Where will Dubois play next year?

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I wouldn't go quite that far - perhaps we can say that all rookies are different.

Werenski and Dubois are mature ahead of their years, but they're still teenagers. Bjorkstrand and Anderson are 21 and 22, and they've both long been lauded by their coaches as diligent types of players. Those two I doubt will play like "rookies". Werenski might be he'll bust through on pure talent. Who knows with Dubois.
bjorkstrand and Anderson I see playing like professionals right off the bat. We saw bjorkstrand last year in the playoffs and in 8 games and he has not flinched and Anderson has won at every level and will be the perfect 4th line winger for us.

PLD I truly believe will take some time to get used to the NHL just like wennberg but I think he will perform much better then anyone expects. A 7 or 8 goal year with 15 ish assists seems reasonable.

Werenski will be sheltered to start and I honestly don't think he needs it. He is a stud that I honestly see being top pair ahead of Murray sooner then people might think. He was captain of the USA WJC team where he won best defender and finished strong at MICH before joining the AHL Champs breaking playoff records. I can't wait to make this kid my first official CBJ jersey. It was between him and Saad.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
bjorkstrand and Anderson I see playing like professionals right off the bat. We saw bjorkstrand last year in the playoffs and in 8 games and he has not flinched and Anderson has won at every level and will be the perfect 4th line winger for us.

PLD I truly believe will take some time to get used to the NHL just like wennberg but I think he will perform much better then anyone expects. A 7 or 8 goal year with 15 ish assists seems reasonable.

Werenski will be sheltered to start and I honestly don't think he needs it. He is a stud that I honestly see being top pair ahead of Murray sooner then people might think. He was captain of the USA WJC team where he won best defender and finished strong at MICH before joining the AHL Champs breaking playoff records. I can't wait to make this kid my first official CBJ jersey. It was between him and Saad.

23 pts is better than anyone expects? I think if he isn't trending towards ~30+ points he probably gets sent back to CB.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
23 pts is better than anyone expects? I think if he isn't trending towards ~30+ points he probably gets sent back to CB.

If his contract isn't going to slide he isn't going back; that would be downright idiotic. I seriously doubt they are looking for a projected point total in his first few games.

They will be looking for other things.

Last edited:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
If his contract slides he isn't going back; that would be downright idiotic. I seriously doubt they are looking for a projected point total in his first few games.

They will be looking for other things.

There's two different slides. The one I assume you are talking about is the ELC and that is game 10, the other one starts the UFA clock and that's 41 games. For whatever reason people on here only talk about the 9 game limit but not the UFA one, which is more important to some teams according to Friedman/McKenzie.

Dubois is going to be groomed as a force in both ends - they're going to make sure he develops with confidence wherever he plays. And that means he has to be able to score a decent amount. A projected point total is obviously not a literal marker it will hinge on.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
There's two different slides. The one I assume you are talking about is the ELC and that is game 10, the other one starts the UFA clock and that's 41 games.

What I meant to say that if he's played enough games where his contract won't slide - pretty sure you knew what I meant.

This isn't hard and we really don't need to make this complicated.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I think this really comes down to who management sees as our centers next year. If they want Dubi-Boone-Wennberg next season I think they tell him to go dominate in CB at center for a season, prove to us your the real thing and there will be a spot for you next season.

If they don't want Boone to slide back to C and are planning on going into the season with Dubi-Wennberg-Karlsson-Campbell than I think they need to seriously give him a look. Cause I could see him easily out performing Campbell and possibly Karlsson.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I think they'll take the obvious long view with Dubois. Like most rookies, he probably wouldn't matter much one way or the other to our success next year. And for his long term development he needs to be playing an assertive confident game offensively (not like Wennberg his first year and a half). If he does that at the NHL level, my guess is he stays.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
And for his long term development he needs to be playing an assertive confident game offensively (not like Wennberg his first year and a half). If he does that at the NHL level, my guess is he stays.

Confidence is another ringo term.

Play reveals everything and based on that every time rookie Wennberg was slotted with Hartnell or Dano you could see the play was there. It wasn't the player lacking but the organization and ice hockey culture when it came to utilizing the play. Now the lobomites insist on shooting more... Reminds me of Tre Kronor vowing to play harpoon hockey before changing ways and direction.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Confidence is another ringo term.

Play reveals everything and based on that every time rookie Wennberg was slotted with Hartnell or Dano you could see the play was there. It wasn't the player lacking but the organization and ice hockey culture when it came to utilizing the play. Now the lobomites insist on shooting more... Reminds me of Tre Kronor vowing to play harpoon hockey before changing ways and direction.

You're right that play reveals everything. One of the things it reveals is a player's level of confidence. And you're right that certain players can perform differently in different combinations. That's because confidence is not a fixed thing and can be affected by a variety of factors.

And yeah that Tre Kronor. He was a funny dude. "Harpoon hockey"! I lol-ed.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Why not have him play with Duby and learn how to be a good two way player.
Saad Jenner Atkinson
Dubois Dubinsky Foligno
Hartnell Wennberg Bjorkstrand
Calvert Karlsson Campell

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Why not have him play with Duby and learn how to be a good two way player.
Saad Jenner Atkinson
Dubois Dubinsky Foligno
Hartnell Wennberg Bjorkstrand
Calvert Karlsson Campell

First, Wennberg better be on the same line as Saad. Second, I would definitely start Bjorkstrand out with them. Finally, I don't mind Dubois with Dubinsky, but he better be playing center.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
First, Wennberg better be on the same line as Saad. Second, I would definitely start Bjorkstrand out with them. Finally, I don't mind Dubois with Dubinsky, but he better be playing center.

I agree with the Saad/Wenns/Bjork sentiment. I think that PLD should be transitioned into playing C at the NHL level (if he's capable of keeping up with the play). Pairing him with Dubi isn't a bad idea, but I'd like to see him also playing with two defensively responsible wingers who can play well both ways.

Jenner-Dubinsky-Atkinson
Saad-Wennberg-Bjorkstrand
Hartnell-Dubois-Foligno
Calvert-Karlsson-Anderson/Campbell

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I don't see why he wouldn't be in the NHL next year. It seems to me, tell me if I'm wrong, but if he was drafted to be a LW he would be considered ready, and the only thing holding him back is playing a new position.

I don't see anything wrong with having him sheltered, and slowly moving him to center. Maybe starting with only letting him start at center if we have an ozone face off? That doesn't look to bad to me.

Saad Wennberg Bjorkstrand
Dubois Dubinsky Atkinson
Hartnell Jenner Foligno
Calvert Karlsson Canpbell

If he shows signs of being able to play center then rolling lines

Hartnell Dubois Foligno
Jenner Dubinsky Atkinson
Calvert Karlsson Campbell

All of a sudden we start looking like a good team, not to mention the fourth line will have a lot of heart. Everyone would be battling for a spot on that line Sedlak/Anderson/Cambell etc

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
The problem is if he plays in the NHL and only gets 20-30 points, nobody is going to be talking about him. But if he goes back to the Q and puts up 2 PPG, then he will get tons of hype! :sarcasm:

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I don't see why he wouldn't be in the NHL next year. It seems to me, tell me if I'm wrong, but if he was drafted to be a LW he would be considered ready, and the only thing holding him back is playing a new position.

I don't see anything wrong with having him sheltered, and slowly moving him to center. Maybe starting with only letting him start at center if we have an ozone face off? That doesn't look to bad to me.

Dubois Dubinsky Atkinson
Hartnell Jenner Foligno
Calvert Karlsson Canpbell

If he shows signs of being able to play center then rolling lines

Hartnell Dubois Foligno
Jenner Dubinsky Atkinson
Calvert Karlsson Campbell

All of a sudden we start looking like a good team, not to mention the fourth line will have a lot of heart. Everyone would be battling for a spot on that line Sedlak/Anderson/Cambell etc

If he earns a spot you keep him but if the plan is for him to be a Center I would hope he wouldn't stay in the NHL as a Wing as an 18 year old. What I don't think we know is where he would play in Juniors. I would think as a Center.

if he does make the NHL I have to believe it's in the bottom 6 to start. Putting him in the top 6 above some of the others on the roster seems like destiny to slow development. I'd have no problem with him being the 4th line center as he learns the speed of the game and position. Having Calvert as one of his Wings and possibly Anderson or Campbell as the other wouldn't kill the kid. Might not put up numbers but would learn the game and could always move up if he shows he has the ability.

I'm not worried about where this kid plays next year. I want a long term #1C to develop - just like everyone else does, I'm sure. I don't have high expectations for him next year but think, after watching him a bit now, he has the ability to be a top line player for a long time - Wing or Center.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
if he does make the NHL I have to believe it's in the bottom 6 to start. Putting him in the top 6 above some of the others on the roster seems like destiny to slow development. I'd have no problem with him being the 4th line center as he learns the speed of the game and position. Having Calvert as one of his Wings and possibly Anderson or Campbell as the other wouldn't kill the kid. Might not put up numbers but would learn the game and could always move up if he shows he has the ability.

I agree 100%. I think back to Rick Nash and remember his 1st year he was a 3rd line player. He played well enough to earn top line minutes the following year, but that first year - it just takes a very special player to step right into top 6. It can be done but probably shouldn't plan on it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad