Which Canadian team is currently the best?

Best Canadian team?

• Total voters

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Flames season sweep the Jets, completely dummy the Leafs in the lone game they've played, are second in the entire league, have the 2nd highest scoring offence in the league, top 10 in GAA, have 5 players in the top 22 in league scoring (or 4 in the top 14), have a sure fire Norris winner, a Hart candidate, the 2nd leading scorer in the league, have beat every top team in the league (or lost in a bum shootout).

Yet the Jets or Leafs are better (according to some).

aqt87Jt.gif

There is no debate or question, the Flames are the top Canadian team AINEC.

"Flames need more offensive weapons to beat the Leafs"

"Jets have more offensive weapons"

Flames have scored 20 more goals than the Jets and 21 more than the Leafs. k

LOL

Quite the chest thump there...

You think it might have to do with the fact that the Flames have a grand total of 0 playoff wins since 2015-2016?

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
LOL

Quite the chest thump there...

You think it might have to do with the fact that the Flames have a grand total of 0 playoff wins since 2015-2016?

The Leafs haven't won a playoff series since 2004. The Jets have won 2 in their franchise history. These and other irrelevant facts brought to you by @JoeThorntonsRooster

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
The Leafs haven't won a playoff series since 2004. The Jets have won 2 in their franchise history. These and other irrelevant facts brought to you by @JoeThorntonsRooster

The Jets won 9 playoff games last year and had over 100 points, Leafs won 3 and had over 100 points, Calgary hardly even had 80 and didn’t qualify.

Sometimes people focus on more than just one season when ranking teams. This seems like a foreign concept to Flames fans who would like to pretend that all post-lockout hockey just never happened.

Reactions: ricky0034

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Look at the standings.

COLD.

HARD.

FACTS.

Their points percentage is 0.023% higher than Winnipeg. That is absolutely close. So you’re wrong either way.

However, ranking them as actual teams, and not just looking at purely standings (where the Islanders are superior to the Capitals), there is a solid argument that they are inferior to Winnipeg and Toronto.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I went with Calgary because I like the make up of that team better than the Leafs. To me the Jets are a close third.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
The Jets won 9 playoff games last year and had over 100 points, Leafs won 3 and had over 100 points, Calgary hardly even had 80 and didn’t qualify.

Sometimes people focus on more than just one season when ranking teams. This seems like a foreign concept to Flames fans who would like to pretend that all post-lockout hockey just never happened.

Right. Because every player, every team, every powerplay, every goalie, every shooting percentage, point total, and 5v5 p/60 will inevitably regress to some arbitrary mean because the world in which we live in is simply a never ending sequence of 1's and 0's.

The Flames before this season were a young group trying to exit a rebuild saddled with tons of dead weight, very obvious holes on the roster, poor coaching, and poor goaltending. You are what your record says you are, and what the Flames' record currently says is that they are currently the best Canadian NHL team.

Reactions: dukeofjive

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Right. Because every player, every team, every powerplay, every goalie, every shooting percentage, point total, and 5v5 p/60 will inevitably regress to some arbitrary mean because the world in which we live in is simply a never ending sequence of 1's and 0's.

The Flames before this season were a young group trying to exit a rebuild saddled with tons of dead weight, very obvious holes on the roster, poor coaching, and poor goaltending. You are what your record says you are, and what the Flames' record currently says is that they are currently the best Canadian NHL team.

So you think the New York Islanders are better than the Sharks and Maple Leafs?

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Calgary is a beauty of a team right now, Jets are the closest but still...

Calgary

Winnipeg

Toronto
Montreal
Vancity
Edmonton

Ottawa

Reactions: dukeofjive

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Veteran HF move. Just deflect if you can't make a counter argument. No I do not.

What the f*** are you talking about? You said “you are record says what you are”. I’m asking you if you hold that constant across all teams - obviously you don’t.

If the Islanders aren’t automatically better than Toronto/San Jose due to the standings, then why are the Flames automatically superior to Winnipeg/Toronto?

How on earth is that a deflection?

Reactions: lurking

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
What the **** are you talking about? You said “you are record says what you are”. I’m asking you if you hold that constant across all teams - obviously you don’t.

If the Islanders aren’t automatically better than Toronto/San Jose due to the standings, then why are the Flames automatically superior to Winnipeg/Toronto?

Because they have been doing it all season? NYI was a wild card team until the recent hot streak and the leader of the metro went cold. Calgary has been one of the best team in the league since pretty much November, theres a reason why despite vegas and sharks firing on all cylinders but can gain ground on the division rn

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
What the **** are you talking about? You said “you are record says what you are”. I’m asking you if you hold that constant across all teams - obviously you don’t.

So the Flames have better records than those 2 teams, and has a combined record of 3-0 in the meetings against those teams this year.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Jets on paper but flames, but flames seem to have it by the book right now.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
Jets are strong as hell but I think Calgary's depth both at forward and D would be a big difference maker

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown

Easy there chief, this is all supposed to be for fun. Well firstly, you decided to ignore the rest of the post about why the Flames have struggled in recent years and why those struggles might be mitigated this season, and how many playoff games the team has won in recent years is largely meaningless anyways. Then reduced my point to "you are what your record says you are" with a red herring about a surprising overachiever in the Islanders with two teams anticipated to contend in the playoffs. That's really just textbook deflecting. Now while I do believe in that sentiment, it's not scripture and my belief isn't absolute, and maybe most importantly it's not my sole reason for feeling the Flames are the best Canadian team.

They currently have 5 players that have hit 50 pts. Jets and Leafs have 4 between them(2 less GP). They're second in the league GF/GP, Toronto and Winnipeg are 5th and 7th respectively. They're top 10 in GA/GP, despite Smith rocking a SV% of .888 and having started 24 games. They're 4th in SA/GP while Toronto and Winnipeg are both in the bottom 3rd of the league. They're also 5th in raw CF%, better than both the Leafs and Jets. They also also have a likely Norris candidate in Giordano, a likely Hart candidate in Gaudreau, and a likely Jack Adams candidate in Bill Peters. I like their defense better than Winnipeg's(although only slightly) and a lot better than Toronto's. I obviously like their top end scoring, and while the depth scoring has only been OK so far I think it's at least comparable to the Leafs and Jets' forward depth. They've also beat the Jets twice and the Leafs once so far this season.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad