Where were you when Colorado last won the cup?

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Wasn't watching hockey sadly, picked it up in 05 after the lockout. All I knew of hockey at the time was the Avs beat Florida when I lived there and Sakic seemed cool, so why not watch them. Jaguars are my football team, so I'm used to suffering through mediocrity. Just happy the Avs made it this far after all those false promising seasons.

Reactions: Reparlana

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Living in Montana and fly fishing like crazy for big trout at the time. I recall seeing Sakic hand off the SC to Bourque.

Reactions: Reparlana

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
Was living in Boulder and had just graduated from CU. I lived in Boulder from ‘95 - ‘01, saw two Stanley Cups and two Superbowls in 6 years. Probably never going to live anywhere again with that level of sporting success.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
I finished H.S and was going to College. I worked as a waiter on my first summer time job just to get some extra money in the restaurant and saw the game while working.

Last edited:

Gumballhead

Nov 18, 2002
Chicago
scotchhorns.bandcamp.com
I assumed I was one of the old guys here.

I guess was in 8th grade. I watched the game at home with a friend that was a Devils fan. I couldn’t do that now. At the time, neither of us were really into it. I definitely took for granted that golden era of Avs hockey. Just kind of assumed that’s how it always would be.

I didn’t get really into it until I graduated college and started paying for center ice around 2009…
Well I was a Nordiques fan so I am totally old. But that was when I was a kid and WOR was a superstation in the US like WGN and WTBS and they'd show Islanders and maybe Devils and Rangers games too? I saw a lot of Eastern Conference hockey and the Stastny's were older but still playing and that and the uniforms won me over. I was way more into the other major sports but I did enjoy hockey. When I moved to SF the Sharks were new and it was between that and the Olympic hockey that I became a hockey fan for life. It was then I grew to hate the Red Wings, the Sharks gave them lots of trouble. The timing of the Nords move to Colorado combined with the sudden massive ESPN coverage sealed the deal. No looking back now, except when I tell you kids about the good old days.

I might be stupid, but I'm not an "a".
You're not a stupid baby.

Reactions: tucker3434

Flanagan

Registered Loser
Jul 10, 2011
St. John's
I was 7 years old and the only hockey team I cared about was the St. John's Maple Leafs. A few months later I would watch the Olympics and get hooked on Sakic and the Avs forever.

Babel Salamander

Oct 9, 2017
I was living in Oakland. A friend who lived in San Jose was having a party and invited me, and I said I gotta watch game 7 and he said I can watch it at his place. When I got there and I asked "where we watching" and he led me to his bedroom and presented me with a 13 inch black and white TV with rabbit ears. I was pissed and he didn't understand at all what the big deal was.

Nevertheless I watched with two other people at the party and was excited as all hell. Thank goodness for Gary Thorne.

RECKLESS

Apr 23, 2019
High school. Skipping lessons for watching late nite / early morning games.
Meant to say sleeping during the day when there was school. We didn't have school late night / early morning as my post implies lol.

Hesher

Sagan for President
Jan 22, 2013
Slovakia
I was at home sleeping in my bed, because the 00/01 season was the only one at least since 95 without any NHL coverage here in Slovakia :mad:

Newusername

Jun 26, 2013
My old man is a Boston fan. Huge ray bourque fan. Brought tears to his eyes when bourque raised that cup. And what a legend sakic was for handing it over like that. Instantly a fan for life.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad