Where were you when Colorado last won the cup?

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
I was getting married in Sweden (prior to moving here). Desperately tried to find any place where I could watch the games, as this was well before streaming was common. I knew there were people out there watching, but I didn't know who or where.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
I was 11 years old watching the game at home with my Dad in Avs country like 30 minutes away from Detroit (Novi) where I grew up haha. I definitely wasn't very popular at school in the fall when I showed up to class with my Sakic jersey on. Little did I know about the sadness that was looming over the team for the next playoffs...

Reactions: Reparlana

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
We were having a big party at a friend's country family house in La Malbaie. An historic house with a fireplace in almost every room! There was even a second house on the property. We had done a lamb roast cooked in one of the fireplace and had a keg of craft beer from La Barberie.

I was one of the few following game 7 on an old TV, barely mingling with the people there! :laugh:

I remember all the goals vividly, especially Sakic landmark.

We ran out of eletricty due to a storm just as they were going to hand Bourque the Cup!:laugh:

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
It was a Sunday, early morning. Game-time at 2 (or 3?), European time. I was heavy drunk from a party allready going on. But i still can see me flying to that party-room when Sakic made it 3-0 with that PP-Goal..... Many of my friends didn´t really care for hockey, but they celebrated like maniacs too. :laugh:

Think the party went to 10, 11 in the morning... Crazy shit.....The good old days....

Gumballhead

Nov 18, 2002
Chicago
scotchhorns.bandcamp.com
I definitely remember where I was when it happened -- I was living in LA and our band had a "gig" (a kegger where we invited friends to see us play in a rehearsal studio). I was salty that I wasn't getting to watch but the thing was already planned so I put the game on the radio in the car and I know I was at a Del Taco drive-thru on La Brea or maybe Highland when Tanguay scored a goal. I got to watch later, maybe on VHS? Is that what we had to do then?

The first Avs Cup I got to watch live but I was in a motel in San Francisco visiting my newly long distance gf when Uwe scored. I'm sure Uwe and I both scored that night, despite me making my gf watch a hockey game. Diehard.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
I definitely remember where I was when it happened -- I was living in LA and our band had a "gig" (a kegger where we invited friends to see us play in a rehearsal studio). I was salty that I wasn't getting to watch but the thing was already planned so I put the game on the radio in the car and I know I was at a Del Taco drive-thru on La Brea or maybe Highland when Tanguay scored a goal. I got to watch later, maybe on VHS? Is that what we had to do then?

The first Avs Cup I got to watch live but I was in a motel in San Francisco visiting my newly long distance gf when Uwe scored. I'm sure Uwe and I both scored that night, despite me making my gf watch a hockey game. Diehard.
First Cup I was away at a 4 week long Senior Exec Boot Camp in Charlottesville Va. No TV's in the rooms except for the only one in the shared Recreation Room. We had like a 6:00 am roust every morning so most were in bed by 10:00 pm. I spent multiple midnights in the Rec Room by myself with the lights off watching much of the Finals on old tube color TV alone. Of course, game 4 went into multiple OTs but I hung in there and saw Krupp's goal go in maybe around 1:30 ish a.m?

The next morning I was good for zero.... But happy.

teoberto

Mar 13, 2021
Won a scholarship to UCSD for a year in 2000/2001. Got tickets for the semifinals against the Kings and broke the engine of my car in San Clemente on the way to the Staple Centre. Watched game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals at home, crying like a baby. What a year!

ikonos

Jun 24, 2008
I was some where in NY/NJ for Game 1 and did not know who won the game. It took a while for me to find the score. Watched game 7 from home and it was a cool moment Sakic handing the cup to Borque. The offensive attack in waves was the hallmark of Avs golden years I remember from their games specially with Detroit. I missed that style of hockey from them until the recent Avs.
I remember many heartbreaks like 1999 and 2000 finals before 2001 and Roy statue of liberty gaffe against Detroit in 01-02 and Rob Blake's pinch causing the goal getting scored with 5 mins left in Game 7 again wild in 02-03. Lots of memories. I really thought, that team should have won more than the 2001 cup with the talent they had. In 2001, I did not think it will take 21 years to reach cup finals again. Some how this team reminds me of that team. Similar missed opportunities in 2020 and 2021 like that team in 99 and 2000. Hope this year they win the cup.

hughdreamz

Jun 24, 2006
Michigan
I was celebrating my 10th birthday. Spent the day at laser tag with my best friends and came home that evening and watched my favorite team win the Cup.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
I was nine and had no clue they were even playing. I played football (soccer to you) when I was young and my hockey interest was limited to NHL95, NHL98, NHL2001 games and to this Skoda Cup which they play every May..

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I assumed I was one of the old guys here.

I guess was in 8th grade. I watched the game at home with a friend that was a Devils fan. I couldn’t do that now. At the time, neither of us were really into it. I definitely took for granted that golden era of Avs hockey. Just kind of assumed that’s how it always would be.

I didn’t get really into it until I graduated college and started paying for center ice around 2009…

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
My 10th birthday was the following weekend but so was Father’s Day so my parents had my birthday party a week early on the day of game 7. So we had a day full of fun kids shit at my Colorado Avalanche themed party. Then everyone went home but my absolute best buddy was staying for a sleep over. We watched it with my mom and dad. I’ll never forget it. Like any of it. From the birthday cake with an Avs jersey on it to arguing with my buddy who suddenly told me 30 seconds before the final buzzer that he’s actually an Avs fan too lol.

The best day.

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
My older brother is a diehard Devils fan so it was a special few weeks in our house. We were kids at the time 10 & 12. My parents always made us sleep early before 10 so we would miss the end of so many playoff games. We would try to sneak the 3rd periods in our bedrooms only to be told by Mom to "Shut it off!". But this was the exception. The parents were conflicted who to root for but needless to say once we won, the little brother brag on older brother was priceless.

I remember having a whiteboard in the kitchen and I would write in big fat capital letters 14w, 15w then 16w. Looking back my brother and I got into a lot of fights that week. Ha!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad