Where will Ryan Murphy go?

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Oh by no means am I calling him out as bad defensively. I have nowhere near enough viewing time to have a valid opinion on the subject either way. I saw this thread and saw the Rangers game on so I was curious to see how good his skating was. I'm comfortable saying whether a guy can skate after watching him for 10 minutes and boy can Murphy skate.

I know you didn't, but I'd be surprised if he was a strong tonight Spotts giving him massive minutes.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
That means, in a year or two, we could have a defense corps including Russell, Clitsome, Moore, and Murphy. All 4 are not very physical at all.

We need to draft a 6'3" two way stud in my opinion.

Murphy is physical. Moore and Murphy are far from soft and those two had brilliant chemistry together.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Murphy is everything New Jersey needs. He is the perfect fit for them. They have lacked a good PMD for ages now. Stopgaps like Andy Greene are just that -- stopgaps.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

1. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins—Center—Red Deer Rebels—WHL–CAN
2. Adam Larsson—Defender—Skellefea—SEL—SWE
3. Sean Couturier—Center—Drummondville Voltigeurs—QMJHL—CAN
4. Ryan Strome—Center—Niagra Ice Dogs—OHL—CAN
5. Gabriel Landeskog—Right Wing—Kitchener Rangers—OHL—SWE
6. Jonathan Huberdeau—Center—Saint John Sea Dogs—QMJHL—CAN
7. Ryan Murphy—Defender—Kitchener Rangers—OHL—CAN
8. Dougie Hamilton—Defender—Niagra Ice Dogs—OHL—CAN
9. Brandon Saad—Left Wing—Saginaw Spirit—OHL—USA
10. Mika Zibanejad—Center—Djugardens—SEL—SWE
11. Tyler Biggs—Right Wing—USu18—USHL—USA
12. Duncan Siemens—Defender—Saskatoon Blades—WHL—CAN
13. Nathan Beaulieu—Defender—Saint John Sea Dogs—QMJHL—CAN
14. Joel Armia—Right Wing—Assat Pori—SM-Liiga—FIN
15. Matt Puempel—Left Wing—Peterborough Petes—OHL—CAN
16. Sven Bartschi—Left Wing—Portland Winterhawks—WHL—SWI
17. Ty Rattie—Right Wing—Portland Winterhawks—WHL—CAN
18. Dmitrij Jaskin—Right Wing—HC Slavia Praha—Czech—CZE
19. Jamieson Oleksiak—Defender—Northeastern—Hockey East—USA
20. Anton Brodin—Defender—Farjestad—SEL—SWE
21. Mark McNeill—Center—Prince Albert Raiders—WHL—CAN
22. Myles Bell—Defender—Regina Pats—WHL—CAN
23. Scott Mayfield—Defender—Youngstown Phantoms—USHL—USA
24. Daniel Catenacci—Center—SS Marie Greyhounds—OHL—CAN
25. Boone Jenner—Center—Oshawa Generals—OHL—CAN
26. Mark Scheifele—Center—Barrie Colts—OHL—CAN
27. David Musil—Defender—Vancouver Giants—WHL—CZE
28. Rocco Grimaldi—Center—USu18—USHL—USA
29. Phillip Danault—Left Wing—Victoriaville Tigres—QMJHL—CAN
30. Nicklas Jensen—Left Wing—Oshawa Generals—OHL—DEN

Oroku Saki*

Murphy is everything New Jersey needs. He is the perfect fit for them. They have lacked a good PMD for ages now. Stopgaps like Andy Greene are just that -- stopgaps.

Agreed. I want Murphy or Hamilton. I really like what Murphy brings I just feel Hamilton is the safer pick and can still contribute offense. You're correct though, we haven't been able to fill that void since Niedermayer and to a lesser extent Rafalski left.

I am so sick of this 5 forward PP garbage. I've heard EJ McGuire say that if a team that is desperate for a PPQB chooses him, he could possibly play in the NHL next season. I'm not too sure about that but for people that watch him a lot, what does his development curve look like. Could he play soft minutes, mostly PP next season or is he way too small?

Gobo

Stop looking Gare
Jun 29, 2010
If he slips to the 7-9 pick range I wouldnt be surprised to see Edmonton use their LA 1st rounder and their second rounder to go after Murphy.

Especially if the Oilers pick RNH with their first pick.

But imagine if they picked Larsson 1st overall then traded up to get Murphy.:amazed:

talk abotu restocking your blue line...

Now that would be one hell of a draft for edmonton..

But we'd still have this gaping hole at centre. Maybe two C's and then trade Gagner for a D?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Murphy is a better skater than Fowler. And Fowler's +/- this year isn't helping his case with the defensive side of things.

Oh, you sold me there...using plus minus to prove a player's defensive worth.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
The Devils are pretty much setting their future up with some big defensemen as in Merrill, Urbom and Gelinas. To add Murphy would be a very good selection for them. But it all depends on where they draft and who's available. For instance, I think they select Strome over Murphy if both are there when they pick.

Gobo

Stop looking Gare
Jun 29, 2010
Oh, you sold me there...using plus minus to prove a player's defensive worth.

And your ":help:" really helped prove why he isn't better defensively.

If you've watched more than a handful of Ducks games, you'll know that Fowler isn't that great defensively yet.

Jared Ramsden

Feb 28, 2002
Calgary

Couldn't agree more. The Devils have plenty of talented forwards, but no top notch PMD's to move the puck up the ice and create offense. There is a reason the Devils PP has been so terrible this year: They don't have a PP QB. The only reason the Devils have 5 fowards on their first unit is because Lemaire knows he doesn't have any better options. I have yet to see Murphy play (aside from in the Top Prospects Game), but I have heard and read enough scouting reports on him to know that he indeed would be a perfect pick for the Devils.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
I'd pick him 4th overall before Couturier if I was a team like NYI, If I was NJ and he was available at 6, I'd probably pass on him, just because he doesn't really fit the mold for New Jersey hockey.

Yes because NJ has never had or drafted someone who in juniors was a skating offensive defensemen, who was still developing in the defensive game. :sarcasm:

This whole "NJ mold" thing has gotten blown in proportion. Scott Niedermayer wasn't what would become the "NJ mold" when he was in juniors. The scouting report on him coming out was offensive defensemen still learning the defensive side of the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad