Where would you rather the Montreal Canadiens finish this year?

Where would you rather finish at the end of the regular season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Personnally I'd rather have another top pick but wouldn't mind if the team keeps it up and make the playoffs. It is a young team and those players could gain some experience.

I agree. Top 10 pick or a top 16-18 pick which means we make the playoffs.

However, let me ask you this... How would you feel about the season with the 18th pick and we end up losing 4 straight to the Leafs, Tampa, or Caps in the first round? A 8-12 range pick vs a 18 pick could be huge. But then again, we could hit with the 18th pick. Hard to predict. Personally, my #1 choice is to give our selves the best shot at a lottery pick win. If we don't win, at least a 8-12 range pick gives us decent probability of getting another Grade A prospect.

There is something to be said about showing promise in this season so we have a measure of how to build around the core moving forward.

:dunno:

Reactions: montreal

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Laugh at other people if you want while #ECWHSWI claims that I am taking shots at people in the past week when I have not.

It's easy to ridicule each other since we are all fans of a team that has not won a Cup or been to a final since 1993. We can all, each and every one of us, claim that the other guy's approach does not work, since all approaches have been tried in the past 25 years.
We've been around long enough that we can poke fun at our posts without it being personal mate. We've had plenty of respectful discussions over the years even if we were at complete opposite ends. It's all good my friend. ;)

We drafted 3rd twice and 9th once in the past 7 drafts. We've traded assets for former first rounders a few times too, getting extra young assets in effect - talking about Danault, Armia, Suzuki. We managed to land one good player as a 27 year old UFA (Petry)

After all that, you judge that we have barely 1 elite player to show for that suckiness.
It doesn't matter man. Alzer was a top draft pick..doesn't make him elite. Hamrlik was an excellent Dman for us in his role, and he was a #1 overall pick, that doesn't mean he was elite.
You can argue Weber-Price are part of the elite. That's two guys. Drouin..sorry, not what I consider part of the elite. Neither is Gallagher or Domi. Kotka? Maybe he will, he ain't there yet. Same for Suzuki.
So no, I don't consider we have anything close to 5 elite players right now.

What I have been saying is that while it is nice to have Alex Ovechkin fall in your lap, even that good fortune does not guarantee that your team won't fail to reach the final in 12 straight years.
I don't think anybody ever claimed that either buddy.

The first great equalizer in all of this GM playing is the salary cap. The more talent you assemble, the more it costs, and everyone is subject to a 100% rigid cap. The other wild card is the lottery draft system. The more good moves you make, the harder it is to get a fortuitous draft result.

It is misleading for any of us to assume that one approach always works and that all the professional GM has to do is follow that one prescription and hope no one else does.

Look at what the salary Cap does to teams. From 2006 to 2017, Chicago won three Cups with Toews and Kane, and Pittsburgh three Cups plus a SCF with Crosby and Malkin, while the Caps won no Cups and had no SCF appearances with Ovechkin and Backstrom and the Habs got no Cups and no SCFs with Price and Subban.

There isn't anybody that suggested any plan is ''full proof'', but the closest thing to a certainty is that if you want to win, 99% of the time you will need to have some incredibly high end guys on your team.
How you get those guys...the easiest way is via tank. It's just that simple.
No, it doesn't mean you 100% need to tank, or need a Crosby to win, but it's going to be way way way easier to become relevant if you have one of those guys.
It's not impossible to get to the cup without them but with more spread out talent/depth, but it's going to be a lot harder as we see it happen way less.
Chicago has increasingly sucked since their last Cup win while Kane was 26, yet Washington managed to win with Ovechkin at 32 after 12 years of futility.
Not sure what's that supposed to prove really...Both those clubs won with major superstars on them, guys they got from top picking.

Saying, with perfect hindsight, that the Caps win should be chalked up to being bad in 2001-2004 ignores everything that happened since and which has been literally a constellation of millions of decision-combinations on the part of all GMs interacting.
I never said that, actually, it's what pro-tankers keep explaining over and over again to every desperate poster that brings up the Oilers. You can have McDavid or Ovechkin all you want, if you don't properly build around, you won't win jack.
But if you don't have those high end guys, forget about even contending.

Had a better Habs GM been able to get the team to a final and possibly win it since 2012, while Backstrom pulled a Radulov for example and left Washington for the KHL at some point, would that suddenly mean that whatever strategy the Habs used to get elite Subban at 45th in the draft should be emulated by all?
Pointless to speculate any of this. They didn't.

The salary Cap and the Draft lottery system affects everything. Chicago had to shed good players one after another to comply with the cap. Meanwhile the Caps with Ovechkin and Backstrom also being expensive and also being late 20s and even older, suddenly put together a string of moves that worked.
Chicago screwed up and ran out of producing some very good kids like they did during their dynasty.
For another example, people say that it was a mistake to let Radulov go because he is a top talent, just below elite. But had we kept him, we surely would not have finished at the bottom and got Kotkaniemi. And we would have less cap space.
Can't play that game. Maybe this happens...Maybe that happens...who knows. We can only talk about what actually happened.

Every decision is a trade-off and no matter what move you make, the salary cap and the draft lottery system apply a countervailing pressure, which while real is also unpredictable in degree. Those pressures destroy some teams while others are barely affected at particular points in time.

The ONLY way to win a Cup is to make many and important good moves - there is no one magic bullet.

It's a sad reality when your GM is just not very sharp and lacks vision. Even if some moves work out, there is always the understandable fear that he will blow it somewhere and somehow else.

And yet we are all fans of teams in a league of soon to be 32 teams, where the chances of your team getting to a Cup final are very, very low.
You need high end talent to win a cup, and enough of it. There is no way around it.
We don't have enough, which is something you acknowledged.

Let's not take shots at each other, let's not oversell any one particular approach and appreciate that it takes a combination of smarts and luck to achieve success. Let's enjoy the ride and the debates with a bit more humility than most of us, including me, have displayed over the years.
It's all in good fun mate. Cheers!

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

However, let me ask you this... How would you feel about the season with the 18th pick and we end up losing 4 straight to the Leafs, Tampa, or Caps in the first round? A 8-12 range pick vs a 18 pick could be huge. But then again, we could hit with the 18th pick. Hard to predict. Personally, my #1 choice is to give our selves the best shot at a lottery pick win. If we don't win, at least a 8-12 range pick gives us decent probability of getting another Grade A prospect.

There is something to be said about showing promise in this season so we have a measure of how to build around the core moving forward.

I want to get the best of both worlds -- a top-10 pick without being a terrible team. Habs already have a good core of young talent that can win games, so let's leverage our 1st round pick and a good veteran player for a higher 1st round pick.

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
There's just so much parity in the league these days, any bottom feeder can make the playoffs if someone breaks out. I'd rather make the playoffs and upset teams instead of finishing 7-15. More exciting for me.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I want to get the best of both worlds -- a top-10 pick without being a terrible team. Habs already have a good core of young talent that can win games, so let's leverage our 1st round pick and a good veteran player for a higher 1st round pick.

The NHL should be like Princeton -- the best team gets to draft 1st overall.

;-)

Reactions: bsl and Lshap

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
There's just so much parity in the league these days, any bottom feeder can make the playoffs if someone breaks out. I'd rather make the playoffs and upset teams instead of finishing 7-15. More exciting for me.
There's no right answer between immediate gratification versus deferred victory. It's just sports, after all. But if you're opting to push for the playoffs this season, the odds are 50/50 that the Habs may make it, and if they do, the odds plummet to slim-to-none that they make it far. Again - it's a personal choice where you want to place your expectations. Personally, I don't feel like investing time and emotion in a race where I'm destined to trip and fall in the first few steps.

Reactions: habsfan891

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
have you seen anyone say that, cause I don't think i've ever seen a poster say they should tell the players not to work hard. Now if they said trade for Fucale and make him the starter that would be obvious tanking. But seems like most are just saying don't trade picks/prospects, trade some vets like Petry, Tatar, Shaw while they are at peak value.
Hey man leave Fucale out of this :p

Reactions: montreal

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Playoffs for sure
But we still need to get rid of the dead wood on the team like Benn and Schlemko
Keep all picks and prospects and have another solid draft
Get missing pieces in trades and UFA during the summer

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

This management group must be your ideal then because they'll keep you in perpetual excitement. As far as parity goes yeah a handful of teams at the top a handful of teams at the bottom and the rest in purgatory.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012

I've been following the draft players and i'd really like one of:

Hughes, Kakko, Dach, Cozens, Podkolzin, Suzuki, Newhook, Turcotte, Zegras, Boldy, Pelletier, Lavoie, Byram, Broberg and maybe Leason or Foote as 15 and 16. So thats 14 players i think are above the rest. Thinking about it, i'd rather miss the playoffs and having a top 14ish than gaining that bit of experience in playoffs.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Hughes, Kakko, Dach, Cozens, Podkolzin, Suzuki, Newhook, Turcotte, Zegras, Boldy, Pelletier, Lavoie, Byram, Broberg and maybe Leason or Foote as 15 and 16. So thats 14 players i think are above the rest. Thinking about it, i'd rather miss the playoffs and having a top 14ish than gaining that bit of experience in playoffs.
The ideal would be to land two of either this year for sure or perhaps the next. Unfortunately I don't think we have the right bait even if our GM could see this. It also takes a bit of foresight (luck) to make deals with teams who will likely suck for a couple of years.

Reactions: Acadien86

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Id say one of Hughes, Kakko, Cozens, Dach, Podkolzin and wed be good to go. Similar rebuild to the Hawks with Kane and Toews. Just gotta hope Brook can be Keith and that we hit on a few later round picks. This team is really missing one more elite forward and were good, look at the Leafs, AM and Marner, Sid and Malkin, Ovi Backstrom, Carter Kopi, etc. After that its just going to be about putting players in the right spot.

I trust the right side of the D at 100%. Fleury, Brook and Juulsen all have top 4 upside, top 2 for Brook. Moving Petry for a pick and a prospect takes us just that much closer to compete in two seasons.

The ideal would be to land two of either this year for sure or perhaps the next. Unfortunately I don't think we have the right bait even if our GM could see this. It also takes a bit of foresight (luck) to make deals with teams who will likely suck for a couple of years.
Petry is the right bait...

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Id say one of Hughes, Kakko, Cozens, Dach, Podkolzin and wed be good to go. Similar rebuild to the Hawks with Kane and Toews. Just gotta hope Brook can be Keith and that we hit on a few later round picks. This team is really missing one more elite forward and were good, look at the Leafs, AM and Marner, Sid and Malkin, Ovi Backstrom, Carter Kopi, etc. After that its just going to be about putting players in the right spot.

I trust the right side of the D at 100%. Fleury, Brook and Juulsen all have top 4 upside, top 2 for Brook. Moving Petry for a pick and a prospect takes us just that much closer to compete in two seasons.

Petry is the right bait...
How? He's likely to garner interest from the top teams not the ones who can land us the early picks. Maybe a bubble team trying to make it and then fall flat????

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
How? He's likely to garner interest from the top teams not the ones who can land us the early picks.
Theres teams that are going to want him all over the board.

Philly need a RD and are ripe with talent.
Toronto need a RD
NYI need a RD
Edmonton needs a RD
Dallas needs a RD
NYR needs a RD

All these guys have first rounders and prospect that would fix the rebuild.

Philly could send their first/Frost, Sanheim/Hagg and a 2nd/Ratcliffe/another prospect, we can even take Andy Mac off their hands for more and send em Lindgren for even more.

Toronto could send their first, Kapanen and Sandin and we can even take Zaitsev off their hands if they need more space, and obviously theyd add something. Dermott is also another good target.

NYI could send their first and a prospect like Aho and a 2nd or another prospect, Id ask for a unprotected first, even if it likely ends up in the teens. With two picks last year, I think they can afford this.

Edmonton would send their first, Jones and another piece... Poolparty? Make that Finnish connection real?

Dallas firsts, Hintz and a 2nd. Hintz could fit in our top 6 next year, allowing us to shoo Tatar or Byron.

NYR could send their first, Skjei is also a nice target. Maybe they want to bury Smith or Staal? We can do that. Maybe theyd want another shot at a goalie ? Lindgren!

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Toronto need a RD
NYI need a RD
Edmonton needs a RD
Dallas needs a RD
NYR needs a RD

Philly could send their first/Frost, Sanheim/Hagg and a 2nd/Ratcliffe/another prospect, we can even take Andy Mac off their hands for more and send em Lindgren for even more.

Toronto could send their first, Kapanen and Sandin and we can even take Zaitsev off their hands if they need more space, and obviously theyd add something. Dermott is also another good target.

NYI could send their first and a prospect like Aho and a 2nd or another prospect, Id ask for a unprotected first, even if it likely ends up in the teens. With two picks last year, I think they can afford this.

Edmonton would send their first, Jones and another piece... Poolparty? Make that Finnish connection real?

Dallas firsts, Hintz and a 2nd. Hintz could fit in our top 6 next year, allowing us to shoo Tatar or Byron.

NYR could send their first, Skjei is also a nice target. Maybe they want to bury Smith or Staal? We can do that. Maybe theyd want another shot at a goalie ? Lindgren!

Based on what I posted luck comes in to play depending on who you cut a deal with if you are looking for 2 picks in the top 15 in one of the next two draft years. Looking at the standings pulling a first out of any of those bottom feeders last year looks brilliant now (Colorado). We are not getting a first for Petry from any team in the bottom this year. I'd be very surprised if we could get one from them for next year. So who is in decline and likely to suck two years from now but are in a position of relative strength today? Dallas Pittsburgh LVK Edmonton NYI San Jose Anaheim Minnesota Vancouver.
Only Dallas and Edmonton are on your current list which is why I don't think we have the bait. I don't value Petry as highly as you do perhaps.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I'm open to any plan as long as the team don't get older and we have positive direction towards a yearly cup contender for several years. If Bergevin can accomplish this, I'm happy. We gave our selves a chance at a cup for not just one year, multiple years.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I'm open to any plan as long as the team don't get older and we have positive direction towards a yearly cup contender for several years. If Bergevin can accomplish this, I'm happy. We gave our selves a chance at a cup for not just one year, multiple years.
My own secret of happiness is to set my expectations of the team differently.

I have my health.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Lets see how much value this pride/rebound season has in terms of future value in a young teams confidence moving forward. Isn't this the point of trying for the playoffs with the roster and core we have? Just missing the playoffs or losing 4 straight to either the Leafs, Tampa, Caps won't be considered a very positive direction. We have been doing this off and on since 2012. It's not working.

Yes, there is a lot to choose from this draft. Lets say we get the 8-12 range pick in the next draft. There are a lot of centers and teams before us will be going after them. By the time we pick, maybe a stud on D or winger with scoring ability (great shot) falls on our laps.

Honestly, I would be happy if we make the playoffs. How can you not be as a Habs fan. However, my main focus is inserting at least 2 more grade A assets into the system. A stud at LD (like Sergachev) or a power forward with scoring ability (like Tkachuk). Another center who has elite level potential (higher than Kotkaniemi) would also be nice but doubtful if we don't get a top 5 pick. If the centers available by the time we pick are small in size with no NHL shot, we don't need those.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
My own secret of happiness is to set my expectations of the team differently.

I have my health.

I watch a lot of junior hockey. I have no problem watching young players play and the team struggles to win. The long game is important. Let the year to year playoff fools party on their bandwagon eating their hot dogs. I'll ride on my horse slowly behind and eventually pass them joining the yearly cup contender bandwagon for several years.

Habs can still make money and have a cup contender strategy IMO. Habs fans will support it if we keep adding Kotkaniemi types in our system. But if we draft another Beaulieu, Tinordi, Leblanc, McCarron, Scherbak with a 1st round pick, I think the reaction would be much different. All of those picks were 17+ in the first round. People can say we need to do better and it's valid to some degree but go look at every 1st round. There are a lot of bust from 15-30/31. The degree of hitting on a elite level player becomes more difficult.

Since 2009: Seven 1st round picks in the 15+ range, 5 of them busted. Poehling and Juulsen appear to be NHL players who will stick around. I like my chances with top 10 picks better.

Reactions: bsl and Lshap

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

Toronto need a RD
NYI need a RD
Edmonton needs a RD
Dallas needs a RD
NYR needs a RD

I like the direction you're going, but scratch Toronto off your list because they're getting a late-round pick. Add NJ and St Louis's 1st which is held by Buffalo. Both NJ and Buffalo are past rebuilding and need quality players. Our target should be teams picking in the sweet-spot between 5 and 10 OA, not so high that they're untouchable, but high enough for a decent shot at a great player.

Based on what I posted luck comes in to play depending on who you cut a deal with if you are looking for 2 picks in the top 15 in one of the next two draft years. Looking at the standings pulling a first out of any of those bottom feeders last year looks brilliant now (Colorado). We are not getting a first for Petry from any team in the bottom this year. I'd be very surprised if we could get one from them for next year. So who is in decline and likely to suck two years from now but are in a position of relative strength today? Dallas Pittsburgh LVK Edmonton NYI San Jose Anaheim Minnesota Vancouver.
Only Dallas and Edmonton are on your current list which is why I don't think we have the bait. I don't value Petry as highly as you do perhaps.
I agree Petry alone ain't getting us a high 1st. That's why I've been pushing the idea of trading him (or Byron) along with our 1st for a higher 1st. Obviously that depends where the Habs finish. We probably won't be able to swap our 20thOA for another team's 8thOA, but maybe our 16th + Petry for a 9th might work.

Honestly, I feel like I'm guessing currency exchange. I have no clue how many spots we could jump with Petry + our 1st. Two positions higher? Five? Ten? No idea. But I think that's the best approach, mostly because it's the only approach open to us if we're targeting high picks.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Lets see how much value this pride/rebound season has in terms of future value in a young teams confidence moving forward. Isn't this the point of trying for the playoffs with the roster and core we have? Just missing the playoffs or losing 4 straight to either the Leafs, Tampa, Caps won't be considered a very positive direction. We have been doing this off and on since 2012. It's not working.

Yes, there is a lot to choose from this draft. Lets say we get the 8-12 range pick in the next draft. There are a lot of centers and teams before us will be going after them. By the time we pick, maybe a stud on D or winger with scoring ability (great shot) falls on our laps.

Honestly, I would be happy if we make the playoffs. How can you not be as a Habs fan. However, my main focus is inserting at least 2 more grade A assets into the system. A stud at LD (like Sergachev) or a power forward with scoring ability (like Tkachuk). Another center who has elite level potential (higher than Kotkaniemi) would also be nice but doubtful if we don't get a top 5 pick. If the centers available by the time we pick are small in size with no NHL shot, we don't need those.

I feel the exact same. My main focus is the future; I think we will be in a playoff team in 3 years, I'd rather maximise our chance to be a top team then by drafting elite prospect (top 10, see top 5). But at the same time I also want those young players to not get destroyed the rest of the season. Best scenario for me is to miss the playoffs by a hair and get lucky at the lottery. Just like Carolina was.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I like the direction you're going, but scratch Toronto off your list because they're getting a late-round pick. Add NJ and St Louis's 1st which is held by Buffalo. Both NJ and Buffalo are past rebuilding and need quality players. Our target should be teams picking in the sweet-spot between 5 and 10 OA, not so high that they're untouchable, but high enough for a decent shot at a great player.

I agree Petry alone ain't getting us a high 1st. That's why I've been pushing the idea of trading him (or Byron) along with our 1st for a higher 1st. Obviously that depends where the Habs finish. We probably won't be able to swap our 20thOA for another team's 8thOA, but maybe our 16th + Petry for a 9th might work.

Honestly, I feel like I'm guessing currency exchange. I have no clue how many spots we could jump with Petry + our 1st. Two positions higher? Five? Ten? No idea. But I think that's the best approach, mostly because it's the only approach open to us if we're targeting high picks.

Toronto clearly is the least valuable package here,I wouldn't want it, but I'd rather get Kapanen/Dermott+First than to keep Petry.

NJ and Buffalo are both relatively "strong" defensively, especially on RD.

Buffalo has Ristolainen and Bogosian, I doubt they want to have 15 millions tied to their right side, especially with 2 million in cap space. I'd gladly take their 1st pick and a guy like Guhle or Pilut, that would fix our LD problem, most likey.

NJ has Severson and Vatanen as top four D, so I'd say theyre good there, but they might want to upgrade on Vatanen ? If so, do they really want to give up their first ? That could land them Hughes. I doubt it, I'd take it and run if they'd offer it. I don't see what they have to give other than that, no real roster player option here... I'd ask for a B prospect like Boqvist, Bernard, Sharangovich or Anderson... But I doubt they do that trade.

I really don't want to trade our first, we might not make the POs and thats another great pick. I'd rather have two picks than one, especially in that draft. Unless that pick gets us in the top 4 (Hughes, Kakko, Cozens, Dach) I want no part of it, and even then, I'd rather pick twice in the teens, like the Isles did than pick in the later part of the top 10.

Picks 10-15 could land us two of McMichael, Boldy, Broberg, Kaliyev, Suzuki, Turcotte, Zegras, Robertson and thats better IMO, than one of Cozens, Dach or Podkolzin.

thegoalie39

Nov 28, 2018
Hopefully they will finish dead last then you can wipe that smug stupid smile off Bergevin's face and fire his butt.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Toronto clearly is the least valuable package here,I wouldn't want it, but I'd rather get Kapanen/Dermott+First than to keep Petry.

NJ and Buffalo are both relatively "strong" defensively, especially on RD.

Buffalo has Ristolainen and Bogosian, I doubt they want to have 15 millions tied to their right side, especially with 2 million in cap space. I'd gladly take their 1st pick and a guy like Guhle or Pilut, that would fix our LD problem, most likey.

NJ has Severson and Vatanen as top four D, so I'd say theyre good there, but they might want to upgrade on Vatanen ? If so, do they really want to give up their first ? That could land them Hughes. I doubt it, I'd take it and run if they'd offer it. I don't see what they have to give other than that, no real roster player option here... I'd ask for a B prospect like Boqvist, Bernard, Sharangovich or Anderson... But I doubt they do that trade.

I really don't want to trade our first, we might not make the POs and thats another great pick. I'd rather have two picks than one, especially in that draft. Unless that pick gets us in the top 4 (Hughes, Kakko, Cozens, Dach) I want no part of it, and even then, I'd rather pick twice in the teens, like the Isles did than pick in the later part of the top 10.

Picks 10-15 could land us two of McMichael, Boldy, Broberg, Kaliyev, Suzuki, Turcotte, Zegras, Robertson and thats better IMO, than one of Cozens, Dach or Podkolzin.
Teams looking for offence could take Byron, or even Tatar if the return is good. The point is we need a higher 1st round pick and should do whatever it takes to get one. I have no problem adding our 1st to the deal if it means jumping from a later round pick to a top-10 OA, because that's where most elite talent lives. You're higher than I am on the mid-range picks, but our track-record with 1sts picked after the top-10 has been awful. I'll take a decent chance at a homerun over the possibility of two singles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad