Where Does Zuccarello Place All-Time?

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I think he'll take the 1st line RW spot on our latest team-of-the-decade poll, ahead of Nash and Gaborik.

So that's pretty impressive, that he's the best right winger of the decade for a franchise.

Probly end up looking like

Kreider-Stepan-Zuccarello
Dubinsky-Zibanejad-Gaborik
Miller-Brassard-Nash
Hagelin-Hayes-Callahan
Richards, Anisimov.

McDonagh-Stralman
Staal-Girardi
Skjei-Klein
Yandle

Lundqvist
Talbot

Reactions: fredrikstad

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
My initial reaction is to say top 100.

He doesn't pop up when I give a brief thought to what the the top 10 or 20 would look like.

But it does start to make me wonder outside of that. It's almost easy to overlook that Zucc is 26th in total points for the Rangers and 76th in points per game.

In my mind 26 still seems too high, while 76th would seem too low.

Split the difference and you have 51 --- and that seems to be more in the ballpark. You could make a case for including him in the top 50, but you'd probably find more consensus with him being in the top 75 or so.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Easily top 50 for more a present oriented view, top 75-100 on a serious all-time list. Currently sits at 38 in all-time NYR scoring.

Reactions: Ori

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yes it`s all about stats, but the topic is about own opinion concerning a player as well. And this Fracnhise have stats on everything except the amount of Stanley cups at least Rangers have 1 in 94. :)
We need to hit in the next couple of years in the draft - if we are going to compete for a cup in let`s say in the next 3-5 years.

and 99 others

la la la la la la la... a little bit alexis
Jul 27, 2011
He is Even #1 Norwegian born player in the NHL.
But where would you NA Rangerfans rank him up against players from 2010 until now ? He could have had one more PO run if it wasn't for the puck that took away his abillity to talk and play for months in 2014. Could have given the Kings a harder match for their Cup. We never know. I,as a Norwegian Rangerfan are proud of what he has done so far in his career. Maybe Espen Knutsen are close?

Doesn’t Zucc have more goals than espen had career points?

Zucc36

Jan 8, 2011
Doesn’t Zucc have more goals than espen had career points?

Knutsen (111 points in 207 games - 0.54 p/g)
Zucc (352 points in 509 games 0.69 p/g - and counting.....)

I don´t want to take anything away from Knutsen, he did great in Columbus, but IMO it´s not even close.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I think you're being unfair to Zuccarello only looking at how many total points and PPG he has as a Ranger. A gritty, two-way winger with alot of intangibles (real intangibles, not Chris Drury intangibles).

He was an integral component in the playoff runs. When he was injured, NYR lost a lot of spark. Many players had career seasons playing with Zuccarello. Heck, even Pouliot looked like a threat playing with Zuke and Brassard has never been as good as he was paired with Zuccarello.

He's very liked in the locker room and seems to naturally know how to lift team morale. He's much less one dimensional than other players ahead of him in scoring/ PPG. He might not be a star player, but he's been a great core two-way player.

How many teams do consecutively have the 3rd line as the best scoring line in the playoffs and gone far? Zuccarello was a huge reason why. And then he played for Torts at the start of his career, which playing style suited Zuke as well as ice in a desert. His hard work even won Torts over and that's saying something.

And then he took two discounts to keep the team more competitive, only for management to waste that money on UFA garbage. Comparing Zuccarello to a player like Kovalev for example, Kovalev had amazing hands, but his hustling was non-existant unless he became angry. In a playoff run, I would rather play Zuccarello than "box of chocolates"* Kovalev IMO.

Not many skilled players can say they're as willing to bleed for a team as Zuke.

*Yes, "box of chocolates" is a Forrest Gump reference. "You never know what you're gonna get."

Last edited:

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
I tend to agree.

This is an old franchise with a long history. Zucc is a blip on the screen.

That's a little harsh. But its as with opinions, some of them are open for debate. As a Rangers fan, and especially one from Norway, his stay here is always going to be a fond memory for me for many reasons.

Zuccarello has been part of the New York Rangers for 9 1/2 years. He has been this teams top point producer 4.3% of this franchises existance in the NHL, and a New York Ranger for 10.2% of the time Rangers have had its name.

Zuccarello is 37th on all time games played, 47th in all time goals scored, 15th all time assists for the New York Rangers. Only 25 players in this franchise have seen their name on the scoreboard more often than Mats Zuccarello, he joins them at 26th all time points for the Rangers, 37th all time (+/-) rating, 27th all time Game Winning Goals. He also sports a 50% shootout stat (that I could find online, but some of these stats seem outdated, but all say 50%) for his career, this would make him one of the best penalty shooters in the NHL.

For Norwegians, he is special. He is our only NHL star, and the one guy in the entire country that really brings up nationwide interest in the sport.

He took actual home town discounts to first allow the Rangers to re-sign Hagelin and keep the team intact, and then took another hometown discount to remain with the Rangers. The shot from McDonagh gave him a lingering brain injury that still follows him to this day, and is seen as consensus that had a very big impact on the Rangers cup chances that year.

He's been known as an agitator and have brough more than one cheer from crowd after going after people like Parros, Hedman, Chara, etc. He's been a fearless soldier for the New York Rangers, and ends his tenure here with his highest point production to date, and a letter on his sleeve.

But just a insignificant blip.

Last edited:

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
That's a little harsh. But its as with opinions, some of them are open for debate. As a Rangers fan, and especially one from Norway, his stay here is always going to be a fond memory for me for many reasons.

Zuccarello has been part of the New York Rangers for 9 1/2 years. He has been this teams top point producer 4.3% of this franchises existance in the NHL, and a New York Ranger for 10.2% of the time Rangers have had its name.

Zuccarello is 37th on all time games played, 47th in all time goals scored, 15th all time assists for the New York Rangers. Only 25 players in this franchise have seen their name on the scoreboard more often than Mats Zuccarello, he joins them at 26th all time points for the Rangers, 37th all time (+/-) rating, 27th all time Game Winning Goals. He also sports a 50% shootout stat (that I could find online, but some of these stats seem outdated, but all say 50%) for his career, this would make him one of the best penalty shooters in the NHL.

For Norwegians, he is special. He is our only NHL star, and the one guy in the entire country that really brings up nationwide interest in the sport.

He took actual home town discounts to first allow the Rangers to re-sign Hagelin and keep the team intact, and then took another hometown discount to remain with the Rangers. The shot from McDonagh gave him a lingering brain injury that still follows him to this day, and is seen as consensus that had a very big impact on the Rangers cup chances that year.

He's been known as an agitator and have brough more than one cheer from crowd after going after people like Parros, Hedman, Chara, etc. He's been a fearless soldier for the New York Rangers, and ends his tenure here with his highest point production to date, and a letter on his sleeve.

But just a insignificant blip.

Good points for sure. You also have to factor in that he's cheered at every arena in the NHL by Rangers fans and is probably the second most popular Ranger on the team. For years. That's a factor in your standing "all time".

Top 50, no question.

Reactions: CHGoalie27

Zamboner

Juice in his slacks
Feb 7, 2013
NY
#1 Norwegian New York Ranger of all time.

I saw that Zuke was 26th all time in points and then I counted 35 Rangers below him that I thought were "better." This included goalies and defenseman, is highly subjective, and I'm sure I forgot some great defenseman and dudes before the 1970s, so I have Zuke in the 60s, but he'd fall further with a more thorough search, I imagine. 70s or 80s?

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Is he traded in 10 days or given another 5 years? Might make a difference.
Either or.......top 30 for sure. There isn't the obvious stat that puts him there. It probably is more about the total package. I believe it or not.......would compare him to a Walter Tkaczuk........somewhat of an underestimated bull, that gets the job done. A

Zuccha brings that goofy grin, that never goes unnoticed, or weary. An angry face when need be. An unexpected goal, when we all know he is going to pass. An almost guaranteed shoot out goal. Money.
Good luck my friend, you will temporarily bring happiness elsewhere........hope to seeing you soon!

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad