Which active players on your team will have their jersey number retired?

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Some may disagree but so far for Vegas, I would say no one. That said I think it would be cool to have something in the rafters to recognize which ever remaining misfits retire a knight. Not retirement, (though another cup this year might change my mind) but away to honor the OGs :laugh:

Btown

Oct 1, 2011
Pastrnak is well on pace for it.

If they manage to win a cup and Marchand plays a big role in that cup run, he's got an outside chance. It depends though. Bergeron and Chara are absolutely ahead of him in line, one could argue Krejci deserves it. Lucic threw away any slim chances he had. Rask should but the standards for goalies are so high that they won't. So there's a lot that Marchand has to still do to separate himself from the others in the 2011-present core.

McAvoy is too soon to tell but unless he picks up some individual trophies or some cups, no.

Of the active roster, only Pasta is a layup.
Marshy is going up. He’s got the cup (big part). He’s got a few Bruins records, Captain of the team. First things first though Biz Z and Bergy. I’m ok with Tuukka as well what a big part of our team for so long and holds a lot of Bruins goaltending records, even as the backup he’s part of 2011 cup.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Well based on Ray Bourque being retired for Colorado you could say about ten guys right now will be up there, but

MacKinnon
Rantanen
Landeskog
Makar

I could see Toews and Erik Johnson going too, knowing our track record.

Reactions: Fatass

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
I don't think anyone else will ever wear 97 nor 29 in Edmonton.

Nuge and Bouch if he stays may be on the wall

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Well based on Ray Bourque being retired for Colorado you could say about ten guys right now will be up there, but

MacKinnon
Rantanen
Landeskog
Makar

I could see Toews and Erik Johnson going too, knowing our track record.

As a long time Avs fan, I don't get the hate for Bourque's number being retired. He was one of the best defensemen in NHL history and chose to come to Colorado to try to win the Cup at the end of his long career, which he helped achieve by putting up a season worthy of being the Norris runner up. To me, retiring his number feels like the franchise showing him the respect he earned, similar to Sakic handing the Cup to Ray.

On topic, I agree with the 4 names you listed, but I'd also add Nuke as a list of maybes, if some things go right.

Reactions: PaulD

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I don't think anyone else will ever wear 97 nor 29 in Edmonton.

Nuge and Bouch if he stays may be on the wall
McDavid is absolutely a lock. Draisaitl will be a very strong candidate if he does not leave next year, which I don't think he will. The minimum threshold for anyone not named Al Hamilton is getting into the Hall of Fame which right now Draisaitl is definitely on track for. But I suspect that if he leaves at the end of this deal and the Oilers have not won while he is on the team it could impact a decision to retire his number.

DangerDarrin

Aug 26, 2014
Binnington

He’ll own most career wins and got them the Cup
People are not going to like that but you are correct. Not only that, he'll likely own most games played for STL and if he stays healthy and with the team, could also make a run for most shutouts too

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
If it were up to me only one jersey would be retired, 99.

Then there would be a league-wide set of “honored” numbers where if you wear the number you wear a very small patch acknowledging that fact, maybe a small set of initials on the bottom of the jersey or something.

Then, each team would have their own group of honored, where they’re free to make up their own rules.

No thanks and I don't think #99 should be retired league wide either like it is. Honoring players who never played on your team is a hard pass from me.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
As a long time Avs fan, I don't get the hate for Bourque's number being retired. He was one of the best defensemen in NHL history and chose to come to Colorado to try to win the Cup at the end of his long career, which he helped achieve by putting up a season worthy of being the Norris runner up. To me, retiring his number feels like the franchise showing him the respect he earned, similar to Sakic handing the Cup to Ray.

On topic, I agree with the 4 names you listed, but I'd also add Nuke as a list of maybes, if some things go right.
Number retirement is a largely North American concept, so it's something that still seems unnecessary and contrived to me. If someone dies, fine. If someone spends their entire career and genuinely defines an organization for a decade and a half or more, fine. If your team is six years old and retires the number of a guy with less than 100 games played then it looks like a really desperate attempt to create history and significance when there isn't and really due to the time can't be any.

The Avalanche won 2 Stanley Cups in 5 years. We have 6 retired numbers within the first 22 years of existence. Even if you extend that era to lasting from 1995 to 2004, that's still less than ten years that's now, in theory, defining your team forever. Is Sakic's legacy in an Avalanche jersey comparable to Bourque's? Is Foote's comparable to Sakic's? I really don't think so.

I've also often thought the Avalanche's approach to jersey retirements has been at odds with some of the other organisation philosophy for things like media coverage and jersey design which has favoured understated continuity. The number retirements seem really tryhard in comparison. If it was up to me I wouldn't have any. If I had to be forced I'd say 19, then based on seeing all of their careers I'd probably concede 29 and 8. But that ship has long since sailed.

Reactions: HolyHagelin

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Number retirement is a largely North American concept, so it's something that still seems unnecessary and contrived to me. If someone dies, fine. If someone spends their entire career and genuinely defines an organization for a decade and a half or more, fine. If your team is six years old and retires the number of a guy with less than 100 games played then it looks like a really desperate attempt to create history and significance when there isn't and really due to the time can't be any.

The Avalanche won 2 Stanley Cups in 5 years. We have 6 retired numbers within the first 22 years of existence. Even if you extend that era to lasting from 1995 to 2004, that's still less than ten years that's now, in theory, defining your team forever. Is Sakic's legacy in an Avalanche jersey comparable to Bourque's? Is Foote's comparable to Sakic's? I really don't think so.

I've also often thought the Avalanche's approach to jersey retirements has been at odds with some of the other organisation philosophy for things like media coverage and jersey design which has favoured understated continuity. The number retirements seem really tryhard in comparison. If it was up to me I wouldn't have any. If I had to be forced I'd say 19, then based on seeing all of their careers I'd probably concede 29 and 8. But that ship has long since sailed.

I would fully agree that it's unnecessary and contrived, but professional hockey is a business, and businesses tend to do things that are unnecessary and contrived to try to bring people into their money making venture. And I will freely admit that I took my 19 week old child to an Avs-Red Wings game and paid extra to sit 4 rows from the glass mostly because it was Peter Forsberg's jersey retirement game. I also still have the souvenir banner hanging on the wall. Based on this, I can't say their tactics aren't effective. I also obviously disagree with you about whether Forsberg deserved it. To me, he and Sakic and Roy are exactly the guys you honor, based on long term contributions to the team.

But, with that said, I also wouldn't be at all surprised if Foote and Hejduk got past the threshold for number retirement, at least in some part, because the team sucked the previous year and they needed a gimmick to drum up some interest so people bought a few more tickets. Foote's ceremony was in November 2013, shortly after they picked Mack 1OA. Hejduk was in January 2018, the season after the dumpster fire that got us Makar.

But, with Bourque, I saw it more as a tip of the hat to one of the greatest defensemen in NHL history who chose to come and help make some history with the team, and not an obvious ploy to sell tickets. So, why is he the poster child for the Avs being dumb in retiring numbers when Foote and Hejduk are right there begging for some attention?

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I would fully agree that it's unnecessary and contrived, but professional hockey is a business, and businesses tend to do things that are unnecessary and contrived to try to bring people into their money making venture. And I will freely admit that I took my 19 week old child to an Avs-Red Wings game and paid extra to sit 4 rows from the glass mostly because it was Peter Forsberg's jersey retirement game. I also still have the souvenir banner hanging on the wall. Based on this, I can't say their tactics aren't effective. I also obviously disagree with you about whether Forsberg deserved it. To me, he and Sakic and Roy are exactly the guys you honor, based on long term contributions to the team.

But, with that said, I also wouldn't be at all surprised if Foote and Hejduk got past the threshold for number retirement, at least in some part, because the team sucked the previous year and they needed a gimmick to drum up some interest so people bought a few more tickets. Foote's ceremony was in November 2013, shortly after they picked Mack 1OA. Hejduk was in January 2018, the season after the dumpster fire that got us Makar.

But, with Bourque, I saw it more as a tip of the hat to one of the greatest defensemen in NHL history who chose to come and help make some history with the team, and not an obvious ploy to sell tickets. So, why is he the poster child for the Avs being dumb in retiring numbers when Foote and Hejduk are right there begging for some attention?
I agree completely on the drumming up interest thing. Montreal retiring loads of numbers during the longest unsuccessful period in their history is the most blatant example of this, but at least they genuinely had lots to choose from. If someone merits their number being retired it should happen when they retire, not a few years later when interest is waning and fans need a nice reminder of when things were better. If anything that's just patronising to the player involved.

There isn't really anything else to say about Bourque besides it being a nice story and the team being five years old and that not being enough. It's just trying too hard to cash in on something that's already as iconic as it's going to get.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Stamkos
Hedman
Kucherov
Vasilevskiy
MAYBE Point if he continues to be the engine he is for another 5-7 years

All HoF caliber on the same team at the same time… damn we Tampanians are a lucky lot.
Came here to say this. In about 10 years the rafters in Amalie Arena are gonna have just as much history as anyone else.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I agree completely on the drumming up interest thing. Montreal retiring loads of numbers during the longest unsuccessful period in their history is the most blatant example of this, but at least they genuinely had lots to choose from. If someone merits their number being retired it should happen when they retire, not a few years later when interest is waning and fans need a nice reminder of when things were better. If anything that's just patronising to the player involved.

There isn't really anything else to say about Bourque besides it being a nice story and the team being five years old and that not being enough. It's just trying too hard to cash in on something that's already as iconic as it's going to get.

Again, I fully agree with most of your complaints, but I'm still struggling to apply them to Bourque instead of Hejduk and Foote.

For example, the Avs and Bruins both announced they'd be retiring Bourque's jersey almost immediately after he retired. And I don't see how the Avs are using it to cash in when the Avs were the defending Cup champs and in the middle of the longest home sellout streak in professional sports at the time. The lack of an obvious ulterior motive is why it feels classy to me, like the franchise version of handing him the Cup first.

Also, in addition to being a "nice story", Bourque was the closest thing the Avs had to a Norris winning defenseman until Makar showed up, finishing 2nd behind Lidstrom in that Cup winning year. Maybe that still doesn't meet any objective thresholds, but I still don't think it's as egregious as the other two.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad