wasn't good at anything but hockey, it was some other dolt from down there, my apologies.

Superior Numbers playing means a bigger pool for potential talent, do you deny this? do you deny that a far greater number of americans of all ages play tennis then in Canada? If tennis is not a go to sport for either country should the U.S not be dominating Canada in that sport?

You've still got a far greater amount of players to possibly develop and still have a far greater number of people who do care about the sport then Canada.

So what accounts for the lack pf superiority at present moment? By numbers alone you should always kill us, it shouldn't be close., ever.
So many other aspects go into it other than the amount of participants playing the sport.

I am just going to end the argument here.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia

Once again, tennis here is a middling sport that has far more value recreationally with old timers and people wanting to stay in shape than it ever will as an athletic outlet here in the USA.

Superior Numbers playing means a bigger pool for potential talent, do you deny this? do you deny that a far greater number of americans of all ages play tennis in Canda and that niether are the go to sports for either country the U.S should be dominating Canada in that sport?
So many other aspects go into it other than the amount of participants playing the sport.

I am just going to end the argument here.
And all those other aspects are in the U.S favour and we both know that, let's be honest here. Population, geography,infrastructure, history with the game...........all a hands down win for the U.S in that sport over Canada. They have every advantage you could name over us.

And that's the point. Yes, let's end this here.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018

Superior Numbers playing means a bigger pool for potential talent, do you deny this? do you deny that a far greater number of americans of all ages play tennis in Canda and that niether are the go to sports for either country the U.S should be dominating Canada in that sport?

And all those other aspects are in the U.S favour and we both know that, let's be honest here. Population, geography,infrastructure, history with the game...........all a hands down win for the U.S in that sport over Canada. They have every advantage you could name over us.

And that's the point. Yes, let's end this here.
And haven’t they been historically better than Canada at tennis? Still have more players ranked than Canadian players.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
And haven’t they been historically better than Canada at tennis? Still have more players ranked than Canadian players.
They have, but they aren't now, they should always. It should never even be in doubt at any time for sports like tennis. The tennis academies they have down there and everything else we have already brought up.

It shouldn't be in football either for that matter. About the only sports we should ever have a leg up in sometimes are some cold weather sports, and only sometimes.

The U.s just has too many advantages over us.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Grabbed this from the Canada thread (not my post)

To all the people who think FIFA Rankings are the best measure, do we think Ghana should be (significantly) last on here?

Reactions: Gecklund

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
USA just lost to an okay Dutch team struggling with a flu outbreak. Not sure they have much of a leg to blow smoke with either

But congrats on scoring a goal against Iran and Wales
What is it with this inferiority complex that some of your fans have? I have to say some because its not all. There are certain Canadian soccer fans that post in this forum that aren't participating, and they need to be distinguished from the ones throwing out weak bait.

Why did you leave out we also scored against the Dutch? You only want to count games that suit your narrative.

How about you stop worrying about our team and worry about your own? The fact that you are so concerned with our team when Canada is not a big concern for our fans says it all, doesn't it?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
What is it with this inferiority complex that some of your fans have? I have to say some because its not all. There are certain Canadian soccer fans that post in this forum that aren't participating, and they need to be distinguished from the ones throwing out weak bait.

Why did you leave out we also scored against the Dutch? You only want to count games that suit your narrative.

How about you stop worrying about our team and worry about your own? The fact that you are so concerned with our team when Canada is not a big concern for our fans says it all, doesn't it?
Not to be that guy but that goal today was flukey at best. Let’s not try to frame it like USA did anything to break down the NED defense that wasn’t handed to them by the Dutch. USA doesn’t have to fear Canada; it shouldn’t be fearing anyone in CONCACAF, but Canada have certainly closed the gap enough for it to be a concern. Dismissing Canada is only in arrogance at this time

Reactions: Pink Mist

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Not to be that guy but that goal today was flukey at best. Let’s not try to frame it like USA did anything to break down the NED defense that wasn’t handed to them by the Dutch
xG's were even, possession favored USA. They got outclassed tactically by Netherlands from coach to the players. The implication in that post I quoted that they squeaked by against Wales and Iran, and then got destroyed by real teams like England and Netherlands isn't correct. If they squeaked by against Wales and Iran, it's because of a bad mentality where they let up with the lead when they were controlling the game. And then against the two good teams they faced, they weren't bad at all. Stuck with those two teams, and got a draw against England. Makes sense though that the better team would be able to pull it out, so that Netherlands beat them isn't some shock or disaster.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
xG's were even, possession favored USA. They got outclassed tactically by Netherlands from coach to the players. The implication in that post I quoted that they squeaked by against Wales and Iran, and then got destroyed by real teams like England and Netherlands isn't correct. If they squeaked by against Wales and Iran, it's because of a bad mentality where they let up with the lead when they were controlling the game. And then against the two good teams they faced, they weren't bad at all. Stuck with those two teams, and got a draw against England. Makes sense though that the better team would be able to pull it out, so that Netherlands beat them isn't some shock or disaster.
that xG was nonsensical and did not tell the story of the game. Possession favored USA because NED let them have it. NED was content to sit on their lead and ceded possession. Definitely not a disaster today, but if you play that game ten times, Netherlands probably wins it 9 times. That’s why xG isn’t telling the right story

Reactions: Pink Mist

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

As a Canadian...it makes me cringe. We had one of the worst collective peformances of all teams this tournament. Have probably the worst backline in CONCACAF and a meh midfield. We (should) identify it is still a major project up here. It is best to just shut up and stop comparing the nations because the US looked like a more complete squad this tournament and were undone by 3 breakdowns today by a quality side.

I will happily engage in trash talk with American supporters once we win a god damn tournament or make it far in the WC (at least get a point) but until then, yeah.

Reactions: SJinNewJersey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad