Where's MacT?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Too bad. The guy really is an idiot.

This is the first showing of bad judgement by Nicholson and Chia.

Meh. I don't think he'll have much influence, they are probably just throwing him a bone for being a long time Oiler.
Once his contract expires, I'm sure that Chiarelli will bring in his own people.

I too wish that they would just jettison the OBC altogether but that was never going to happen. As long as they aren't the primary decision makers, that's fine with me.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
As soon as the Oilers start showing progress they will fire Chia and let MacT step in as GM to reap the rewards.

They've already tried it once.

If you think Chiarelli is a will be a good GM, wouldn't you have to trust his judgement on this?

This could be the perfect role for MacTavish. Maybe it's like Petry being the top defenseman on an NHL team - too much at once, but when he settles down into something lower, it works out really well.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
If you think Chiarelli is a will be a good GM, wouldn't you have to trust his judgement on this?

This could be the perfect role for MacTavish. Maybe it's like Petry being the top defenseman on an NHL team - too much at once, but when he settles down into something lower, it works out really well.

This is nothing but lip service to the old boys club. Peter obviously does not respect Mac T as a general manager or he would not have insisted on getting both titles.

I just hope he can ignore Mac T as well I ignore my wife while watching hockey :laugh:

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

As long as MacT doesn't have the last call it can't be that bad.

Sometimes it's good to have another opinion. Even if that other opinion is always wrong, it still makes you look at other angles and can help you reinforce what the right way to go is.

Based on what Chiarelli is saying too, about how he's not he kind of guy to clean house, this might just be a little tryout period with the guys we already have. I'm sure if he feels anything isn't working out he will start to make changes.

Last edited:

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
This is nothing but lip service to the old boys club. Peter obviously does not respect Mac T as a general manager or he would not have insisted on getting both titles.

I just hope he can ignore Mac T as well I ignore my wife while watching hockey :laugh:

Yeah he totally had no motive behind getting full autonomy... How bizzare that a longtime GM wanted to manage the team and avoid interference from a Neely like figure, just craziness... He did essentially the same thing with J.Ferguson Jr in Boston by making him director of player personel after he got fired in Toronto, which i'm sure was largely because of the Raycroft-Rask deal. People like you are just projecting your angry and irrational feelings onto Chiarelli, and if you don't think they are irrational i'd have to suggest to you that making definitive statements about someones regard for another person, despite not actually knowing either, makes it pretty hard to argue otherwise.

Last edited:

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002

This is kind of silly, because obviously Chiarelli wanted to be the general manager of an NHL team. Not like he would give that up for anyone, let alone MacTavish.

We have no idea if it's lip service. Chiarelli doesn't owe MacTavish anything. They were rival GMs, and while they didn't make any trades, I'm sure they've talked tons. Chiarelli would know better than any of us what MacTavish has tried/not tried to do with this team, and he could very well think there are some good ideas in there.

I understand not many here respect Craig MacTavish, but as we all know, what the fans think doesn't necessarily reflect the opinions of those involved with NHL teams.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
The only thing that scares me about this as some have mentioned, is it could open the door for him to take over in the future.

"Now that Peter has moved on, we have decided to give Craig his position back as General Manager. We always felt that Craig was the right guy for the job, he knows almost as much as Kevin about winning, visually we just think this is the right move after being mentored for the past six weeks by Peter"

So long as that doesn't happen, I am happy for him and Lowe being able to still be part of the organization. There is no doubt they bleed Blue and Orange, and still seem to be respected guys around the league. So long as they aren't calling the shots, I'm fine with it.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
The only thing that scares me about this as some have mentioned, is it could open the door for him to take over in the future.

"Now that Peter has moved on, we have decided to give Craig his position back as General Manager. We always felt that Craig was the right guy for the job, he knows almost as much as Kevin about winning, visually we just think this is the right move after being mentored for the past six weeks by Peter"

So long as that doesn't happen, I am happy for him and Lowe being able to still be part of the organization. There is no doubt they bleed Blue and Orange, and still seem to be respected guys around the league. So long as they aren't calling the shots, I'm fine with it.

I trust Bob Nicholson enough to not make a mistake like that again
if Lowe were in charge...maybe that would happen again

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
Nicholson and Chiarelli have far more objectivity and knowledge about MacT than the fans do. I'll side with their decisions over the opinions of some of the people on here.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
This is kind of silly, because obviously Chiarelli wanted to be the general manager of an NHL team. Not like he would give that up for anyone, let alone MacTavish.

We have no idea if it's lip service. Chiarelli doesn't owe MacTavish anything. They were rival GMs, and while they didn't make any trades, I'm sure they've talked tons. Chiarelli would know better than any of us what MacTavish has tried/not tried to do with this team, and he could very well think there are some good ideas in there.

I understand not many here respect Craig MacTavish, but as we all know, what the fans think doesn't necessarily reflect the opinions of those involved with NHL teams.

I am basing this just off the rumours that Peter was not being interviewed for the GM position and that Mac t was blind sided by it.

No one knows what anyone really thinks.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Craig's first pitch:

"I'm tellin ya, Daryl, we don't need helmets. Heck, I never used them and I turned out alright, visually."
Except he earned a masters degree in business after hockey. What do you have?

Last edited:

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Except he earned a Masters degree in business after hockey. What do you have?
Real good that MBA did though. MacTavish could have run this team further into the ground just as quickly without one, and probably sooner.

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I suppose I will chime in as the one person that likes keeping MacT around. I don't think he is as terrible as everything thinks and I am glad he is still with the organization. He's never been afraid to be honest with people and while he may have made a couple bad moves (hiring Eakins unfortunately although at the time people weren't that upset with it), I think his biggest problem was his lack of experience. He went into things with a fair amount of naivety and this certainly backfired. But, he is a smart guy, he's got a lot of knowledge about the game and I think he'll provide valuable input.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
I suppose I will chime in as the one person that likes keeping MacT around. I don't think he is as terrible as everything thinks and I am glad he is still with the organization. He's never been afraid to be honest with people and while he may have made a couple bad moves (hiring Eakins unfortunately although at the time people weren't that upset with it), I think his biggest problem was his lack of experience. He went into things with a fair amount of naivety and this certainly backfired. But, he is a smart guy, he's got a lot of knowledge about the game and I think he'll provide valuable input.
Great post.
Easy to be an inexperienced, uneducated armchair GM. Its a lot harder in real life

BleedingOil

Dec 4, 2006
Edmonton
MacT is a great hockey mind and would have a job really fast if he wanted. He was not the one who put us in this situation.

BleedingOil

Dec 4, 2006
Edmonton

I totally agree and he is obviously respected by bob and pete

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Real good that MBA did though. MacTavish could have run this team further into the ground just as quickly without one, and probably sooner.

EBMA. Weekend class course that touches on MBA subjects to supplement and provide resume padding for people that already have extensive management experience (that MacT claims he never had when he was trying to excuse himself from all the management failures of the Oilers past). From what I've seen all MacT learned in those weekends were business buzzwords.

To contrast Chiarelli has a degree from Harvard.

Last edited:

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
MacT is a great hockey mind and would have a job really fast if he wanted. He was not the one who put us in this situation.
Agreed. We all know where this mess started back in 2007.
MacTavish and Chiarelli strike me as highly intelligent and mature guys that both bring a lot to the team. As long as they can all play nice I don't mind having more experienced management/coaching since theres no cap on that.
We've went from a low ranked public school to a private prep school(elite if Babcock comes in)

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
Great post.
Easy to be an inexperienced, uneducated armchair GM. Its a lot harder in real life

No one is saying MacT's job was easy. We're just saying he sucked at it and deserves to be taken out of hockey operations completely. He had his chance. He blew it. No other organization would keep their failed GM around in a lesser role.

It's just the same lack of accountability that Oilers fans were tired of with the old regime. It's evidence that nothing is going to change.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
As long as we have the right people in the right places, who cares?

MacT and Lowe, despite their shortcomings / failures, have their strengths and had some successes (as mentioned by other posters) can continue to be useful contributors to the organization. As long as they are not brought into positions they are not capable of. MacT and Lowe bleed blue & orange / copper :P and they will be passionate members of the organization and community.

Bob Nicholson and Chiarelli are pulling the strings here and they are truly visionaries. We're in good hands.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton

The last time the guy left the Oilers he interviewed for multiple jobs and couldn't land anything outside of a coaching gig in the AHL. No NHL team wants him.

I'm not sure how anyone who has heard one of his pressers can say he has a great hockey mind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad