Where Does Zuccarello Place All-Time?

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
This is a tough question ... errr top 25?

I think he’s getting moved but he also could resign as a ufa....

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
True, but those years where he bounced back and forth between NY and HFD don't really add to his legacy.

Which is another thing I wasn't talking about. I addressed the poster who said he was "here" for 5 years, which is incorrect. That's all. I wasn't analyzing those years.

But, let's remember that Martin St. Louis "bounced around" his first couple of years, too, and really played his first full season at age 25. It's harder for these smaller forwards to break through and stay in the NHL and Zooks overcame that. I'd like to think that adds to his legacy, but obviously that's a matter of personal interpretation.

Reactions: Ori and teon

Pistachio

I love your mother
Sep 10, 2013
Let's not forget, his time bouncing around was under Torts. Their styles never really worked together. Once Zucc was put on a line with quick agile forwards, like Brassard and Pouliot he started producing. Zucc doesn't play well with fourth liners.

Reactions: Ori

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I could probably make a case for Kreider, Stralman, Zibanejad, Staal (Had 8 great years on defense) and guys who, despite not playing for that many years, were better players like Nylander, Prucha (30-goal season, man), Shanahan. But yeah, Zuccarello is in the top-15 in the salary cap era. Top-100 all-time

Wouldn’t argue Stralman. He had 3 years with the team and didn’t truly establish himself until after.

Staal had 5 great years of defense and was questionable after 2012, got hurt in 2013. One all-star selection. Yes, he’s had more term than Zuccarello but Zuccarello has done more.

I’d argue Zuccarello over Kreider, considering Zuccarello’s impact and role over Kreider on these teams and Zibanejad as much as I like him, it’s too early to even consider him.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Above of Gerbe and Theo Fleury. About the same as Martin St. Louis. Way below Brain Boyle.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Somewhere in the 45-60 range probably.

I could probably make a case for Kreider, Stralman, Zibanejad, Staal (Had 8 great years on defense) and guys who, despite not playing for that many years, were better players like Nylander, Prucha (30-goal season, man), Shanahan. But yeah, Zuccarello is in the top-15 in the salary cap era. Top-100 all-time

I don't think there's much (if any) argument for Stralman, Prucha, and Shanny. Zucc is so far ahead of them in terms of an all-time "greatest Rangers" list that it makes me question your objectivity.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Players I'd rank ahead of Zuccarello in the salary cap era:

1. Lundqvist
2. Jagr
3. McDonagh
4. Gaborik
5. Stepan
6. Nash

I would add (in no particular order):
  • Callahan
  • Girardi (when he was healthy)
  • Staal (pre-injuries)
Other names (eg Brassard) would probably be more controversial and would depend on which criteria you most value when evaluating a player.

Reactions: Crease

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
So, if Zucc is somewhere around 7th-10th since the lockout (which looks about fair), then we can probably get a decent estimate.

That's 15 years of the Rangers 93-year history. About a sixth. So somewhere in the 42nd-60th range?

This era was probably more successful than the others on average but it lacked a cup, so I don't think I'd adjust for a stronger or weaker peer group.

Also, it's eerily close to my own 45-60 number, so I'm more inclined to stick with it ;).

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I would add (in no particular order):
  • Callahan
  • Girardi (when he was healthy)
  • Staal (pre-injuries)
Other names (eg Brassard) would probably be more controversial and would depend on which criteria you most value when evaluating a player.

Brassard could be in the debate because of his play off performances

Reactions: RoarLionRoar

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I mean let's talk about who's definitely ahead of him.

Bill Cook, Bun Cook, Frank Boucher, Bryan Hextall, Andy Bathgate, Jimmy Neilson, Rod Seiling, Harry Howell, Rod Gilbert, Jean Ratelle, Vic Hadfield, Walt Tkaczuk, Ron Duguay, Ron Greschner, Mark Messier, Adam Graves, Brian Leetch, Sergei Zubov, Mike Richter, Alex Kovalev, Wayne Gretzky, Jaromir Jagr, Henrik Lundqvist, Ryan McDonagh.

That's 24 and I didn't even begin to begin yet. I only included names that aren't remotely debatable.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Bill Cook, Bun Cook, Frank Boucher, Bryan Hextall, Andy Bathgate, Jimmy Neilson, Rod Seiling, Harry Howell, Rod Gilbert, Jean Ratelle, Vic Hadfield, Walt Tkaczuk, Ron Duguay, Ron Greschner, Mark Messier, Adam Graves, Brian Leetch, Sergei Zubov, Mike Richter, Alex Kovalev, Wayne Gretzky, Jaromir Jagr, Henrik Lundqvist, Ryan McDonagh.

That's 24 and I didn't even begin to begin yet. I only included names that aren't remotely debatable.
How could you leave Ching Johnson off the list?

Reactions: Machinehead

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT

Brad Park

Esposito

Beazer

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Eddie!

Reactions: Machinehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad