Where does the JT Miller trade rank in Canucks history?

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Where does it rank among

• Linden for Bertuzzi
  • Bertuzzi for Luongo
  • Stojanov for Naslund
  • Compensatory (late) 2nd for Ehrhoff
  • Quinn and Butcher for Ronning, Courtnall and Momesso
  • Sundstrom for McLean and Gus Adams
  • a 5th for King Richard
EDIT: of course vadim sharifijanov beat me to most of them

Reactions: Dave Lister

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Naslund, Sedins draft day deals, Luongo in and maybe out, Ehrhoff are quick ones that come to mind that are better

Elias GOATtersson

Jan 8, 2011
Great player. The other half hasn't resolved yet, so we still don't know. If the 1st turns into 1st overall whoever next year, I think it was a bad trade. Fun to watch, awesome that he's done so well, but what's the point if we don't do anything while he's here? It's all hypothetical at this point.

Reactions: Bleach Clean

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Naslund, Sedins draft day deals, Luongo in and maybe out, Ehrhoff are quick ones that come to mind that are better
Ehrhoff was really the straw that stirred that team's drink. Such a key piece of that team coming for such a low price.

Makes me happy to have an arguably franchise level offensive d-man on the team now for the next 15~ years hopefully.

Reactions: Dave Lister

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's early, but if Miller keeps this up then this is a deal that ranks right up there with Naslund, Bertuzzi and Luongo.

Reactions: Kreator

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Just a reminder that Bertuzzi played 7 games total for Florida.

They then traded him for Shawn Matthias.

Luongo was our best player for several years and took us to Game 7 of the SCF.

We then traded him for current team MVP, Markstrom.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Just a reminder that Bertuzzi played 7 games total for Florida.

They then traded him for Shawn Matthias.

Luongo was our best player for several years and took us to Game 7 of the SCF.

We then traded him for current team MVP, Markstrom.
Ha, we also got Matthias in that deal. Funny how that all worked out.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Great player. The other half hasn't resolved yet, so we still don't know. If the 1st turns into 1st overall whoever next year, I think it was a bad trade. Fun to watch, awesome that he's done so well, but what's the point if we don't do anything while he's here? It's all hypothetical at this point.

That is flawed logic right there.

We traded Miller for the chance of that happening.

Now, if we make the playoffs both years, that would change the equation. But to wait snd see how the draftlottery unfolds and decide based on that makes no sense to me.

BuT wE gAVE uP a FiRsT roUnD pICK

Sigh........

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019

At this point, this is nearly a mathematical impossibility. It would mean we not only not make the playoffs this year but that we collapse so catastrophically as to win the draft lottery. That is the only way Miller becomes a 1OA. To give context to this, TBL thinks so poorly of this likelihood that they traded our 1st to NJD for part of the cost of a middle 6 forward.

Elias GOATtersson

Jan 8, 2011
At this point, this is nearly a mathematical impossibility. It would mean we not only not make the playoffs this year but that we collapse so catastrophically as to win the draft lottery. That is the only way Miller becomes a 1OA. To give context to this, TBL thinks so poorly of this likelihood that they traded our 1st to NJD for part of the cost of a middle 6 forward.
Missing the playoffs at all means we have a chance to win the 1st overall, nowhere near an impossibility.

Reactions: Regular David Bruce

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Missing the playoffs at all means we have a chance to win the 1st overall, nowhere near an impossibility.
We are at what? 91% chance to make the playoffs? And let’s say that we barely fall short, that gives us a 1% chance of winning the draft lottery and collectively 3.3% of drafting top-3. As I said, near mathematical impossibility.

Plus, we’d keep the pick this year even if we miss the playoffs.

Superlative Soup

Treasured and Marveled
Apr 8, 2013
Saskatchewan
I hated the trade when it happened but I didn’t think him being our best player this year was even in the range of outcomes but here we are. He has been incredible.

Reactions: Grantham

Elias GOATtersson

Jan 8, 2011
We are at what? 91% chance to make the playoffs? And let’s say that we barely fall short, that gives us a 1% chance of winning the draft lottery and collectively 3.3% of drafting top-3. As I said, near mathematical impossibility.

Plus, we’d keep the pick this year even if we miss the playoffs.
Hence me saying next years 1st overall.

Elias GOATtersson

Jan 8, 2011
If we miss the playoffs then we get the pick.

We would have to miss this year and then next year and then win the lottery
Considering how tight the race is right now, I don't think we should be banking on them making the playoffs right now. It's all too early to be talking about it is all I'm saying. For now, we got a great player.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
I see your point and I agree, but now that it's done it's hard to evaluate when you go too far into the context of the trade, like what if he doesn't do anything while here.

Like I was exhuberant when we dumped Guddy for Pearson, but then instead of Guddy throwing pizza's to opponents in the slot every game we had Pearson go on a 40 goal scoring pace from the deadline to the end of the season. That trade alone is probably worth three slots in the draft lottery, either putting us where NYR was when they won the lottery giving us Kakko or at minimum letting us draft Zegras. So in that way the trade was a phenomenal win in player value but maybe not ideal for long term, but it gets way too hard to evaluate trades like this so we stick with Pearson for guddy being a huge win because as a transaction it was.

Immediately post-trade I called it a break even trade if Miller scored 55-60 and we made the playoffs. For a PPG 1st line winger it's a no brainer even if we miss the playoffs unless the pick wins the lotto.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
It's early, but if Miller keeps this up then this is a deal that ranks right up there with Naslund, Bertuzzi and Luongo.

Yeah those three were 1st/2nd team all-stars who we acquired for a song. Going with LW's, Miller's having either a career or a breakout year but he's still no Naslund, and a highly random 1st plus a 3rd is not the same value as Alex Stojanov.

This is one of those deals where we pay good value and got good value, that can be looked at in a more positive light now because the cost may not be as steep as expected and the value received a bit better than expected. For the price payed though you should expect to be getting roughly a 60 point player. If it looks amazing that's because Benning's past cost comparables were Brandon Sutter and Erik Gudbranson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad