Speculation: Where does Tavares end up??

Where does Tavares end up??

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Canucks are said to be chasing a big name free agent. They need a center. They need offensive production. They want limited term.

They need a guy that can set up Boeser or get Eriksson going. They need an offensive defenseman. They need gritty role players. These are known goals (using the 2017 opening day model) that would coincide with the acquisition of a star forward. Sedins have left and Canucks have vacancies and money to spend.

It is possible that emeritus Canucks will bring a new dimension to the brain trust. I mention this because managerial cognizance is an element any player would consider.

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
If he wants to stay in the New York area, the Devils are his best bet for cashing in and playing for an upward-trending team.

However, I do have a hard time seeing him sign in the same division as the team he's spurning.

Honestly don't want Devils paying money it would take for this player. Would rather see them overspend a bit and land Carlson and add another scorer.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
It's not lol. They'd struggle to make the playoffs like NYI did this season

Exactly, Tavares isn't taking a bottom of the barrel roster and turning it into a playoff team by himself.

If Tavares is leaving the Islanders he will most likely go to a cup contender. Why would he go to a team with a shaky roster? He's been on one for his entire career, if he's leaving NY, where he is the face of he franchise, comfortable, and the captain it will be to chase a cup and get the contract he wants.

I could see a number of teams that fit that description. Nashville, St. Louis, San Jose, Toronto, Boston, Columbus, Minnesota, Vegas, and LA would all fit that description.

What could these bottom barrel teams offer that the Islanders or a contender can't? It's just a pipe dream.

MeowLeafs

LM is awesome
Oct 20, 2008
Baconland
If Montreal got Tavares, I don't think they'd be a cup contender, but I do think they’d be a playoff team.
#1 C: check
#1 D: check
#1 G: check

Reactions: Dzonna

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Sharks make the most sense. Lots of prime aged players poised to make a run. Let Thornton walk and they can easily do it.

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
Exactly, Tavares isn't taking a bottom of the barrel roster and turning it into a playoff team by himself.

If Tavares is leaving the Islanders he will most likely go to a cup contender. Why would he go to a team with a shaky roster? He's been on one for his entire career, if he's leaving NY, where he is the face of he franchise, comfortable, and the captain it will be to chase a cup and get the contract he wants.

I could see a number of teams that fit that description. Nashville, St. Louis, San Jose, Toronto, Boston, Columbus, Minnesota, Vegas, and LA would all fit that description.

What could these bottom barrel teams offer that the Islanders or a contender can't? It's just a pipe dream.

Isnt he getting $9M+ though? who can afford him?

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Canucks are said to be chasing a big name free agent. They need a center. They need offensive production. They want limited term.

They need a guy that can set up Boeser or get Eriksson going. They need an offensive defenseman. They need gritty role players. These are known goals (using the 2017 opening day model) that would coincide with the acquisition of a star forward. Sedins have left and Canucks have vacancies and money to spend.

It is possible that emeritus Canucks will bring a new dimension to the brain trust. I mention this because managerial cognizance is an element any player would consider.
It's it pretty much a lock they canucks are said to be chasing Carlson? You say yourself they need an offensive defenseman...

Not saying Vancouver couldn't use JT, but they Horvat and Sutter as "proven" centers with guys like Gaudette and Pettersson on the way. Seems logical that they would be looking to improve on the defensive side moreso than throw money at Tavares. Just don't see Vancouver as really in the running for Tavares, although I've heard it's a very desirable city to live in.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Toronto has a number 1 centre, a massive amount of money needing to be paid to their 3 young guns and and obvious weakness on defence. Zero chance Toronto outbids Montreal. We can legitimately offer Tavares 13 million and be competitive. We have that much space with Gallagher at 3.7, chucky, 4.9, pacioretty 4.5, and drouin 5.5. Some severely underpaid talent there

And also a pick that can fill that top LD problem with a guy like Hughes or a winger to replace pacioretty if we trade him for a LD.

Pacioretty- Tavares -Gallagher
Galchenyuk- Drouin - Scherbak
Lehkonen - Danault - Byron
Hudon - Shaw - Deslauries

Hughes - Weber
Mete - Petry
Alzner - Juulsen

Carey ****ing Price

If that’s not a contender in a healthy season nothing is.
If the Habs still had Radulov, then.....
That’s one hell of a top line.
Then put Galchenyuk back at C between Drouin and Gallagher and you have a fast skilled 2nd line.
Move Shaw back to RW on the 3rd with Lehkonen- Danault
And your 4th.... well the Habs have lots of bottom guys.

Pacioretty- Tavares- Radulov
Drouin- Galchenyuk- Gallagher
Lehkonen- Danault- Shaw

Last edited:

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I’m not Tavares, but if I were, I wouldn’t even consider going to a team that wouldn’t immediately be a contender by adding me. That means a team that already has a established #1D and #2D, an established #1G, top-6 wingers, a good #2C, and quality depth. How many teams like that can afford him? SJ, St. Louis? Who else?

Reactions: Shwabeal

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Toronto has a number 1 centre, a massive amount of money needing to be paid to their 3 young guns and and obvious weakness on defence. Zero chance Toronto outbids Montreal. We can legitimately offer Tavares 13 million and be competitive. We have that much space with Gallagher at 3.7, chucky, 4.9, pacioretty 4.5, and drouin 5.5. Some severely underpaid talent there

And also a pick that can fill that top LD problem with a guy like Hughes or a winger to replace pacioretty if we trade him for a LD.

Pacioretty- Tavares -Gallagher
Galchenyuk- Drouin - Scherbak
Lehkonen - Danault - Byron
Hudon - Shaw - Deslauries

Hughes - Weber
Mete - Petry
Alzner - Juulsen

Carey ****ing Price

If that’s not a contender in a healthy season nothing is.

Currently there aren't many teams in worse shape than Montreal.

The u25 group/prospect pool is just abysmal for a team where they finished.

Weber+Price are +30 and on heavy contracts, paying 30M for 3 players with garbage prospect pool doesn't scream contender, more like cap hell/poor depth.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I’m not Tavares, but if I were, I wouldn’t even consider going to a team that wouldn’t immediately be a contender by adding me. That means a team that already has a established #1D and #2D, an established #1G, top-6 wingers, a good #2C, and quality depth. How many teams like that can afford him? SJ, St. Louis? Who else?

It depends on how specific and particular you'd like to be on those requirements but I can see Nashville, Colorado, maybe New Jersey by your standards, Vegas, Winnipeg, Columbus, and Anaheim that could qualify.

Reactions: Shwabeal

webersshot

Jul 6, 2016
Nova Scotia
Currently there aren't many teams in worse shape than Montreal.

The u25 group/prospect pool is just abysmal for a team where they finished.

Weber+Price are +30 and on heavy contracts, paying 30M for 3 players with garbage prospect pool doesn't scream contender, more like cap hell/poor depth.

But they have a top 5 pick and 4 2nd's....as well as Ryan Poehling who looks to have 2nd line centre potential and Jake Evans who just tore up the NCAA

Also did you know Montreals actually one of the youngest teams in the league with Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Drouin, Lehkonen, Hudon, Mete, Juulsen and Scherbak all under 25 (Gallagher is 25)

If the caliber of those 3 players are pillars of team canada's olympic team, and you have 3 30 goal scorers, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Pacioretty making a combined 12 million than no you're not in cap hell.

And if Paul byron and Andrew shaw play on in your bottom six and can score 20 goals then no you don't have poor depth.

What you have is a team that started the season deflated, with the loss of important pieces to last years team and nothing to address the centre ice position combined with a man games lost number in top end of the league and to some of the most crucial players of your team.

If you haven't learned what a parity league this is by now and how quickly a single player or a healthy season can turn things around for you then i don't really know what us to say to you. you just seem like a hater to me...

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
But they have a top 5 pick and 4 2nd's....as well as Ryan Poehling who looks to have 2nd line centre potential and Jake Evans who just tore up the NCAA

Also did you know Montreals actually one of the youngest teams in the league with Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Drouin, Lehkonen, Hudon, Mete, Juulsen and Scherbak all under 25 (Gallagher is 25
)

If the caliber of those 3 players are pillars of team canada's olympic team, and you have 3 30 goal scorers, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Pacioretty making a combined 12 million than no you're not in cap hell.

And if Paul byron and Andrew shaw play on in your bottom six and can score 20 goals then no you don't have poor depth.

What you have is a team that started the season deflated, with the loss of important pieces to last years team and nothing to address the centre ice position combined with a man games lost number in top end of the league and to some of the most crucial players of your team.

If you haven't learned what a parity league this is by now and how quickly a single player or a healthy season can turn things around for you then i don't really know what us to say to you. you just seem like a hater to me...

I don't care their age because they aren't nothing special.
You have 0 elite prospects, 0 franchise u25 players on the roster& you have the worst C group in the entire league.
The 2 guys that have been expected to carry the team are +30 and have both gone through longterm injuries this year, their peaks forms could be in the past. Pac has 1 more year left.

Your management has been a mess, Bergevin has destroyed the team yet I'm supposed to believe he'll fix it in 1 offseason?

webersshot

Jul 6, 2016
Nova Scotia
You have 0 elite prospects, 0 franchise u25 players on the roster& you have the worst C group in the entire league.
The 2 guys that have been expected to carry the team are +30 and have both gone through longterm injuries this year, their peaks forms could be in the past. Pac has 1 more year left.

Your management has been a mess, Bergevin has destroyed the team yet I'm supposed to believe he'll fix it in 1 offseason?

I don’t feel like it’s really your intention to make any point other than to profess your hatred for the Montreal Canadiens lol. I think I’m kinda just wasting my time here....

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario

Okay so just to be clear the players listed whom you are saying are nothing special include

Galchenyuk- scored 30 goals and is just etnering his prime ( he is 24)
Gallagher -in his prime (just scored 30 goals, and before he broke his hand twice was on Pace for 30 goals at 23)
Drouin- once touted as a potentially elite player,who put up 50pt pace playing out of position at 22. I'm
Scherbak- has put up similar numbers to kapanen in the Ahl.
Lehkonen- had 18 goals in his rookie season.
Juulsen- has been looking like a solid second pairing d at the age of 20.
Victor Mete - is projecting to be a second pairing guy.
Ryan Poehling - big physical C almost a ppg in the NCAA in his d+1 season. Our future ain't that dark.
Jake evans - has put up better numbers in the NCAA than bozak whilst being relied on defensively.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Would guess the major candidates are St. Louis, NJ, and San Jose.

I think there’s a good chance he could go to Colorado, though, if Sakic has interest. He has boatloads of cap space, and they should be looking to take a step forward.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I don’t feel like it’s really your intention to make any point other than to profess your hatred for the Montreal Canadiens lol. I think I’m kinda just wasting my time here....

Please go ahead and study Tampa/Boston/Toronto just from the same division, they are on a whole different level.
In franchise talent, elite talent, quality depth both on the roster and u25 groups, not to mention the management.

Okay so just to be clear the players listed whom you are saying are nothing special include

Gallagher -in his prime (just scored 30 goals, and before he broke his hand twice was on Pace for 30 goals at 23)
Drouin- once touted as a potentially elite player,who put up 50pt pace playing out of position at 22. I'm
Ryan Poehling - big physical C almost a ppg in the NCAA in his d+1 season. Our future ain't that dark.
Jake evans - has put up better numbers in the NCAA than bozak whilst being relied on defensively.

Same thing here, see above.

webersshot

Jul 6, 2016
Nova Scotia

He’s not really sharpest tool in the shed. Lol. Don’t bother

Reactions: KawaYui
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad