Where will Dubois play next year?

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
I voted full season in the QMJHL. I just don't think he's quite ready to play a season in the NHL. I could maybe see the 9 game tryout route, but I think the Jackets will actually send him to the juniors before the regular season starts.

Just don't do what Pittsburgh did last year with Sprong or the Oilers to Draisaitl and burn a contract year.

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
Unless he has an absolutely phenomenal camp, I think he's back in the Q. And I'm okay with that. Would prefer to see him in Cleveland, obviously, but given the two options I think Cape Breton is where he winds up.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Definitely think he gets 9 games. Whether he stays the full year depends on how he but also the team does. Ultimately I think he's sent back after 9 games.

Oh and Colorado recently confirmed their top 3 rankings were 1-Laine 2-Matthews 3-Dubois so that makes at least 4 teams who had Dubois 3rd.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
What I think will happen (my vote) and what I want to happen (my opinion) are the same.

1. 9 games in the NHL will give the FO, the coaches, and the development team to assess his skill level against a limited sample of NHL players (primarily Western Conference teams).

2. I would expect Torts (or an associate coach) to go to Gregory Campbell and basically tell him, "we need you in the press box for a couple games while we do a skill assessment." "Your ice time will increase in just a couple weeks."

3. At the end of nine games, two things happen. (1) PLD cashes his game checks to put some $$ in his pocket (2) JK and the development staff go to PLD and tell him they want to see him in Cape Breton, play center, be a good teammate, have success, build his confidence, and here is a list of skill developments we want you to work on. And our development staff will be checking in on you every couple weeks and in regular communication with your coaching staff.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
I voted for option 3 because I am a hopeless delusional fool who hopes he comes into camp and plays too good to be sent anywhere else.

Realistic me thinks option 2 is most likely to happen though.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I think he'll be sent back to the CHL rather early in the process which will surprise a lot of fans. Barring that, he'll stay (although he could be sent down halfway through the season if he's not getting playing time).

IMO, the team's plan for Dubois is a 3-4 year projection. They may want him to go back to the Q and play the full season at center. This would also, maybe, justify the pick to me. When Dubois changed from wing to center, his rate of production was a bit ahead of Nathan Mackinnon's. Given a full season at center, I think 120 points in the Q isn't impossible.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
I think he'll be sent back to the CHL rather early in the process which will surprise a lot of fans. Barring that, he'll stay (although he could be sent down halfway through the season if he's not getting playing time).

I'm going from memory, but I think there is a clause that prohibits an NHL club from returning a player if he plays more than 9 games in the NHL. And because said player is too young to play in the AHL, they are stuck keeping them in the NHL (certain of this aspect). If you keep a draft year player, the only option is to loan them out to their country team for the world juniors for that 2-3 week period in December/January.

Again ....from memory.

Sstroh84

May 28, 2015
Columbus, OH
I think Dubois may be ready for the NHL.

I do not think Dubois is ready to play Center in the NHL.

Back to the Q is the best bet at this point.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
I'm going from memory, but I think there is a clause that prohibits an NHL club from returning a player if he plays more than 9 games in the NHL. And because said player is too young to play in the AHL, they are stuck keeping them in the NHL (certain of this aspect). If you keep a draft year player, the only option is to loan them out to their country team for the world juniors for that 2-3 week period in December/January.

Again ....from memory.

They can still be sent back to Juniors. I just went to verify it by looking at Eliteprospects.com. Of course they will burn a contract year/the ELC won't slide if they play more than 9 games.

Daniel Sprong went to the QMJHL for 30+ games and later the AHL playoffs after playing 18 games with Pittsburgh last season. Leon Draisaitl played 51 games for his WHL club in 2014 after being up with the Oilers in 2014 for over 30 games.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007

Again ....from memory.

You're mostly correct, but this AHL age-limit clause is exclusive to CHL-drafted players (which of course PLD is, just wanted to clarify the rule).

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
You're mostly correct, but this AHL age-limit clause is exclusive to CHL-drafted players (which of course PLD is, just wanted to clarify the rule).

Am I correct in remembering that this rule is due almost exclusively to some sort of political BS sort of thing?

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009

Again ....from memory.
Draisatl played 31 games in Edmonton last year and then was sent back to his WHL team the Kelowna Rockets.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Went with Q + 9 tough I won't be surprised if it's Q. Have seen some projecting him centering the second line, but to me that's like the Dusty Springfield song (Wishing and Hoping)....

EspenK - your opening for an old guy comment. :laugh::laugh:

I'm a bit dusty but I don't see him going to Springfield, I mean Cleveland, right off the bat. I vote 9 and back.

niflheim

Hockey is cheating
Nov 22, 2014
Sure he can play next season here, at least as W initially. Next season is going to be funny :nod: with our youngsters, with young blood and energy... But maybe more reasonable for us to send him to Q to protect from draft eligibility? I mean next ****ing expansion draft, next after Vegas

major major

Feb 18, 2013
There's two different barriers - The 9 game barrier, which IIRC is what activates the ELC, and the 41 game barrier, which is what activates the countdown to UFA status. I think for our club the 41 game barrier is a bigger deal. We don't mind having to pay a guy on a second or third RFA deal if the ELC expires, those deals are not that much more expensive. The UFA years are more of an issue for this franchise - way more expensive and more of a risk that you just lose the player entirely.

ndd17

In Eaves we trust!
Jul 14, 2012
Russia
JoeyDangles19,alphafox thanks.
Four teams of 30 and none of them hasn't been make playoff in last season. Well done, JK!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad