Which Canuck player will be taken by Seattle if they become an NHL team.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
We might go to route of having to give away our 1st rounder and a prospect to protect someone like Gaudette or Virtanen, and for them to take Eriksson.

200w.gif

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Lol, people actually worried about the team having too much talent and not being able to protect them all. That's cute, guys.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The expansion draft is yet another reason why we need to trade away both Edler and Tanev for picks before. Not only will we get high picks for them (First round), but we'd also free up 2 protection spots down the road. Then we don't need to worry about losing a Tryamkin, Gaudette or Virtanen.
The forward position is fine.
Horvat
Boeser
Virtanen
Goldobin
Bear
Gaudette
Dahlen

That’s 7 spots if you need to protect the last 2 guys which based on Andrew coop and Esa Lindell I believe that the Canucks need to protect.

Hughes and Juolevi are exempt.

So it’s tryamkin if they can get him back and 2 others. Are you crying if stecher or Hutton get claimed? Still no clear idea whether brisebois or chat field are going to be NHLers.

Options to have either Edler or Tanev or both protected.

The only issue about move the two vet D is who will play with the young Dmen next year? Benning has shown no ability to bring vets in to handle that type of role.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
2020 means that if 18-19 is your 1st year pro and 19-20 is your second year pro, you are exempt for a June 2020 ED.

EP is exempt.

Gaudette and Dahlen I believe need to be protected.

Gaudette because Andrew Copp of the jets played 1 game at the end of 14-15, and then the next 2 years. He was listed on the jets protection list of 7-3-1 in 2017.

Dahlen signed with Vancouver last year so not sure on his status per se. I think it was Lindell of Dallas who didn’t have more than 2 North American pro years but he was eligible for the Vegas one. Something about when he signed his deal with the Stars.

Horvat
Boeser
Virtanen
Gaudette
Dahlen if he needs to be
Bear
Gold

Tryamkin
Tanev
Brisebois or Edler

Demko

How is pro defined? Because technically last year you could argue Pettersson and Dahlen played pro hockey in Sweden.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
How is pro defined? Because technically last year you could argue Pettersson and Dahlen played pro hockey in Sweden.
I can’t say for sure on European leagues. But I believe it depends on when you sign your nhl contract.

I believe in esa Lindells case he signed his elc in 2014 but spent the 14-15 season in Finland. According to cap friendly 15-16 and 16-17 were years 2&3 of his elc. So for ED purposes he had 3 years pro.

Dahlen would fall into the same category as cap friendly has Dahlen is in year 2 of his elc despite not playing for the Canucks last season. So he’s already considered in his year 2 as a pro this season.

EP signed in the summer 2018, so this is year 1 for him.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
If we're actually worried about losing Virtanen in the expansion draft that would be very good news indeed. Means he'd have taken a few steps forward.

Most likely he'll be a 25 year old speedy 4th line banger

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It would be between 1 of Virtanen, goldy, or Sven. Sven would be the oldest and entering the final year of his deal.

But that’s barring any moves over the next little while.

Nothing is etched in a stone.

coolboarder

Mar 4, 2010
Maryland
If Seattle makes the expansion team by 2020-21 season and Expansion draft is June 2020, I believe that Petterson is exempted from the protection list. His first year of professional hockey is this year so SHL doesn't count due to being junior aged playing in Europe, I believe. Hughes is exempted as well until he plays the first year. I think that 10 professional games is counted a year so if Hughes plays for one game this year after NCAA is over, I don't think it counts to a professional year. We do not have to worry about exposing anyone as we do not have many players that is NHL worthy as of yet.

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
2020 means that if 18-19 is your 1st year pro and 19-20 is your second year pro, you are exempt for a June 2020 ED.

EP is exempt.

Gaudette and Dahlen I believe need to be protected.

Gaudette because Andrew Copp of the jets played 1 game at the end of 14-15, and then the next 2 years. He was listed on the jets protection list of 7-3-1 in 2017.

Dahlen signed with Vancouver last year so not sure on his status per se. I think it was Lindell of Dallas who didn’t have more than 2 North American pro years but he was eligible for the Vegas one. Something about when he signed his deal with the Stars.

Horvat
Boeser
Virtanen
Gaudette
Dahlen if he needs to be
Bear
Gold

Tryamkin
Tanev
Brisebois or Edler

Demko

Thanks for the clarification on the exemption rules (and I guess opening me up to some well deserved criticism). Does this mean that Juolevi is also exempt? If so this changes the calculus a lot and we are actually in very good shape. We'd risk losing someone like Rousell or Sutter or Beagle or Eriksson (on purpose) instead of Gaudette / Lind / Virtanen / Baertschi as I had thought in my original post.

Of course there will be a whack of roster moves in the next 2 years so this exercise is just for fun.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad