Speculation: Where does Tavares end up?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If this goes to the weekend, I'm gonna get my hopes up a bit. I think the longer it takes JT to make a decision, the more likely he's leaving the Islanders, at least. Seems like if he wants to stay, that's the decision he'd come to most quickly, sort of the way it went with Stamkos.

LordZapp

Jan 31, 2015
Texas
If this goes to the weekend, I'm gonna get my hopes up a bit. I think the longer it takes JT to make a decision, the more likely he's leaving the Islanders, at least. Seems like if he wants to stay, that's the decision he'd come to most quickly, sort of the way it went with Stamkos.
Didn't stamkos wait until the last minute before he resigned? :laugh:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Didn't stamkos wait until the last minute before he resigned? :laugh:

Nope. Stamkos cut the interviews off halfway through and signed in TB. He had a bunch of teams waiting to meet with him that he told to go home.

Reactions: berlin

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
It's more than that. At least a couple of insiders, and the better ones (Lebrun), have said they believe we're still in on Karlsson.

From everything I've read, we're listed as a team that "has shown interest," which we did.. at the deadline, lots of writers use dated info. The only team with traction on Karlsson this off-season is Vegas, and consider that offer for one second, they want Vegas's best prospect, a roster player, and take on Ryan's contract in full.

We can't take on Ryan's contract, we would need to give up a haul of prospects/picks to make up for it and this, that's Cal Foote/Sergachev and at least one of Raddysh/Katchouk, dipping into the rich prospect pool at the deadline was low-risk, trading for Karlsson after doing that just dries it out and we enter the danger zone for long term sustainability which is not how Yzerman works. Hard to believe we're in on anything serious regarding Karlsson until next July if he's available.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
From everything I've read, we're listed as a team that "has shown interest," which we did.. at the deadline, lots of writers use dated info. The only team with traction on Karlsson this off-season is Vegas, and consider that offer for one second, they want Vegas's best prospect, a roster player, and take on Ryan's contract in full.

We can't take on Ryan's contract, we would need to give up a haul of prospects/picks to make up for it and this, that's Cal Foote/Sergachev and at least one of Raddysh/Katchouk, dipping into the rich prospect pool at the deadline was low-risk, trading for Karlsson after doing that just dries it out and we enter the danger zone for long term sustainability which is not how Yzerman works. Hard to believe we're in on anything serious regarding Karlsson until next July if he's available.

When something comes from Lebrun about the Lightning, I tend to give it more credit. Whenever the Karlsson situation heated back up a few weeks ago, some insider tweeted something along the lines of us being "in on" Karlsson in an under-the-radar way, and Lebrun said he believed so too. I think a couple of other writers just picked up on that and ran with it, but Lebrun is pretty much the only insider who's shown he can take TB's pulse. If something comes from Darren Pang, I tend to believe it too, just because of his relationship with Yzerman.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
When something comes from Lebrun about the Lightning, I tend to give it more credit. Whenever the Karlsson situation heated back up a few weeks ago, some insider tweeted something along the lines of us being "in on" Karlsson in an under-the-radar way, and Lebrun said he believed so too. I think a couple of other writers just picked up on that and ran with it, but Lebrun is pretty much the only insider who's shown he can take TB's pulse. If something comes from Darren Pang, I tend to believe it too, just because of his relationship with Yzerman.

Here's the thing with Pang. Because of his friendship, he will only say what Yzerman tells him he can say. Just out of respect, I don't think Pang says anything close to what he knows.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012

He'll get 8 years with the Isles only if he signs before July 1st. If Tavares hits the market, that almost certainly means he's not coming back.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Here's the thing with Pang. Because of his friendship, he will only say what Yzerman tells him he can say. Just out of respect, I don't think Pang says anything close to what he knows.

Agreed. Usually when Pang gives info, it's a backstory to something that's already happened.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He'll get 8 years with the Isles only if he signs before July 1st. If Tavares hits the market, that almost certainly means he's not coming back.

Yeah, but I think the odds start going down well before that. I think they get a little lower by the hour.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I think we signed our Lucic with Miller.

Dont know about that yet. Miller was playing this way at the end of the season and somewhat into the NJ/Bos series but he went soft vs the Caps. I dont know if he was hurt or what it was. It is concerning to hear Ranger fans say it and then does the same thing with us. I like him a lot and think he can be really good here but I am worried about that.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I got a good feeling he comes to Tampa if Saturday passes and he does not take the 8 years with the islanders. But we’ll see I still think he takes the money from the islanders.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Dont know about that yet. Miller was playing this way at the end of the season and somewhat into the NJ/Bos series but he went soft vs the Caps. I dont know if he was hurt or what it was. It is concerning to hear Ranger fans say it and then does the same thing with us. I like him a lot and think he can be really good here but I am worried about that.

I don't think he's Lucic, I think he fits the Lucic role here. TBD if it happens that way or not

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I don't think he's Lucic, I think he fits the Lucic role here. TBD if it happens that way or not

We already have one - his names Callahan who can't be fixed. Same with Lucic who can't produce even if glued to McDavid, they signed him long term on the downside of his career. We signed Miller on his upswing, keep him with good linemates he'll produce well. I don't see it, 2 years down the line if we needed to move him, Miller would be an easy transaction at 27 years old with term and multiple 55+ seasons.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
We already have one - his names Callahan who can't be fixed. Same with Lucic who can't produce even if glued to McDavid, they signed him long term on the downside of his career. We signed Miller on his upswing, keep him with good linemates he'll produce well. I don't see it, 2 years down the line if we needed to move him, Miller would be an easy transaction at 27 years old with term and multiple 55+ seasons.

I wasn't directly comparing them. I'm only speaking of Millers skill type and role, not his skill level or his value. In the mold of a power forward, he's going to be counted on to win board battles and create space for his linemates just like Lucic is in Edmonton. Not in a million years would I want Lucic, what an atrocious contract Edmonton gave out made worse by the fact that he was supposed to be the replacement of the most recent Hart trophy winner.

Reactions: Bolts265

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
I got a feeling that he is going to go to Toronto the amount of money which they could probably offer is way more than us. I will be shocked if he stays at the moment of time. Only factor is does he want to move for more money or does he want to win the cup, as harsh as this seems is Toronto the best place for him to achieve that?.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Apparently he flew home to Toronto today. Leaf fans are about to shut this site down. ...Then again, even I'm wondering if this is a legit signal.

Reactions: A1LeafNation

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Apparently he flew home to Toronto today. Leaf fans are about to shut this site down. ...Then again, even I'm wondering if this is a legit signal.
From what I've heard he always spends his off seasons at home in Toronto.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
I got a feeling that he is going to go to Toronto the amount of money which they could probably offer is way more than us. I will be shocked if he stays at the moment of time. Only factor is does he want to move for more money or does he want to win the cup, as harsh as this seems is Toronto the best place for him to achieve that?.
If he signs in Toronto be ready for the wave of Tavares threads:
Is Tavares better than Crosby!?
Tavares vs Ovechkin
Tavares vs McDavid
Will Tavares score 50 or 60 goals?
etc.
You know thats what would happen.

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
If he signs in Toronto be ready for the wave of Tavares threads:
Is Tavares better than Crosby!?
Tavares vs Ovechkin
Tavares vs McDavid
Will Tavares score 50 or 60 goals?
etc.
You know thats what would happen.

I just hope for the fans from the rest of the league that he does not sign there not only would it be beneficial as they cant gloat like this or be hilarious them saying that they never wanted him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad