which 1st rounders this draft will jump straight into the fray?

Nifty Mittens43

Apr 1, 2011
larsson and landeskog yes. Landekskog has the size and skills to step in and make an impact and so does larsson. RNP and Courtier will need some time to gain strength.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
If St. Louis gets a good two-way center, we could potentially have a 3rd line rookie.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
Is that including Tarasenko, is he even coming over next year or what?

Not including the Tank...He should be coming over this year. Even Sibir's GM stated that he was most likely leaving after this year, but he can't buy out his contract until the playoffs are over.

Personally, I was hoping the Blues would tank far enough for a shot at SC, but barring a trade, we're not getting him. If we take Strome, I'd say he at least gets a camp invite for our 3rd line center spot.

Toydarian

Jun 2, 2009
If EDM drafts 1st overall, and picks anyone of Larsson, Couturier, Nugent-Hopkins, or Landeskog each one would see playing time in the NHL. However, regarding Nugent-Hopkins, if he is seriously struggling within the first 9 games I wouldn't be surprised if he is sent back to Red Deer.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
I think the top 4 (Larsson, RNH, Couturier and Landeskog) will be in the NHL. Maybe a guy like Strome will make it if he has an impressive camp but I doubt it.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Landeskog for sure, as pretty much every scout says he's NHL ready.

Ditto with Larsson as well.

Couturier, I think he makes it. He, like Hall has a late Bday, so a 4th season in the Q probably does nothing for him. He has good size. Main thing for him over the summer is to work on his speed and quickness to take his game to another level.

RNH, definately, the most talented offensive player. Strength will be his biggest question mark at camp. The young Thrasher player, Burmistrom sp?, packed on 20 lbs in the summer, but honestly, he hasn't exactly lit up the scoresheet this season. RNH just might need some time to get stronger if he doesn't impress early.

In the right situation, like Skinner in Carolina and Fowler in Anaheim, you might see one of the other early 1st make it. But, I think most NHL teams prefer to see their picks make an impact and at least make a good contribution, rather than burn up an ELC year. LA Kings still have 3 years with B. Schenn at ELC. He'll make a solid impact for them next season.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Larsson and Landeskog are the two obvious ones. They are big enough and have enough of an all-around game that they would likely blend in quite well into an NHL lineup... especially on one of the bottom 5 teams.

Beyond those two... there will probably be a surprise or two. Dougie Hamilton might stick as could Couturier.

You could even make an argument for Ryan Murphy... if Fowler stuck this season as a smallish but talented dman... why couldn't Murphy do the same thing next year as well?

It really does depend on the team that drafts them and what their depth is at certain positions and also what their overall development philosophy is. Some teams will almost automatically send their top picks back to Junior and others will give them a shot on the big club right out of the gate.

Certainly if the Oilers pick #1 that player will likely get a very LONG look because whomever they choose (Larsson or RNH most likely... but possibly Couturier) will be able to fit into a slot in the lineup because they have some huge holes in the roster to fill.

Seeing RNH stick on an NHL team all year would be unlikely as almost everyone feels he needs to work on bulking up and getting to at least 180 before he can dangle effectively and play at the NHL level. I don't know though... we've seen a few smaller but very smart and shifty players play at young ages in the NHL before so I wouldn't count him completely out but realistically another year in Junior wouldn't hurt.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Larsson and Landeskog are the two obvious ones. They are big enough and have enough of an all-around game that they would likely blend in quite well into an NHL lineup... especially on one of the bottom 5 teams.

Beyond those two... there will probably be a surprise or two. Dougie Hamilton might stick as could Couturier.

You could even make an argument for Ryan Murphy... if Fowler stuck this season as a smallish but talented dman... why couldn't Murphy do the same thing next year as well?

It really does depend on the team that drafts them and what their depth is at certain positions and also what their overall development philosophy is. Some teams will almost automatically send their top picks back to Junior and others will give them a shot on the big club right out of the gate.

Certainly if the Oilers pick #1 that player will likely get a very LONG look because whomever they choose (Larsson or RNH most likely... but possibly Couturier) will be able to fit into a slot in the lineup because they have some huge holes in the roster to fill.

Seeing RNH stick on an NHL team all year would be unlikely as almost everyone feels he needs to work on bulking up and getting to at least 180 before he can dangle effectively and play at the NHL level. I don't know though... we've seen a few smaller but very smart and shifty players play at young ages in the NHL before so I wouldn't count him completely out but realistically another year in Junior wouldn't hurt.

I think I remember Ducks fans saying that he would play the 9 games and that's it because of their lack of defensemen but obviously he was impressive enough to stay :nod: I might be wrong though?

The same goes for Murphy I think, if he comes to the right team he could very well make it.. but look at Ellis for example...

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Outside of the top 4, where all of them could crack it and few are probable, there are likely a few other guys that crack the NHL as well. Always happens.

A few candidates include Hamilton, Strome, Huberdeau, Puempel, McNeill and Bartschi. Most of these guys probably won't make the NHL, but 1 or 2 probably will.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
Apparently McGuire said theyre having issues signing him

...He's under contract until 2012, but he can buy the remaining year out when the KHL playoffs are over. The Blues obviously aren't allowed to negotiate a contract with him until he has initiated the buy out clause.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
How about Zibanejad ? Is he coming over next year ?

I would doubt it, but who knows. He only played 26 games in the SEL this season, I think he'll stay over for at least one more.

All the top 4 will likely make it.

Guys like Hamilton, Murphy, Strome could make the jump if they're drafted by a team that really needs them. More like however that everyone drafted outside of the top 4 will play at least one more season of junior.

LiffLaff

Crazy? Me?
Feb 22, 2010
Vardal
I think its pretty much imposible to judge who will play in the NHL next year, just look at Skinner, pretty much everybody was saying he was to small, to slow etc. but look at him now

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

If I had to rank it

Landeskog
Larsson
Couturier
Hamilton
Oleksiak
Strome
Huberdeau
Nugent-Hopkins

R S

Sep 18, 2006
If I had to rank it

Landeskog
Larsson
Couturier
Hamilton
Oleksiak
Strome
Huberdeau
Nugent-Hopkins

:facepalm:

Oleksiak is not NHL ready. He is being praised for his size and skating, but the guy is still considered a project as an NHL defenseman. A project is something that takes some time to develop. There is no way he will be in the Chel next season.

And you are severly underrating RNH's ability to maybe jump. He is likely 4th on a list of who will jump behind SC, Larsson and Landy, but he still could jump. He might be 10-15 pounds underweight for the NHL right now, but his elusiveness is second to none.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Mark McNeill deserves a mention. He might be a top 10-15 pick and surprise people by making the jump earlier than most. He's already got the size at 6'2 and over 200 pounds. Very smart, very complete player overall.

I doubt he jumps, but he is likely the best candidate outside of Larsson, Landy, RNH, SC, Huberdeau and Strome.

His Beardliness*

Zibanejad signed a contract for next year already. Larsson has a contract for next year also, so he may stay for another year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad