Where will Ryan Murphy go?

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
There is so much controversy on Murphy, would you guys draft him? Say the team and why.

For me I have seen him play a number of times and he is most likely my favorite player on Kitchener, his skating is amazing, shot is amazing, amazing PP, only down side is his defensive ability which is not bad IMO but it could be better.

I would take him in Columbus just so i could see him play with Moore once again

Scott NS

Mar 30, 2011
Nova Scotia
Ryan Murphy is a top 10 wild card for sure. It's all up to team needs for him. I'd pick him 4th overall before Couturier if I was a team like NYI, If I was NJ and he was available at 6, I'd probably pass on him, just because he doesn't really fit the mold for New Jersey hockey. Atlanta would probably pass on him because of their current overload of offensive defense, Columbus or St. Louis would probably love to have him but probably won't get a chance since NYI will most likely grab him whenever they pick.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I don't think he'll go to Columbus because the hockey gods will smile upon us and we'll get to draft Dougie Hamilton. ;)

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Ryan Murphy is a top 10 wild card for sure. It's all up to team needs for him. I'd pick him 4th overall before Couturier if I was a team like NYI, If I was NJ and he was available at 6, I'd probably pass on him, just because he doesn't really fit the mold for New Jersey hockey. Atlanta would probably pass on him because of their current overload of offensive defense, Columbus or St. Louis would probably love to have him but probably won't get a chance since NYI will most likely grab him whenever they pick.

You mean like Ilya Kovalchuk before he was traded?

Players can change you know. Especially a raw young player that's still developing. Get him in the system at a young age with guys like Robinson and Stevens as a mentor and the guy will be a two-way force. It's not like he's Andy Delmore or MA Bergeron or anything, he has the tools to develop defensive skill.

Look at the last few drafts where we've taken guys like Tedenby and Merrill. Lou doesn't pass on supreme offensive talent just because they don't fit some kind of scheme. "Devils hockey" is winning hockey, anything more than that is a stigma given to the team by big media.

Scott NS

Mar 30, 2011
Nova Scotia
You mean like Ilya Kovalchuk before he was traded?

Players can change you know. Especially a raw young player that's still developing. Get him in the system at a young age with guys like Robinson and Stevens as a mentor and the guy will be a two-way force. It's not like he's Andy Delmore or MA Bergeron or anything, he has the tools to develop defensive skill.

Look at the last few drafts where we've taken guys like Tedenby and Merrill. Lou doesn't pass on supreme offensive talent just because they don't fit some kind of scheme. "Devils hockey" is winning hockey, anything more than that is a stigma given to the team by big media.

Are you sure you want to use Ilya Kovalchuk as an example? He's having a career low year and he's a -22. Why would you take a D-man who has had success playing a pure offensive game, rushing the puck and taking chances and try to completely change him? He's only 5'10" 180lbs, that really isn't the size of your typical successful defensive d-man. Especially not in NJ.

"Devils hockey" is winning hockey? You say that when we're talking about NJ as a top 10 pick? Really?

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
Are you sure you want to use Ilya Kovalchuk as an example? He's having a career low year and he's a -22. Why would you take a D-man who has had success playing a pure offensive game, rushing the puck and taking chances and try to completely change him? He's only 5'10" 180lbs, that really isn't the size of your typical successful defensive d-man. Especially not in NJ.

"Devils hockey" is winning hockey? You say that when we're talking about NJ as a top 10 pick? Really?

Fine then, let's put it this way. "Devils hockey is winning hockey, but they had a bad streak going at the start of this year, but of course people base everything off one year, so Devils hockey is not winning hockey no matter how many cups we've won in the past few decades."

I'm just saying, don't base it off one bad season, their still a greatly built team.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey

We don't need defensive d-man we need an offensive d-man. The reason Kovy's numbers are low is because we had a horrendous first half due to our terrible coach. Have you been watching the Devils since January? Or are you just looking at stats.

Oh and also Devils hockey is winning hockey 3 bad months for the first time in 14+ years doesn't really change much.

Devils draft players who are not that great defensively too Tedenby is the most recent example.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
He's better offensively than his teammate Landeskog who could go as high as 1st overall.

5-10 is my guess. I can't see a team like Columbus or Boston passing up his skillset.

member 30781

I cant believe he has fallen to be honest. I thought he was going to be a lock for top 5 or 6 and would likely be the 2nd Dman taken after Larsson.

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
Panthers will take him

No, they will not. We are stacked at defense, and need a bluechip forward prospect. Look for RNH/Couturier/Landeskog/Strome/Huberdeau for sure.

Murphy could go anywhere from 5-10th, depending on the team. You see what happend to Fowler last year, and Murphy doesn't even have the size that Fowler has. I could see NYI, Columbus, Boston (Toronto's pick) and Blues (Avs, if Blues decide to send it).

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Murphy is not a Fowler minus 3 inches. Better skater, better defensively among other diffrences. He shouldn't drop out of the top 10 in any circumstance. They're not really comparable cirumstances.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Really? Cause Fowler is a great skater.

After watching half a period of Murphy tonight I'd say skating is a strong positive for him. I'm not familiar enough with Fowler to say yay or nay on the specific comparison, but Murphy can move. He took the puck north very well; like a Letang or Goligoski.

Unfortunately, he made equally many dubious plays in his own zone.

But that was 10 minutes of hockey so it's hardly conclusive.

Last edited:

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
If he slips to the 7-9 pick range I wouldnt be surprised to see Edmonton use their LA 1st rounder and their second rounder to go after Murphy.

Especially if the Oilers pick RNH with their first pick.

But imagine if they picked Larsson 1st overall then traded up to get Murphy.:amazed:

talk abotu restocking your blue line...

Now that would be one hell of a draft for edmonton..

Sideline

May 23, 2004
He is. Murphy is seriously one of the best skaters I've ever seen and I'm not the only one to think that.

@Sideline, he's been playing 40 minutes a night so he's going to be tired. He made solid defensive plays that period considering that.

Oh by no means am I calling him out as bad defensively. I have nowhere near enough viewing time to have a valid opinion on the subject either way. I saw this thread and saw the Rangers game on so I was curious to see how good his skating was. I'm comfortable saying whether a guy can skate after watching him for 10 minutes and boy can Murphy skate.

fazon

Oct 17, 2010
Murphy is pretty much guaranteed top 10 but then only way I see him going in the top 5 is if the Islanders (of the bottom 5 teams right now) are picking at 5.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->