Votes: 22 15.7%
  • JVR - Marleau - Marner

Votes: 4 2.9%

• Total voters

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
They actually looked really good with Marleau in the third, much better than the last time they were tried together.

I didn't watch, so was curious who played with Bozak-Marner as Martin's ice time was a few minutes less at even strength.
I did notice Bozak's ice time was probably 2nd. highest for centers at even strength, so Babcock must have saw something.
Funny I said Marleau-Bozak-Marner a couple weeks about moving van Riemsdyk to the Kadri line but no one wanted than.
I think the concern was Kadri isn't good enough to carry van Riemsdyk :naughty:

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I would like to see what Marner can do playing with Matthews and what Nylander can do playing without Matthews. This will allow us to gauge what we have in both before signing them long term.

While it's clear Nylander is better I don't think this is a bad idea. The way Marner has been playing this season it's hard for me to believe he's not playing hurt or something but if that's not the case I think he just needs to get his confidence going and playing with Matthews will likely help that.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
While it's clear Nylander is better I don't think this is a bad idea. The way Marner has been playing this season it's hard for me to believe he's not playing hurt or something but if that's not the case I think he just needs to get his confidence going and playing with Matthews will likely help that.

(Lupul-Bozak-Kessel)

Kapanen-Matthews-Marner - primary scoring
Hyman-Kadri-Komarov - shutdown and tertiary scoring
Marleau-Bozak-Nylander - secondary scoring
van Riemsdyk-Brown-Martin - scrambled eggs and ham

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I didn't watch, so was curious who played with Bozak-Marner as Martin's ice time was a few minutes less at even strength.
I did notice Bozak's ice time was probably 2nd. highest for centers at even strength, so Babcock must have saw something.
Funny I said Marleau-Bozak-Marner a couple weeks about moving van Riemsdyk to the Kadri line but no one wanted than.
I think the concern was Kadri isn't good enough to carry van Riemsdyk :naughty:

Bozak had a good game, he was even on the ice with the goalie pulled. Marleau-Bozak-Marner I always thought should be a line but they didn't look good the one game they were together. They did look good last night but it was only a few shifts.

dzombs

Jul 8, 2016

He very well could be still affected by the mono, it can take like a year in some people to get back to being fully right. He does seem off, like the other game he had this one play where he did not skate hard to come back to help out the d and that was very un marner like. He could just be in a sophomore slump and just trying to do too much most shifts and not enough in others. I am not worried though he will shake whatever it is off and be dominant

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I would like to see what Marner can do playing with Matthews and what Nylander can do playing without Matthews. This will allow us to gauge what we have in both before signing them long term.
That would be great as Marner has always been held back by lesser players. I imagine they have a really good idea what the players are worth and won't really care to make changes just so the fans can gauge.

He very well could be still affected by the mono, it can take like a year in some people to get back to being fully right. He does seem off, like the other game he had this one play where he did not skate hard to come back to help out the d and that was very un marner like. He could just be in a sophomore slump and just trying to do too much most shifts and not enough in others. I am not worried though he will shake whatever it is off and be dominant

I don't believe he had mono. From what I understand he had a bad case of strep throat and Babcock misspoke.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
That would be great as Marner has always been held back by lesser players. I imagine they have a really good idea what the players are worth and won't really care to make changes just so the fans can gauge.

I don't believe he had mono. From what I understand he had a bad case of strep throat and Babcock misspoke.

They will use numbers to determine where Mitch and Nylander slot money wise. The way Mitch is playing and putting up points he won't even get Hyman money.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
They will use numbers to determine where Mitch and Nylander slot money wise. The way Mitch is playing and putting up points he won't even get Hyman money.
Makes you wonder if they are holding him back by design?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
While Marner can drive a line offensively, he does need someone to do the heavy lifting forechecking and puck retrieval to be most effective.

He doesn't have the size nor strength to win puck battles in heavy traffic or along the boards against bigger stronger players. He is often more on the perimeter and creating magic with his playmaking after he has puck possession when he is most dangerous.

I think a Hyman --- XXXX -- Marner type line would function well.

PS. I've said it before and I'll say it again.. The Leafs should really try and pry Christian Dvorak away from Arizona in trade and re-unite him with Mitch as his centre if possible.

Reactions: DarkKnight

member 262271

I'd like to see Marner with Matthews. He has the chance to be a pure playmaker, and who better to finish? Moving Nylander to the second line wouldn't be terrible either considering he hasn't been on a tear as of yet.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Would it kill anyone to try Marner on
I'd like to see Marner with Matthews. He has the chance to be a pure playmaker, and who better to finish? Moving Nylander to the second line wouldn't be terrible either considering he hasn't been on a tear as of yet.

Yup, why not at least give it a try. If anyone's going to get him going....

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Unfortunately we don't know Babs long term plan of who he plans to play with whom long term. If Marner is not playing with Matthews at all, then he needs a proper 3C. If Nylander is moving to center, then who does Marner play with? Nylander or Kadri. And how would that work? Is it a fit?

member 262271

Unfortunately we don't know Babs long term plan of who he plans to play with whom long term. If Marner is not playing with Matthews at all, then he needs a proper 3C. If Nylander is moving to center, then who does Marner play with? Nylander or Kadri. And how would that work? Is it a fit?
I suppose either Kadri or Nylander would do, but I'd pick Nylander myself, Marner really needs a strong finisher.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I suppose either Kadri or Nylander would do, but I'd pick Nylander myself, Marner really needs a strong finisher.
He needs a skilled player that can play at speed. Currently the Leafs have 4 players that can play at speed, Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Marleau.

Reactions: Fluke Schenn

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Maybe they should just replicate the London line? Bring in a strong two way centerman at some point and shop for a long term power forward to pair with Marner.

Reactions: Trapper

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Until Marner shoots more, it is not a good idea. Now the 1st line has 2 passer-finishers (Matthews, Nylander) and a HoF (Hyman). If you move Marner to 1st line, the 1st line will have 1 HoF, 1 passer-finisher and 1 passer.

Reactions: Trapper

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Until Marner shoots more, it is not a good idea. Now the 1st line has 2 passer-finishers (Matthews, Nylander) and a HoF (Hyman). If you move Marner to 1st line, the 1st line will have 1 HoF, 1 passer-finisher and 1 passer.
He seems like he's been shooting the puck more lately. Ripped a laser off the crossbar last night.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
LOL I love this.
HOF Hyman = Hyman on Forecheck! He's a HOF player.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
He seems like he's been shooting the puck more lately. Ripped a laser off the crossbar last night.

Maybe its just me, but I feel like Marner has made a pretty noticeable effort to shoot much more this year, and I think part of his struggles is that he is trying to shoot (or move into a shooting position) instead of making the wild plays he was capable of last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad