Speculation: Where will Erik Karlsson be traded to?

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Ill say he gets traded to a western team. Dont see Ottawa trading him to TB unless an extension is in place because that would mean more going back to Ottawa. I would definitely do Sergachev plus if he was re-signing here.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
I think the Bolts will make a great case. I think the Sens will ask for Point. I'm not a Sens fan, but for this particular case, I wouldn't want picks at all..I mean..this is NOT the year to fully tank and the Bolts won't have a high enough 1st. If they can keep Duchene, get Point and still have Logan Brown + Pageau they could have Duchene/Point/Brown/Pageau down the middle and that ain't so bad. They could ask for Sergechev..I guess that would be ok as well.

They should have taken the original offer from Vegas...I am not so sure Vegas is still interested? They do have a ton of defensive depth though.

LMAO for the thousandth time Point is not on the table.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
My money is either on the Bolts, the Knights, or any team that is one defenseman away from winning it all now.
hmmmm, never really thought about it, this is a good question, can't believe it hasn't come up until now. Is there talks about him possibly being traded or something?

Reactions: IceNeophyte

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Melnyk talking about tons of new prospects, etc. My guess is Tampa for some very nice prospects.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I'll say Tampa. IMO Sergachev and a 1st is a good enough core to build a deal around. I don't see anyone else matching or surpassing that. Dallas won't be dealing Heiskanen and Vegas won't be dealing Glass(especially now after that Patches trade). New Jersey could be a dark horse but I don't think they'd be willing to trade what Ottawa would want. Colorado as well if they're open to giving Ottawa their 1st back, but I doubt they will.

I'm hoping the Isles will get involved but I doubt they'd be able to beat that TBL package.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Still holding out hope that Dallas nabs him....Nill just has to wait out Dorion while also keeping Miro off the table.

Sens (probably) won't let EK walk for nothing, and they especially don't want to be a lottery team with no first round draft pick, so Dallas can at least offer them one of those. :laugh:

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
I'll say Tampa. IMO Sergachev and a 1st is a good enough core to build a deal around. I don't see anyone else matching or surpassing that. Dallas won't be dealing Heiskanen and Vegas won't be dealing Glass(especially now after that Patches trade). New Jersey could be a dark horse but I don't think they'd be willing to trade what Ottawa would want. Colorado as well if they're open to giving Ottawa their 1st back, but I doubt they will.

I'm hoping the Isles will get involved but I doubt they'd be able to beat that TBL package.

Replace Serg with Foote and maybe it happens, and even then only if EK agrees to an immediate post-trade extension. Foote’s already better than anything else reportedly being offered for Karlsson; there’s no need to go as high as Serg and with only a year left on his deal Karlsson doesn’t have anywhere near that sort of value.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

We don't really have a 1st to offer. I wouldn't be shocked to see Sergachev + Foote, if Ottawa could drum up a bidding war between us and, say, SJ. With Karlsson in the fold, it would make D prospects a lot less important, so we could realistically make that deal and still be a stronger team. And Cernak and Masin appear to be our "closest" prospects anyway, with Foote's ceiling being a lot higher.

But I mean:

Hedman - Karlsson
McDonagh - Stralman

The only spot even remotely up for grabs in that is Stralman's, next year, but I wouldn't be shocked if TB brings him back for a minimal raise on what he's making now. Or, if our cap crunch gets too intense, we could let him walk and STILL have the best top-4 in the league, even with Cernak or a journeyman D playing #4.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
There is zero chance he comes to Toronto. Having $30M+ in 3 players and potentially $45M+ in 5 players just doesn't work in the cap system. Not sure how you fit the other 18 players in the remaining ~$40-45M.

As for where he goes, I'm guessing somewhere in the west, maybe a Cali team.
Leafs have cap space for him this year for a one year run

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I would Do Serg plus Foote if it got it done today. Also need extension too for that deal.

Reactions: DFC

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Still holding out hope that Dallas nabs him....Nill just has to wait out Dorion while also keeping Miro off the table.

Sens (probably) won't let EK walk for nothing, and they especially don't want to be a lottery team with no first round draft pick, so Dallas can at least offer them one of those. :laugh:

Nobody's sure of this, but I do think TB offered Sergachev in July, and that was the "done deal" that Ottawa apparently backed out of at the last second. If that's true, and he's still on the table, Dallas is going to have to come up with something big.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Even when it looked like a sure thing he was going to TBay, I was saying I didn't think it would happen.
And that Vegas would be the team.

Now, I think it's a bit more unlikely that he ends up there now but I did find it somewhat interesting that they did not surrender a 1st rounder to Montreal.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Replace Serg with Foote and maybe it happens, and even then only if EK agrees to an immediate post-trade extension. Foote’s already better than anything else reportedly being offered for Karlsson; there’s no need to go as high as Serg and with only a year left on his deal Karlsson doesn’t have anywhere near that sort of value.

I don't think there is much risk in Tampa dealing quality assets for EK considering that's where he wants to be - or at least it's near the top of his list. Trading for him should guarantee that he locks up assuming they're willing to pay him what he wants.

I know it's easy to say "I'll just wait until July 1st" but a lot could change by then. Maybe he falls in love with the city he's ultimately traded to and decides to stay. Maybe Ottawa decides to deal him at the deadline instead, but before the deadline comes he changes his mind and decides to stay. Maybe someone else leapfrogs Tampa on his destination ranking by the time July 1st rolls around. There are a lot of variables. IMO it just comes down to how highly you covet Karlsson. If you think he puts you over the top, you make the deal.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Even when it looked like a sure thing he was going to TBay, I was saying I didn't think it would happen.
And that Vegas would be the team.

Now, I think it's a bit more unlikely that he ends up there now but I did find it somewhat interesting that they did not surrender a 1st rounder to Montreal.

A board insider from both the Ottawa board and the TB board said the deal was virtually done, only to be nixed by Ottawa's management at the last second. (Which may or may not have royally pissed off Steve Yzerman.) The reported return was Sergachev, which I can only assume means TB believes they can sign EK long-term. I just can't see us giving him up for a rental, regardless of how good the rental is. That would be a major break in Yzerman's (predictable) pattern.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Nobody's sure of this, but I do think TB offered Sergachev in July, and that was the "done deal" that Ottawa apparently backed out of at the last second. If that's true, and he's still on the table, Dallas is going to have to come up with something big.

Tampa's definitely up there, and could offer up better pieces (on average) than anything Dallas can realistically put together, IMO.

However, do the Sens want Karlsson staying in the Atlantic, or would it be better to send him out west?

As bad as the Sens' dwindling season ticket holders feel now, imagine knowing that their best player was just shipped to a division rival and will likely be beating their team senseless multiple times a season.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Tampa's definitely up there, and could offer up better pieces (on average) than anything Dallas can realistically put together, IMO.

However, do the Sens want Karlsson staying in the Atlantic, or would it be better to send him out west?

As bad as the Sens' dwindling season ticket holders feel now, imagine knowing that their best player was just shipped to a division rival and will likely be beating their team senseless multiple times a season.

This is why I have trouble seeing him get traded to TB by Ottawa. However, I could see him traded out west and then flipped to TB.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad