Which Canuck player will be taken by Seattle if they become an NHL team.

Steely Van

Oct 12, 2018
Who will the Canucks protect?
Who do the Canucks have to protect?
Who do you want Seattle to take?
Who will Seattle probably take?
Can Beagle, Roussel, Gudbranson or Eriksson be taken?

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Protect

Horvat
Virtanen
Boeser
Baestchi
Rousell
Goldobin
Sutter

Edler
Tanev
Stetcher

Markstrom.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
I'd guess they'd take a player like Leipsic or Virtanen. Cheap with a hope for some more upside. Wouldn't care at all losing either of those two.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Under the 2017 Expansion Draft rules:

Auto-protected NMCs:
None, because Eriksson's has turned into a NTC. Leave it to management to sign NMC contracts in 2019, though
First or second-year professionals: Quinn Hughes if he doesn't sign this year?** Our '19 first-round pick if he makes the NHL in his D+1
2020 FAs: Chris Tanev, Jacob Markstrom, Tim Schaller, Sam Gagner

**If Quinn Hughes signs after Michigan's season ends and he doesn't play 10 professional games in '18-19, is he exempt? Trying to think of a scenario where Vancouver actually needs to protect him

Last edited:

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
Are we hypothesizing that the team will be put in place for 2020/21? So all rookies on the team now would have to be protected? We're actually not in great shape.

Pettersson
Horvat
Boeser
Baertschi
Goldobin
Gaudette
Dahlen

Tryamkin
Juolevi
Edler (re-signs)

Demko

Exposed: Sutter, Virtanen, Lind, Stetcher, Gudbranson, Beagle, Roussel, Eriksson, Tanev (UFA)

We might go to route of having to give away our 1st rounder and a prospect to protect someone like Gaudette or Virtanen, and for them to take Eriksson.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
If things are done by 2017 expansion draft rules in 2020, Pettersson, Gaudette and Juolevi will all be exempt as first/second year pros. And Dahlen, Lind, etc.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
If things are done by 2017 expansion draft rules in 2020, Pettersson, Gaudette and Juolevi will all be exempt as first/second year pros. And Dahlen, Lind, etc.
I have a feeling a lot of teams will cry that Vegas was too good in their first year and they will nerf it a bit.

Reactions: B-rock

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
If it was in 2019, we'd be protecting :

Horvat
Baertschi
Sutter
Goldobin
Virtanen
Beagle?
Granlund?

Tanev
Stecher
Gudbranson (ugh)

Demko

Boeser would still be exempt. Our two issues would be Tryamkin and Demko vs. Markstrom.

Trying to figure 2020 that precisely is too far away.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Are we hypothesizing that the team will be put in place for 2020/21? So all rookies on the team now would have to be protected? We're actually not in great shape.

Pettersson
Horvat
Boeser
Baertschi
Goldobin
Gaudette
Dahlen

Tryamkin
Juolevi
Edler (re-signs)

Demko

Exposed: Sutter, Virtanen, Lind, Stetcher, Gudbranson, Beagle, Roussel, Eriksson, Tanev (UFA)

We might go to route of having to give away our 1st rounder and a prospect to protect someone like Gaudette or Virtanen, and for them to take Eriksson.
2020 means that if 18-19 is your 1st year pro and 19-20 is your second year pro, you are exempt for a June 2020 ED.

EP is exempt.

Gaudette and Dahlen I believe need to be protected.

Gaudette because Andrew Copp of the jets played 1 game at the end of 14-15, and then the next 2 years. He was listed on the jets protection list of 7-3-1 in 2017.

Dahlen signed with Vancouver last year so not sure on his status per se. I think it was Lindell of Dallas who didn’t have more than 2 North American pro years but he was eligible for the Vegas one. Something about when he signed his deal with the Stars.

Horvat
Boeser
Virtanen
Gaudette
Dahlen if he needs to be
Bear
Gold

Tryamkin
Tanev
Brisebois or Edler

Demko

Last edited:
Reactions: GoTeamDom

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I have a feeling a lot of teams will cry that Vegas was too good in their first year and they will nerf it a bit.
I think the nhl has come out and said that the rules would be the same. Teams will have had 3 years to not dish out Nmc to average players like the Canucks did to eriksson, NYI did to Ladd, etc.

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015
We will have new management by then and everything changes so trying to guess is moot.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
I expect they'll protect a roster player over Tryamkin, who will then be selected and immediately return to the NHL. :skeptic:

Thats like a dream scenario for Tryamkin. He would make more money here than the KHL, and he would play top minutes on an expansion team.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016

Pettersson
Horvat
Boeser
Baertschi
Goldobin
Gaudette
Dahlen

Tryamkin
Juolevi
Edler (re-signs)

Demko

I wouldn't give up the 1st to protect Virtanen or Gaudette. Both will be bottom 6 players. Don't want to waste a 1st to protect a bottom 6 player.

Reactions: Pip

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I wouldn't give up the 1st to protect Virtanen or Gaudette. Both will be bottom 6 players. Don't want to waste a 1st to protect a bottom 6 player.
They don’t need to.

GoTeamDom doesn’t understand the ED rules or didn’t calculate the ED date correctly.

For Seattle to start in the 20-21 season the ED needs to occur in June 2020. So 19-20 is 1 year. 18-19, which is this season makes 2 years.

So anyone who is a rookie this year is exempt. That’s where the mixup is.

Now that said, I think gaudette and Dahlen fall into a situation based on what other teams had to protect for Vegas that would indicate that they would need to be protected. Canucks can fit them in without much issue.

Only negative is that they could have used their extra protection spots to pick up someone good.

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
The expansion draft is yet another reason why we need to trade away both Edler and Tanev for picks before. Not only will we get high picks for them (First round), but we'd also free up 2 protection spots down the road. Then we don't need to worry about losing a Tryamkin, Gaudette or Virtanen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad