Where Does Zuccarello Place All-Time?

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I felt this topic is too early until another Franchise sign him long term, because he will play much longer than Rick Nash if he can stay relative healthy, and maybe Rangers resign him who knows? :)

I hope you guys are aware how hard it will be to sign either Matt Duchene or Panarin this summer - most teams will have an offer for those players, and many teams will have offers for Zucc no doubts when he is UFA. So if he is gone in a rental value within a week he might not return.

Worst case scenario is if Mika stop producing since he is on PPG pace at the moment, and Islanders end up signing Zucc long term who are our friendly neighbours in New York.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I hope you guys are aware how hard it will be to sign either Matt Duchene or Panarin this summer - most teams will have an offer for those players, and many teams will have offers for Zucc no doubts when he is UFA. So if he is gone in a rental value within a week he might not return.
While many are pining for Panarin, I do not think he is coming here. And no one is banking on signing those two.

Reactions: Ori

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
I mean let's talk about who's definitely ahead of him.

Bill Cook, Bun Cook, Frank Boucher, Bryan Hextall, Andy Bathgate, Jimmy Neilson, Rod Seiling, Harry Howell, Rod Gilbert, Jean Ratelle, Vic Hadfield, Walt Tkaczuk, Ron Duguay, Ron Greschner, Mark Messier, Adam Graves, Brian Leetch, Sergei Zubov, Mike Richter, Alex Kovalev, Wayne Gretzky, Jaromir Jagr, Henrik Lundqvist, Ryan McDonagh.

That's 24 and I didn't even begin to begin yet. I only included names that aren't remotely debatable.

Zubov was here for 3 years and effectively played two seasons worth of regular season games. No sir.

I think the fans enthusiasm has to play a factor, too. Top 50 for me, but it's obviously a lot of personal interpretation.

Was Sean Avery, stats-wise/career-wise, a top 100 Ranger? No. But, I'd bet you'd get a lot of arguments for him being in the top 100.

Reactions: Rongomania

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
I can't speak for all-time all-time Rangers. In my heart and time, he has a special place.

For many years - the AV times specially - in some totally illogical way, the smallest, pretty much least odds to make it to show, Hobbit ass midget from Norway, is the guy making plays, scoring sick goals, killing in the shootout, being a magician, throwing hits, protecting his teammates, though as nails, taking a Pejorative Sluring slapper to the head, come back and rekindle his fire. That's it. This guy gave it all.

I've first witnessed the guy at an Olympic or World Cup tournament on TV, he was a FA basically at the time. He's good, really good, small, but f***ing good. He became a Ranger and didn't disappoint. Those midget (Brass, Hags, Zucc) and swedish connections (Zucc from his Elite League time) were pure chemistry and loyalty.

A truly great, once a Ranger always a Ranger.

Reactions: Ori

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009
Brad Park high key should be a slam dunk top 5 guy at the minimum and much like his Norris Trophy wins, he doesn’t get that either lol
Out of curiosity, what's your top five? I see the argument for him to be there, but to consider it a slam-dunk I feel like you need to either not value cups, not value pre-expansion, or heavily value peak and count Norris-2 to Orr as winning a Norris.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
Out of curiosity, what's your top five? I see the argument for him to be there, but to consider it a slam-dunk I feel like you need to either not value cups, not value pre-expansion, or heavily value peak and count Norris-2 to Orr as winning a Norris.

I might be biased towards Bradford Park but

I think his Norris context is pretty unique and important though. For a decade this guy was the best defenseman in the league outside of the one guy who was arguably the greatest player in the sports history. I take that as being pretty good.

I'm soft on valuing Cups to be honest because I don't know that it's a great way to judge individual players. Also our franchise literally does not win Stanley Cups.

Reactions: Greg02 and Sarge13

fredrikstad

Jan 4, 2011
Norway
He’s #1 all time for a Norwegian born Ranger and I’ll fight anyone that disagrees.
He is Even #1 Norwegian born player in the NHL.
But where would you NA Rangerfans rank him up against players from 2010 until now ? He could have had one more PO run if it wasn't for the puck that took away his abillity to talk and play for months in 2014. Could have given the Kings a harder match for their Cup. We never know. I,as a Norwegian Rangerfan are proud of what he has done so far in his career. Maybe Espen Knutsen are close?

Last edited:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
He is Even #1 Norwegian born player in the NHL.
But where would you NÅ fans tank him up against players from 2010 until now ? He could have had one more PO run if it wasn't for the puck that took away his abillity to talk and play for months in 2014. Could have given the Kings a harder match for their Cup. We never know.

The puck hitting him in the head, was in 2015.

Sarge13

May 30, 2018
I tend to agree.

This is an old franchise with a long history. Zucc is a blip on the screen.

I tend to agree also but.... the old franchise and long history you're talking about has way more blips on the screen than franchise players. Most organizations do, but the Rangers unquestionably lead the way.

He's a top 10 blip and nothing you say will convince me otherwise !

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I tend to agree also but.... the old franchise and long history you're talking about has way more blips on the screen than franchise players. Most organizations do, but the Rangers unquestionably lead the way.

He's a top 10 blip and nothing you say will convince me otherwise !

Top 10?

Okay. I'll play. Which of these 10 is lower than Zuccarello on the list of all-time Rangers?

Gilbert
Leetch
Messier
Graves
Richter
Lundqvist
Giacomin
Park
Howell
Bathgate
Greschner
Jagr

Sorry, that's 12.

Crapshoot

May 30, 2014
Top 10?

Okay. I'll play. Which of these 10 is lower than Zuccarello on the list of all-time Rangers?

Gilbert
Leetch
Messier
Graves
Richter
Lundqvist
Giacomin
Park
Howell
Bathgate
Greschner
Jagr

Sorry, that's 12.

Top 10 blip on a screen in certainly not better than any of the players you mentioned, thats right.

Sarge13

May 30, 2018
A blip, someone who only played for the team a short time.

Mike Rogers, Pierre Larouche, Steve Larmer, Pat Verbeek - all blips :propeller

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I don’t think Zuccarello rates above McDonagh or Stepan. I’d also put Esposito, Vickers and Dave Maloney over him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad