Where would you rather the Montreal Canadiens finish this year?

Where would you rather finish at the end of the regular season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Well you can be ''100% certain'' all you want, it means nothing. I am 100% certain UFA years had absolutely nothing to do with Galchenyuk being traded. They wanted to move on from this guy, that's as simple as that.

For Patches, again, this trade isn't done if a roster player is not included. Doesn't matter if Suzuki is the main attraction, if you are suggesting these moves are all about the future, then you ask for another prospect or another pick instead of the roster player. But we will see. Tatar is gaining some great value now, if this is indeed about the future, they should move him for another good return.
Bergevin may not have been looking for a roster player for Pacioretty; he may have had to take Tatar and his cap hit for Vegas to give up Suzuki. Just a guess.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
It comes down to how much you believe in Tatar and Domi. Price looks like he's back, and I think this D is better than we thought with Reilly and Mete/Juulsen in there and Weber returning. But can we keep up the offence? If the Domi/Drouin chemistry is real, and Tatar is back to being a legit top 6 player, I think we can. It'll fall off a bit obviously, but I thik we'll have enough to win still.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Playoffs**

** Note, I want to go at it without trading futures for veterans. I still think MB should look at moving certain vets for futures this season, regardless of standings position. Whatever happens, happens.

Reactions: Le Tricolore

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Bergevin may not have been looking for a roster player for Pacioretty; he may have had to take Tatar and his cap hit for Vegas to give up Suzuki. Just a guess.
Tatar was always a great reclamation project. Dude was a legit top 6 player for years, is still only 27, and basically just struggled to fit in on a Vegas team that had insane chemistry already. The guys went for a 1st, 2nd and a 3rd at last years deadline for a reason.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Playoffs**

** Note, I want to go at it without trading futures for veterans. I still think MB should look at moving our vets for futures this season, regardless of position. Whatever happens, happens.
I think Plekanec will be moved for sure. And I agree, no trading youngsters for vets.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
I just want to enjoy watching the games again. This season, for the first time since probably 2014 or 2015, I have actually enjoyed watching this team play.

And this is the biggest clash on this board and will be for a long time. I'm 28 and I want to see a cup in my lifetime (I was 3 in 93 I didn't really notice this one you know). Do I enjoy watching this team so far this season? yes. Do I believe this core can win a cup? absolutely not. It falls under what you value more, I valued watching a fun team for 20-25 years but now i'm kinda getting antsy and would love to dream a little bigger

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Stanley Cup Champions, the only result any true hockey fan wants for his team, IMHO!!!...:vhappy::vhappy::vhappy:Anyone that thinks Bergevin or Molson or any of the Habs/BabyHabs don't want to win the SCC is terribly underestimating their passion for Hockey.

Last edited:

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
And this is the biggest clash on this board and will be for a long time. I'm 28 and I want to see a cup in my lifetime (I was 3 in 93 I didn't really notice this one you know). Do I enjoy watching this team so far this season? yes. Do I believe this core can win a cup? absolutely not. It falls under what you value more, I valued watching a fun team for 20-25 years but now i'm kinda getting antsy and would love to dream a little bigger

They are still a ways away from cup contention status but after Bergevin's monumental f***ups year after year, squandering a cup-worthy core and wasting Price's best years, I had lost all hope that we would be seeing anything close to a competitive core for at least a decade. Now, I can see the Gallagher/Drouin/Domi core turning things around faster. There is still a LOT that needs to happen, a lot of guys' development needs to pan out, but for now I remain hopeful.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
That's not what the rumblings were about, and they also squashed the idea that Tatar was a cap dump if I remember correctly.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
They are still a ways away from cup contention status but after Bergevin's monumental ****ups year after year, squandering a cup-worthy core and wasting Price's best years, I had lost all hope that we would be seeing anything close to a competitive core for at least a decade. Now, I can see the Gallagher/Drouin/Domi core turning things around faster. There is still a LOT that needs to happen, a lot of guys' development needs to pan out, but for now I remain hopeful.

Competitive is poison to me though, competitive means no chance at a generational player. Generational player(s) is the one thing all modern cup contenders/winners have, and this is why I get antsy and i'm torn apart everytime we look good

but also regardless of a cup, man I would love to see a Habs player score more than 80 points/40 goals for once in my life... Kovalev barely did once and that's it right?

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
Competitive is poison to me though, competitive means no chance at a generational player. Generational player(s) is the one thing all modern cup contenders/winners have, and this is why I get antsy and i'm torn apart everytime we look good

but also regardless of a cup, man I would love to see a Habs player score more than 80 points/40 goals for once in my life... Kovalev barely did once and that's it right?

I am right with you Bask except I voted for Tank. Just as you have said, I have enjoyed watching the team so far. Its so different then the last two seasons of just PURE TRASH... Its tough being a habs fan when finally it looks like the team is now entertaining, and even if the lose games they are playing great.

That being said, I too was very young when the Habs won in 93 (8) so I could appreciate it, but not nearly as much as I would say 13 yrs and up or NOW!

However, Yes its amazing that we are finally icing a competitive team but what we really need is a super strong generational talent in order to finally win another cup. I do not think Marc has the abilities to properly build a contender team on the fly.
I think as much as it sucks, and as much as we may want to see the team in the post season the best bet for the habs is to poo the bed again and get another good draft pick while selling off valuable assets to teams chasing the Stanley cup dream. Its no secret here that with a good carey price and a little offense we could be a fringe playoff team, pretenders but not contenders.

Please please understand that if you want to see a team genuinely compete for the cup, the best course of action is to lose, and lose alot. Otherwise the best we can hope for is a middle of the pack talents.

ALL THAT being said however, we all know that some times generational talent is developed long after the draft... and I have hope that our AHL team will be giving us alot more parts in the future then that shi*stain Sly ever did.

At this point, I want to win, but I know winning is short term enjoyment for long term disappointment of first round exits and muddling in 12-19th draft pick range. Its really tough to swallow given how dark things have been on here and in the real world around the habs. Its nice to not be angry, upset , annoyed (insert any adjective ) at the habs and what they do or dont do.

rest assured, I am still pulling for the tank, The tank is a better future. The Tank helps us in 4 years.
I want a cup, not another disappointing 1st round exit . To get that , you need to lose.

Just dont do what the oilers did.... haha

IF the habs keep winning, I'll just try my best to enjoy it with you guys. I just think, deep down we need more assets to elevate us to the elite level of being a strong team for several years.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal

You are not wrong. I agree that we don't have a generational player in our system. But tanking doesn't guarantee one either, and at the end of the day I just can't stand watching a boring, talent-less, passion-less team like I have for the last few years. It's too much.

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
Don't buy or trade for rentals and i am good with either scenario.

With the expansion draft coming soon and Suzuki, Brook and Poehling that should be close to be NHL ready next year, Plekanec, Shaw, Scherbak, Byron or Tatar and Weber or Petry should be on the trade market either at the trade deadline or during the summer.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
You are not wrong. I agree that we don't have a generational player in our system. But tanking doesn't guarantee one either, and at the end of the day I just can't stand watching a boring, talent-less, passion-less team like I have for the last few years. It's too much.

I mean tanking doesn't guarantee it but X is still bigger than Y in that equation and always will, unless they change the rules again i'm just playing the odds

Reactions: NHLFutureGuy3

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
I want to be well out of the playoffs by the TDL so MB will not be tempted to do something stupid, and I believe I will get my wish,

We don't want MB doing something dumb at the TDL only to finish 9th or 10th

Reactions: HOPE

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
My objective is to win the Stanley Cup.

Second best is Stanley Cup Final.

Next best is Final Four (come out of NorthEast)

After that is a second round appearance as long as we don't sacrifice future assets to get there.

After that is Bottom-5

After that is Playoff appearance

After that is highest draft pick possible.

Reactions: NHLFutureGuy3

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That's not what the rumblings were about, and they also squashed the idea that Tatar was a cap dump if I remember correctly.

I agree. Bergevin was looking for a proven NHL roster player, a prospect, and a pick. Tatar was likely the best NHL proven asset being offered. Once Suzuki and the 2nd were added, it was very close to what we were asking for.. according to the rumors anyways.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Everyone pushing for the tank is so out to lunch. Do you have ANY idea how much damage that would do to the development and psyche of the young guys at this point? The team is trying to change the attitude of its players and win back fans by playing a more exciting style. Yes, another bottom 5 finish gives them a shot at a “potentially” good player, but it’s no guarantee. It’s not worth the damage it would cause. And there’s no guarantee the top players would pan out. Sometimes they just don’t.
Not to mention, if they make the playoffs and even do ok, there’s more chance to attract bigger name free agents next year. They’ll have cap space. They just need to make Montreal a somewhat attractive destination again.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Everyone pushing for the tank is so out to lunch. Do you have ANY idea how much damage that would do to the development and psyche of the young guys at this point? The team is trying to change the attitude of its players and win back fans by playing a more exciting style. Yes, another bottom 5 finish gives them a shot at a “potentially” good player, but it’s no guarantee. It’s not worth the damage it would cause. And there’s no guarantee the top players would pan out. Sometimes they just don’t.
Not to mention, if they make the playoffs and even do ok, there’s more chance to attract bigger name free agents next year. They’ll have cap space. They just need to make Montreal a somewhat attractive destination again.
This guy gets my vote.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
Bottom 5.

I like the new direction the team is going but I still think we need another elite prospect or 2 in our system. I'm not entirely convinced that the offense that we are generating is going to be sustainable in the long run, and I still think the team needs a blue chip defensive prospect to go along with Brook/Mete/Juulsen for our future top 4.

I dont think the team is a serious contender right now, and would still rather add a top center prospect or a top defensive prospect than likely getting bounced from the playoffs in the 1st or 2nd round.

With that said, I'm not going to lose sleep if we make the playoffs. The team is actually fun to watch right now.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017

What free agents are you talking about? There are no big ones next summer,

And get the playoffs out of your head, this is not a playoff team as it stands, a few wins and an easy schedule doesn't change that, we haven't even left our own time zone yet, and had 5 days off, Lol

Wait till Christmas time, that's when the men are separated from the boys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Monza vs Lazio
    Monza vs Lazio
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $245.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • FC Köln vs Freiburg