Speculation: Where does Tavares end up??

Where does Tavares end up??

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
this whole thing is depressing as an islander fan. they keep both snow and weight, that should send a clear message to JT that winning is not the organizations top priority.

He'd still be my fave player if he left, and I'd wish him all the success in the world. I couldn't blame him for leaving this shit show.

I mean, how is it even possible that you have a team that has 2 80pt+ players, 1 40G player, and not even be in the playoff conversation??

That has to be a huge kick to the balls for JT. I'm sure he's very conflicted about the whole thing

Reactions: HavocWreaker

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
this whole thing is depressing as an islander fan. they keep both snow and weight, that should send a clear message to JT that winning is not the organizations top priority.

He'd still be my fave player if he left, and I'd wish him all the success in the world. I couldn't blame him for leaving this **** show.

I mean, how is it even possible that you have a team that has 2 80pt+ players, 1 40G player, and not even be in the playoff conversation??

That has to be a huge kick to the balls for JT. I'm sure he's very conflicted about the whole thing

Greiss/Halak clearly dont help.

He needs help in the net

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
I still think Nashville might surprise some. They could easily trade Turris, Smith or Bonino to free up capsapce

Been thinking this as well. Move Bonino ($4 million). Fisher and Hartnell not re-signed ($2 million). Emelin likely gone ($4 million).

Depending on what Tavares would want dollar wise and his desire to win a Cup or two, this could work out well for both sides.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015

He'd still be my fave player if he left, and I'd wish him all the success in the world. I couldn't blame him for leaving this **** show.

Yup, how could someone even blame JT, hes missed more playoffs then hes been apart of, really rough situation all around.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
If im Bergevin im offering him 13m fully front loaded. 14 if that's what it takes. Make him the highest paid player in hockey. I see absolutely no reason why not, they can afford it with no foreseeable cap issues in the future unless one of Galchenyuk or Droin become a 90pt player on his wing and then we have a few years before we deal with it [. . . . ]

What i want to know is are there any other teams that could go that high on Tavares? Vegas maybe? Would Islanders even go that high?

The Sharks probably could. I don't think that they should go that high but with the cap going up, they probably have room. That partially depends on if Thornton is healthy and comes back but IMO, they should let Thornton walk if they absolutely have to in order to get Tavares. They shouldn't have to if Thornton signs for less, which he should IMO given his injury concerns. He'd also like to win a cup with SJ and I think he'd want to sign for less if it meant getting Tavares.

I think he'll most likely stay with the Islanders but it makes a lot of sense for him to see what other teams have to offer. There are several good contenders IMO and, if nothing else, at least it will give him a better bargaining position with the NYI. He'll also know what he gave up, no matter which team he signs with, instead of always wondering "I wonder what I could have gotten in free agency?"

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Other GMs aren't stupid and would see what Nashville is doing. Do you think other GMs would like to help Nashville build themselves into a dynasty? If the do trade for one of those players, the GM will make it very painful for Nashville to do so. They aren't charities to help out other clubs get even better, Unless you are Dale Tallon who seems to have a soft spot in helping out Chicago.
I’m pretty sure a team in the East especially, who can’t get Tavares, isn’t gonna care all that much about what Nashville ends up doing with Tavares, and how good it’ll make them.

You worry about your own team, not everyone else’s.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
I’m pretty sure a team in the East especially, who can’t get Tavares, isn’t gonna care all that much about what Nashville ends up doing with Tavares, and how good it’ll make them.

You worry about your own team, not everyone else’s.
Its like buying a house that is about to go into foreclosure. You hold all the cards and you can go into the negotiations from a position of strength where you will try and rake the seller for as much as you can get from him. Same with this hockey trade. Even if you don't care that Nashville gets Tavares, you are aware that to do so, they have to move some cap. At that point, you go in and try and either lowball the trade or get a pick or prospect to the point of pain because Nashville wants JT that badly. If you didn't do that, you aren't a very good GM.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Its like buying a house that is about to go into foreclosure. You hold all the cards and you can go into the negotiations from a position of strength where you will try and rake the seller for as much as you can get from him. Same with this hockey trade. Even if you don't care that Nashville gets Tavares, you are aware that to do so, they have to move some cap. At that point, you go in and try and either lowball the trade or get a pick or prospect to the point of pain because Nashville wants JT that badly. If you didn't do that, you aren't a very good GM.

Except they'd have three months to work out trades, to reduce their cap hit. Sooner or later, you will find someone to do a decent trade with, even though you are dealing from a position of weakness. If it's last minute, you would certainly have a point.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
I can agree with some of your points here, but you seem to have created an ideal scenario for the buyer here.
The problem is, it likely isn’t. There’s a very good chance there’s going to be multiple buyers for a Nashville Center, all with varying degrees of interest.
Sure, several teams will low-ball. But why? Probably because it’s not THAT imperative to get the player in question.
But there’s going to be teams that will offer 80 or 90 cents on the dollar? Why? Because it matters more to them to get the player they need, rather than to make sure they completely screw over Nashville to the point of pain in a trade.

I really don’t think a team like Columbus or Montreal is going to overly concern themselves with paying pennies on the dollar if they really need the player. Slight discount? Sure. I agree.

Major discount? Doubtful. Too many teams need and want Center depth and upgrades.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Except they'd have three months to work out trades, to reduce their cap hit. Sooner or later, you will find someone to do a decent trade with, even though you are dealing from a position of weakness. If it's last minute, you would certainly have a point.
One problem is that there will probably be quite a few teams in on JT at the same time. Nashville probably can't play the what if game for too long as he probably will have equal or better offers from a monetary standpoint. Thus, Nashville would have to have a bunch of pieces in play before making that offer. If they sign JT and are way over the cap, then they are definitely in a position of weakness. If they are trying to trade a player or two at the same time while signing JT, they may have to take lower value for those players than they would straight up because time is of the essence. Could some team pay market value? Absolutely, if the need arises and it makes sense to them, but it is a risky proposition for Nashville to hope all the cards fall right. Then again, this is Poile and everything he does comes up in his favor, so I fully expect people to pay above market price and JT sign for $6M at 7 years just because he likes country music or something like that.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
One problem is that there will probably be quite a few teams in on JT at the same time. Nashville probably can't play the what if game for too long as he probably will have equal or better offers from a monetary standpoint. Thus, Nashville would have to have a bunch of pieces in play before making that offer. If they sign JT and are way over the cap, then they are definitely in a position of weakness. If they are trying to trade a player or two at the same time while signing JT, they may have to take lower value for those players than they would straight up because time is of the essence. Could some team pay market value? Absolutely, if the need arises and it makes sense to them, but it is a risky proposition for Nashville to hope all the cards fall right. Then again, this is Poile and everything he does comes up in his favor, so I fully expect people to pay above market price and JT sign for $6M at 7 years just because he likes country music or something like that.

Nashville has THREE UFA's. Fisher, Hartnell and Emelin. They have 19 of their roster spots signed already. They are at $67 million in cap, with the cap set to go up to $80-82 million this season. You can be 10% over during the summer, but have to be compliant by Day one of the season. So... they have about $88 million in theoretical cap space during the summer.... If they are at $67 million on July 1st... they aren't signing JT for $21 million... there is plenty of cap space. They are fine.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN

They have $5 million coming off the books in Fisher, Hartnell and Emelin. Everyone else on the roster is signed for next year except for Saros, Hartman and Salomaki, RFA's. None should get monster raises. Not sure how far under the cap they are for next year but if the cap goes up a few million and there are no significant raises, that's $7-8 million available off the bat. If they can find a suitor for Bonino, that's $11-12 million. Now depending on how bad JT wants to win versus make money, he could sign for $8 million and leave some wiggle room for Nashville. They wouldn't have to move Bonino. You'd have depth up the middle for days.

I'm not saying Nashville should do this but that is certainly enticing as a fan. The big thing is going to be having enough money to start paying guys who's contracts are up in a few years, most notably Ryan Ellis after next season. So is it worth it to go after JT if you have the possibility of breaking up the big 4. If these guys aren't all money hungry, I think there would be enough to go around if Poile was smart and creative.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
If i am Stan Bowman i am working hard to dump Toews (someone would take him) and am giving Tavares the same contract.

Get to play with Kane, Keith

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
Then again, this is Poile and everything he does comes up in his favor, so I fully expect people to pay above market price and JT sign for $6M at 7 years just because he likes country music or something like that.

If I remember correctly his interview from the All Star weekend in Nashville, he does :laugh:

You aren't getting Tavares for $10.5... you will be outbid.

Oh, and since when is Tavares going to the highest bidder? Because if that's the case we should all finish talking, because he's going to Montreal.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Johnsson-Tavares-Kapanen
Marleau-Kadri-Marner

God Damn...

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
If I remember correctly his interview from the All Star weekend in Nashville, he does :laugh:

Oh, and since when is Tavares going to the highest bidder? Because if that's the case we should all finish talking, because he's going to Montreal.

I didn't claim he would go to the highest bidder... but I doubt that number is $10.5 He'll get $11-12, from teams more competitive than Chicago. And the thought that someone is going to just take Toews on, and his $10.5, without keeping any salary, is a bit of a fantasy. He's trending towards a 50 point C, which is a good solid 2C, with intangibles. That's worth about half of what he's paid. You are going to need to package him up with something very attractive to move that contract, or take salary back... it's just not doable for Chicago.

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
I didn't claim he would go to the highest bidder... but I doubt that number is $10.5 He'll get $11-12, from teams more competitive than Chicago. And the thought that someone is going to just take Toews on, and his $10.5, without keeping any salary, is a bit of a fantasy. He's trending towards a 50 point C, which is a good solid 2C, with intangibles. That's worth about half of what he's paid. You are going to need to package him up with something very attractive to move that contract, or take salary back... it's just not doable for Chicago.

Oh, in no way I'm saying he's going to Chicago. But that said, I can see him taking $10 or even below that if he thinks that the team is a good fit, they have legit chance to get far into playoffs and the city is a nice place to live and raise family.

Reactions: Rockmorton

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Oh, in no way I'm saying he's going to Chicago. But that said, I can see him taking $10 or even below that if he thinks that the team is a good fit, they have legit chance to get far into playoffs and the city is a nice place to live and raise family.

I'm a Toronto fan, and what you describe, isn't far from Toronto. His wife is from Oshawa, a city within 20 minutes of Toronto, his family is from the area, and with him on the roster at $10m, it's hard to come up with a team as solid up front. That being said, as a Toronto fan, I think we'd be further ahead spending the money on D.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Very interesting quote from Tavares following the last game:

“I’m not looking at this as my last game,” he said. “I never said I’m expecting to leave or looking to leave. I’ve always wanted it to work out.”

Perhaps I'm reading too far into the quote, but that last sentence seems eerily reflective in the sense that it isn't currently working out.

It seems as if the Islanders are committed to the status quo with the front office and the coaching staff... outside of the sentimental value, I'm really not sure what the pull is for Tavares to stay with NYI.

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
I'm a Toronto fan, and what you describe, isn't far from Toronto. His wife is from Oshawa, a city within 20 minutes of Toronto, his family is from the area, and with him on the roster at $10m, it's hard to come up with a team as solid up front. That being said, as a Toronto fan, I think we'd be further ahead spending the money on D.

As an Isles and hockey fan, I will lose all respect I have for Tavares if he signs with either Rangers or Toronto. Wherever else he wants to go (or stay), I'll support him fully, but not here. You seem like a very nice person and all, so no offence, but TML fanbase is making all of our lives hell here at the moment. And when I, someone born and raised (partially) on Long Island say that I probably hate Toronto more than Rangers right now, it's a big thing. So I really hope he doesn't go there.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
As an Isles and hockey fan, I will lose all respect I have for Tavares if he signs with either Rangers or Toronto. Wherever else he wants to go (or stay), I'll support him fully, but not here. You seem like a very nice person and all, so no offence, but TML fanbase is making all of our lives hell here at the moment. And when I, someone born and raised (partially) on Long Island say that I probably hate Toronto more than Rangers right now, it's a big thing. So I really hope he doesn't go there.

When you have a fan base as big as Toronto's, that is as passionate, you have are going to have a bunch of people who are idiots. All of our fanbases do, but with such numbers, you end up with more idiots by absolute numbers, if not by percentage. Keep in mind, that the Leafs have taken a lot of harsh criticism, for a long time... some deserved, but many people have hated the Leafs, and their players, just because they are the Leafs... for a long time. So, some of these people are going to give back. It's a shame, but it is what it is. Good Luck with whatever happens in the Island, loved watching that team with Bossy, Trots, Potvin etc...

Reactions: Riseonfire
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad