Where were you when Colorado last won the cup?

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO

This is a good one. Podein, bent over sobbing on the bench, so overcome with emotion that he can't even throw his gear and join the mob around Patty. Adding in Gary Thorne's commentary when Joe handed The Cup to Ray, and the comment at the end from Bob Cole (that might be Scott Oake) saying that was the best hoisting of The Cup he'd ever seen.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

This is a good one. Podein, bent over sobbing on the bench, so overcome with emotion that he can't even throw his gear and join the mob around Patty. Adding in Gary Thorne's commentary when Joe handed The Cup to Ray, and the comment at the end from Bob Cole (that might be Scott Oake) saying that was the best hoisting of The Cup he'd ever seen.

That was Bob Cole while still at the top of his game.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
So many old folks here, I feel like I should give ya'll more of a leash. You just keep on ranting about how everything sucks gramps, you've earned it. As for what I was up to 21 years ago.. enjoying my summer break and playing outside, probably.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Great thread

Lived in Telluride, CO at the time and didn’t have a tv. Used to go to this restaurant the “House” I think it was called and order a burger and get tanked watching Avs games. Got to know the bartenders pretty well even though they didn’t give a shit.

Reactions: MacKaRant

Tru

May 21, 2015
Colorado
Great thread, great stories.

I was in Ft. Collins at the time. One of my best friends had his 21st birthday that night. His mom rented us a limo for us to bar-hop downtown Denver.

Donning my 13 Hinote jersey, we watched the game at 3 different places. 1st period at a restaurant, 2nd period at a random bar, and the 3rd period at The Diamond Cabaret! Gals were all featuring Avs sweaters over their negligees, btw's. That club went from dead quiet, everybody watching the end of the game, to absolute roaring maniacs when time ran out. Everyone got a free shot, too!! It was an atmosphere I have never witnessed since.

I'm pretty sure we went to a club called The Church after that, but it took us at least an hour to get there, as the streets were flooded with people and the limo could only go 2 mph. We were leaning out the windows and sun-roof, high fiving Avs fans all the way there. Rest of the night, we partied our asses off with everybody downtown. So much fun! Absolutely, one of the greatest nights in my memory.

hpbuschmann

Jun 1, 2022
On my first trip to U.S, having my first contact with hockey :)

Attachments

• 3131.PNG
    3131.PNG
    2 MB · Views: 6
Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Great thread, great stories.

I was in Ft. Collins at the time. One of my best friends had his 21st birthday that night. His mom rented us a limo for us to bar-hop downtown Denver.

Donning my 13 Hinote jersey, we watched the game at 3 different places. 1st period at a restaurant, 2nd period at a random bar, and the 3rd period at The Diamond Cabaret! Gals were all featuring Avs sweaters over their negligees, btw's. That club went from dead quiet, everybody watching the end of the game, to absolute roaring maniacs when time ran out. Everyone got a free shot, too!! It was an atmosphere I have never witnessed since.

I'm pretty sure we went to a club called The Church after that, but it took us at least an hour to get there, as the streets were flooded with people and the limo could only go 2 mph. We were leaning out the windows and sun-roof, high fiving Avs fans all the way there. Rest of the night, we partied our asses off with everybody downtown. So much fun! Absolutely, one of the greatest nights in my memory.
I’ve partied at the Church. Well Diamond Cabaret, too, for that matter. 😂

Reactions: Tru

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I was 7 years old. It was like 2AM or something in Newfoundland and it was the first game I was ever able to stay up fully and watch.

When they won I took one of those inflatable kid Stanley cups and ran out in my street dancing and screaming while basically naked.

That was also the day I truly became an Avs fan.

Reactions: ASmileyFace

Heyduke

Oct 31, 2019
300 level, in the corner, Avs attack side. Best sports moment I've ever witnessed.

My Dad was lucky enough to get two tickets, and instead of going with me, which we he would have loved...he gave the other ticket to my sister, who barely cares about sports. Sign of a true father.

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver
Same. Unreal experience.

To elaborate on this:

My dads company had a suite that year. We went to Game 1 vs Vancouver and then Games 2 and 7 of the SCF. I remember being so disappointed after the game 2 loss.

For Game 7 I had a roller hockey game that morning then we drove up for it. I just finished my freshman year at High School.

The Suite was in the corner opposite of the Avs attack end. I remember barely seeing Tanguays roofed goal and how loud the arena got.

The second period was right in front of us so we had great views of the Tanguay rebound goal and Sakics PP snipe.

After they won they gave everyone in the suite a glass of campaign to celebrate, even me a 15 year old kid.

The drive home I had a massive headache from all the noise and probably booze. But it was so worth it.

It’s still by far my top sports moment and I’m truly grateful I was able to experience that in person.

Puckstop40

Aug 23, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I was in 2nd grade lol. It was my second season watching hockey full time. Joe Sakic was my hockey idol. At the time, I did not recognize it enough how historical Bourque lifting the cup was.

Reactions: Reparlana

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad