Where does Panarin rank among left wingers?

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Forsberg has like, the 3rd or 4th most 5v5 goals in the NHL since his rookie year. :laugh:

And he plays tougher deployment than Panarin.

People putting him behind Panarin are genuinely nutty.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Forsberg has like, the 3rd or 4th most 5v5 goals in the NHL since his rookie year. :laugh:

And he plays tougher deployment than Panarin.

People putting him behind Panarin are genuinely nutty.

every player has a role, Panarin is an offensive threat used a lot on PP and who produces in that role quite soundly..

Having more 5v5 goals does not make a player better, that's for sure.

Besides..

Forsberg has 69 5v5 goals in 264 games making it 0.26 GPG

Panarin has 44 5v5 goals in 162 games for 0.27 GPG

Last edited:

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
I would say he is the best or at least top 3 offensive LW in the game today. Because there is more to the game than offense his rating slips a bit. Still top 10 overall and top 3 offense only. I don't think anyone would be against that :dunno:

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
Forsberg getting over rated due to playoff success.

He is not an elite point producer. His PPG wasnt even in the top 10 for LW.

Panarin is hard to judge cause he plays with Kane. Name any top line LW and imagine him with Kane. Panarin has never had to stir the drink.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006

Panarin is hard to judge cause he plays with Kane. Name any top line LW and imagine him with Kane. Panarin has never had to stir the drink.

The last three seasons he's 27th in points for all forwards, 6th for LW's.

Seems like an odd conclusion.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area

Check the world championships top scorers. He's 2 PPG

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Benn has Seguin, Ovi has Backstrom, Marchand has Bergeron, and so on. Hard to only use that argument against Panarin.

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
every player has a role, Panarin is an offensive threat used a lot on PP and who produces in that role quite soundly..

Having more 5v5 goals does not make a player better, that's for sure.

Besides..

Forsberg has 69 5v5 goals in 264 games making it 0.26 GPG

Panarin has 44 5v5 goals in 162 games for 0.27 GPG

Theres a difference in between being used as an offensive threat and the coach having no faith to start him in the defensive zone

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Panarin's not very good defensively. He needs to be protected. He is soft and undisciplined. Still a dangerous dangler.

He is Kane-lite.

There are more complete players I'd rank ahead of him. Stop staring at points, please.

Panarin is maybe around 5th to 8th among left wingers currently.

He will also possibly outscore all other left wingers next season, but it doesn't make the holes in his game disappear.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Panarin's not very good defensively. He needs to be protected. He is soft and undisciplined. Still a dangerous dangler.

He is Kane-lite.

There are more complete players I'd rank ahead of him. Stop staring at points, please.

Panarin is maybe around 5th to 8th among left wingers currently.

He will also possibly outscore all other left wingers next season, but it doesn't make the holes in his game disappear.
Does that mean you rank Kane as 5-8 best right wing ? Because it's exactly the same situation with him.

Interesting fact : Panarin outscored Kane at 24-25 years old

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Top-5 for me. No order:

Benn
Marchand
Panarin
Ovechkin
Hall

H/M - Forsberg, Gaudreau

Really don't think people grasp how good Panarin is, and yes he would be just as good without Kane.

VoynovsParoleOfficer

Jun 13, 2015
Does that mean you rank Kane as 5-8 best right wing ? Because it's exactly the same situation with him.

no kane is the #1 RW in the league....only a handful of guys give team mates 100 percent free goals with their play making ability and even fewer of those handful of player are wingers... Kane is at the very top of that list with mcdavid, not comparable to Panarin at all

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
Over last three seasons I have it as (slighlty weighed towards recent seasons):
1. Marchand
2. Benn
3. Ovechkin
4. Panarin
5. Pacioretty
6. Gaudreau
7. Forsberg
8. Hoffman
9. Huberdeau
10. Hall

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
no kane is the #1 RW in the league....only a handful of guys give team mates 100 percent free goals with their play making ability and even fewer of those handful of player are wingers... Kane is at the very top of that list with mcdavid, not comparable to Panarin at all

What makes you think that Panarin is not just as good of a playmaker ? He just won the scoring race at the WHC racking the most assists

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
Check the world championships top scorers. He's 2 PPG

I'd have Panarin in my top 5 for sure.

But the WC is largely irrelevant. A top NHLer managed to produce big numbers vs substandard competition? You don't say..... :sarcasm:

VoynovsParoleOfficer

Jun 13, 2015
What makes you think that Panarin is not just as good of a playmaker ? He just won the scoring race at the WHC racking the most assists

what he did in WHC was impressive for sure but ill keep it NHL specific bc Kane didnt participate....kane has 20 more primary assists than Panarin in the 2 seasons Panarin has been overseas, a fairly large differential for players who are almost always on the ice together...also has 180 more shots taken in those 2 seasons which factors largely into play making

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
what he did in WHC was impressive for sure but ill keep it NHL specific bc Kane didnt participate....kane has 20 more primary assists than Panarin in the 2 seasons Panarin has been overseas, a fairly large differential for players who are almost always on the ice together...also has 180 more shots taken in those 2 seasons which factors largely into play making
He's also older, more experienced and gets more ice time.

Panarin outscored Kane at 24-25.

VoynovsParoleOfficer

Jun 13, 2015
He's also older, more experienced and gets more ice time.

Panarin outscored Kane at 24-25.

alright, but yet Kane had 88 points at the age of 22 and 72 points as a 19 year old rookie.. you cant just pick Kane's worst year and use it as a basis

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014

Kane is better offensively than Panarin, so the comparison is slightly off. It's not "exactly the same", but yeah, it does apply to him. Kane is not a complete hockey player.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
I'd have Panarin in my top 5 for sure.

But the WC is largely irrelevant. A top NHLer managed to produce big numbers vs substandard competition? You don't say..... :sarcasm:
Thank you...finally someone said it. He kept brining up the WHC point totals as if they should mean something. While 17 in 9(not quite 2 ppg :sarcasm:) is very impressive we need to look at the context of it. 11 of the 17 pts came against Italy, Germany, and Latvia. So of the other 5 games he played(didn't play against Slovakia I believe it was) he had 6 pts. Over a PPG is impressive but not top LW in the NHL worthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad