Which active players on your team will have their jersey number retired?

slapKing

Feb 12, 2020
Canada
Based on your teams' standard for jersey retirements, which active player will get their number retired? Of course, each team will have different standards regarding jersey retirements, but only looking at your team and how they retire numbers, who you got?

Duder54

Dec 11, 2017
Canadian ex-pat in Zurich, Switzerland
Oilers fan, so HoF is the benchmark.

Based on that, McDavid should be a lock and that’s it. Draisaitl is a distinct possibility depending on how the rest of his career pans out and whether he remains an Oiler for most of it (same goes for McDavid in that respect).

Reactions: slapKing

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
It'll be a long wait, because Toronto is odd about retiring numbers. But they'll retire Matthews' number eventually if he sticks with the team long enough.

Reactions: slapKing

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
None for the Flames. Backlund will play over 1000+ games with the Flames (second behind only Iginla) but shouldn't be considered.

Not on the team, but Giordano likely has a better chance of a jersey retirement as he was a captain longer and has some hardware at least with his Norris. I'd still be against it but meh.

Reactions: 1989 and slapKing

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
:stars

For Sure: Jamie Benn
Maybe, especially with a Cup: Tyler Seguin
On the way but need more longevity: Robertson, Hintz, Heiskanen
Needs improvement, but not impossible: Oettinger
Too young to know yet but on the right track so far: Johnston, Stankoven

That's 8 players, which is a LOT. Benn is the only certainty. The rest will depend on how long they spend with the team and for a few, if they can improve their numbers to an even higher level. I'd guess that 20 years from now, at least 4 of these 8 will have numbers in the rafters.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Matthews and Marner, they'll also get statues on Legends Row.
They should finish their careers being 1 & 2 in franchise scoring.

Reactions: Leafidelity

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
:hawks

I mean Bedard is only 18years old but still the only real possibility at this point unless Vlasic somehow turns into Pronger.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Pastrnak is well on pace for it.

If they manage to win a cup and Marchand plays a big role in that cup run, he's got an outside chance. It depends though. Bergeron and Chara are absolutely ahead of him in line, one could argue Krejci deserves it. Lucic threw away any slim chances he had. Rask should but the standards for goalies are so high that they won't. So there's a lot that Marchand has to still do to separate himself from the others in the 2011-present core.

McAvoy is too soon to tell but unless he picks up some individual trophies or some cups, no.

Of the active roster, only Pasta is a layup.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
87 and 71 without a doubt.

Wouldn't be surprised if 58 and 29 get retired as well.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Matthews for sure

Marner/Nylander might

They should end up as the Leafs 1,2,3 in all time points

I don’t know if that’s impressive or sad

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
If it were up to me only one jersey would be retired, 99.

Then there would be a league-wide set of “honored” numbers where if you wear the number you wear a very small patch acknowledging that fact, maybe a small set of initials on the bottom of the jersey or something.

Then, each team would have their own group of honored, where they’re free to make up their own rules.

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
I feel the threshold to get your jersey retired should be higher than what it is. They should be among the greats not only on that team but also at the league level. Some of the names thrown around are great on their team but at a league level are not at the same the same level as the NHL greats to merit a jersey retirement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad