Where were you when Colorado last won the cup?

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO

Was at home, watching on TV. Wearing this shirt, that I bought early in the season, and that I still wear today...
20220609_105828.jpg

It's in rough shape, with multiple holes in it, but still wearable.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I was in high school at the time. Recording the game watching on a 20 inch small ass tv in my living room. Living and dying on every play. When Joe Sakic scored that third goal I ran outside in my back yard screaming how much I loved Joe Sakic. When Sykora scored that PP goal I couldnt stop cursing out Eric Messier. Oddly enough I wasnt nervous for that game. I trusted that Roy and Joe would win it for Ray. Both guys were phenomenal that game. Remember Roy made that nice save on Elias.

Same. Unreal experience.
You guys are lucky.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
I was in high school at the time. Recording the game watching on a 20 inch small ass tv in my living room. Living and dying on every play. When Joe Sakic scored that third goal I ran outside in my back yard screaming how much I loved Joe Sakic. When Sykora scored that PP goal I couldnt stop cursing out Eric Messier. Oddly enough I wasnt nervous for that game. I trusted that Roy and Joe would win it for Ray. Both guys were phenomenal that game. Remember Roy made that nice save on Elias.

You guys are lucky.
Mine was HUGE. 25" TV I bought in college in 1995. LOL.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I was getting ready to enter my sophomore year of HS. My parents had left town for a bit, so I was staying w/ my aunt & uncle and cousins for a week. Watched games 6 and 7 on ABC. It was amazing.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
I was at an arena football game I got dragged to. I was a kid and my mom made me go (but she did record game 7 for me, I might have the VHS tape somewhere still). I remember hearing the announcement over the intercom that we won during halftime.

tshack

Apr 27, 2014
Became a fan of the Avs and hockey in general because of Foppa on the cover of NHL 98. Before then I didn't care at all about hockey, nobody I knew cared either. The only extremely rare time I ever saw a game was during the playoffs and I remember watching that final game in my grandparent's basement with my cousin.

It was exciting, but I didn't realize how big a deal it was. I had barely any reference to how long Ray Borque had been in the league and hadn't won the cup and they had just won it a few years earlier so I figured oh they'll win again in another 5. I mean, it was really cool to see how emotional they got, but I don't think I fully appreciated how special the moment was.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio

Was at home, watching on TV. Wearing this shirt, that I bought early in the season, and that I still wear today...View attachment 557444

It's in rough shape, with multiple holes in it, but still wearable.

21 years ago today, eh? Guess that’s as good a reason as any for me to watch this commercial another 30 times today.

As for me, I had just graduated high school. Was at my best friend’s parent’s house watching on their rear projection big screen tv. Sakic immediately handing the Cup to Bourque still gives me chills to this day.

AvsRuleU

Oct 16, 2013
Colorado
Was reminiscing with a buddy of mine about this the other day. I was a junior in HS at the time, and my buddy whos dad was a commercial airline pilot, and originally from Minnesota (huge hockey family) let a bunch of us HS friends party at their house for the game that evening in their huge basement. What an awesome time that was. We all went nuts when Tangs scored that first goal.

Also, can I just say, after watching some of the playoffs on ESPN, how much I really miss Gary Thorne. ESPN play by play has been ass.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad