Which country has a stronger football team: USA or Canada?

Stronger soccer team?

• USA

Votes: 48 82.8%
  • Canada

Votes: 10 17.2%

• Total voters

Leafsfan1967

Apr 25, 2018
Which team do you think had a stronger football team: the US or Canada?

Historically the US has been better, but with the recent improvements with Team Canada do you think we can/have closed the gap?

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I mean Italy not being in Qatar is the outcome of a qualification campaign that stretched 2 years. The comparison between Canada and U.S. would be based on 3 games in the last 10 days at the highest level of competition either team has played.
IN different groups with different coaches. I think the latter is more important. Qualifiers went to Canada as well

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
IN different groups with different coaches. I think the latter is more important. Qualifiers went to Canada as well
The U.S. arguably played the toughest opponent between both of them in England and acquitted itself pretty well. I don't think the U.S. could still be exposed the way Canada was by the Croats. Canada may have a couple high-end players but I think the drop-off is much steeper i.e. the U.S. has more depth.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
The U.S. arguably played the toughest opponent between both of them in England and acquitted itself pretty well. I don't think the U.S. could still be exposed the way Canada was by the Croats. Canada may have a couple high-end players but I think the drop-off is much steeper i.e. the U.S. has more depth.
You know what I just realized you are arguing for the US... havent had my food today lol. We agree.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Canada has made amazing strides in the last five years, but two things give the nod to the USA for me:

1 - Backline. Canada is very much structured like an MLS team. A couple high-end DP's and several GAM/TAM level player in attack and midfield, and then as you move towards the back it gets weaker and weaker. Their backline is very poor by international standards, outside of CONCACAF. It's a shame that Tomori didn't choose them.

2 - Depth. Whatever you think of the manager decisions, USA has guys like Aaronson and Reyna on the bench. Scally too. Guys who would feature for Canada imo. Heck, they didn't bring a guy like Malik Tillman who would probably get on the field for Canada at the WC. Canada's depth in midfield and defense needs to improve before they reach the US level.

Starting XI vs. Starting XI - Canada has the clear advantage in the attack while USA takes it everywhere else on the pitch.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
Davis may be better, but the Americans have way more talent outside around their best player.

This is basically it. And US struggled with Canada because they couldn’t shut him down. If you can shut him down or at least contain him, Canada struggles to produce. David’s form with the national team just doesn’t seem as good. And Buchanan is up and down.

And the midfield and backline are quite poor in comparison.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
fixed that for you
I mean you are entitled to your opinion but Canada makes it out of Group B and USA, to put it nicely, is not guaranteed to get out of Canada’s group. Which is fine, but let’s not pretend otherwise

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I mean you are entitled to your opinion but Canada makes it out of Group B and USA, to put it nicely, is not guaranteed to get out of Canada’s group. Which is fine, but let’s not pretend otherwise
You live in a world of opinion, I live in a world where USA went undefeated and qualified in a group with 2 UEFA teams and Canada lost 3 times. No "pretend" necessary.

Reactions: Basement Cat

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
For as much as everyone has talked about Canada's attack, they scored the same number of goals as America (and, in fact, their players scored fewer) while giving up a lot more.

Pretty clear who the better country is at the moment. David and Davies are a good pair and I like Eustaquio and Buchanan, but that's basically it. Kone could develop but beyond that, I don't know Canada's youth.

Hopefully we keep Koleosho

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
You live in a world of opinion, I live in a world where USA went undefeated and qualified in a group with 2 UEFA teams and Canada lost 3 times. No "pretend" necessary.
I mean if you want to tell everyone that you don’t know anything about the sport you are watching, you can certainly do so in less characters.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
says the guy who has been confidently wrong throughout, lmao
What have I been “confidently wrong” about. You are saying USA was in a tougher group because they had two UEFA teams when Canada was also in a group with two UEFA teams, and Wales is significantly the worst of the four.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
What have I been “confidently wrong” about. You are saying USA was in a tougher group because they had two UEFA teams when Canada was also in a group with two UEFA teams, and Wales is significantly the worst of the four.
see your post history, all you do is shit over USA and say they'd hypothetically lose every hypothetical matchup there is, and then say that any team that didn't beat the brakes off them is obviously terrible since USA is obviously terrible lmao. Most circular reasoning ever, lmao.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto

I'm a Canadian, and Canada extremely does not make it out of Group B.

Davies is the best player on either team, but across the pitch the US is definitely better. Our defense is very poor and the game against Croatia revealed that, for all that Canada are young and exciting, they're still not there quality-wise. Might've been different with a healthy Eustaqiao for the whole game, because he's the only player in our midfield or defense of decent international quality.

David also sucks for the NT, for the most part, so that doesn't help.

Herdman is a better coach than Berhalter.

Reactions: WarriorofTime

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
see your post history, all you do is shit over USA and say they'd hypothetically lose every hypothetical matchup there is, and then say that any team that didn't beat the brakes off them is obviously terrible since USA is obviously terrible lmao. Most circular reasoning ever, lmao.
What is wrong about any of that though? I didn’t say they lose every matchup, I said I don’t think they were one of the 16 best teams in Qatar. I stand by that. I also stand by Wales being one of the worst teams in Qatar and Iran not being much better than them. I don’t see why you are so butt hurt about this. You said USA group was better when it has two UEFA teams like Canada group didn’t also have two UEFA teams, while also having one of the best African teams. if you want to think USMNT is great because Fox coverage and Alexi Lalas tell you they are go right ahead. I’m not doing that because I actually watch the games. If y’all think I am being too negative and don’t like what I am saying so be it. I’ll be okay

I'm a Canadian, and Canada extremely does not make it out of Group B.

Davies is the best player on either team, but across the pitch the US is definitely better. Our defense is very poor and the game against Croatia revealed that, for all that Canada are young and exciting, they're still not there quality-wise. Might've been different with a healthy Eustaqiao for the whole game, because he's the only player in our midfield or defense of decent international quality.

David also sucks for the NT, for the most part, so that doesn't help.

Herdman is a better coach than Berhalter.
Canada is better than Wales. Canada is no worse than Iran. They certainly could have made it out of Group B

• Haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad