Where does Panarin rank among left wingers?

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
He finished second in points behind Marchand, safe to say he's currently second best LW in the NHL or there's more to it?

Um certainly not safe to say... I mean I think almost everyone would still put Benn ahead of him, identical point per game pace this year, significantly outscored Panarin the season prior, more complete player, best player on his team and furthermore the best player on his line. Which is no insult, but yes certainly there is more to it then the most recent single season point total, as there almost always is.

As a side not I'm sure I will already have been beaten to this point, which sort of proves the point.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Lol, he is not the 2nd best left-winger in the NHL, no.

He's very good though.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Who are the better ones ?

Jamie Benn? Who has placed 1,2 in NHL scoring the previous 2 years and averages 81 points/season over the past 4, yeah that doesn't get erased by 1 year where Panarin outscores him by 5 points in 5 more games..

halcyon

Jun 23, 2015
Sort of unrelated but I'll just ask this here: has the Panarin is only good because he plays with Kane narrative died out now or is that still a thing?

He had 17 points in 9 games and won Best Forward at the WC playing without Kane.

Kane still had a very good season this year but he didn't duplicate his out-of-this-world performance that he had last season, and yet Panarin still scored roughly the same amount of points as he did before.

halcyon

Jun 23, 2015
Benn
Ovi
Marchand
Sadd
Forsberg
Ehlers

Ovi is living off his reputation right now. He is not actually a better player than Panarin at this point in time.

53 points Saad is not better than 74 points Panarin.

Forsberg is very debatable and probably being propped up by recency bias due to Nashville's playoff run.

Lmao at Ehlers.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Ovi is living off his reputation right now. He is not actually a better player than Panarin at this point in time.

Forsberg is very debatable and probably being propped up by recency bias due to Nashville's playoff run.

Lmao at Ehlers.

Saad isn't sheltered as hard as Panarin and gets a larger percentage of his points 5v5. Also far better over 200ft. Im not sure if he's better, but he's certainly at least on par with Panarin.

Forsberg is 100% iron-lock better than Panarin. I cant believe thats even a debate.

Benn certainly is.

I might be crazy, not actually sure Ovechkin is still better than Panarin.

Ehlers isn't as good, at least not yet.

Tifosi

Feb 6, 2006

Lmao at Ehlers.

I'll take Sadd over Panarin anyday, especially in the playoffs. Forsberg doesn't have Kane, Ehler is just as good and is going to get better.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Who are the better ones ?

Jamie Benn
Brad Marchand
Filip Forsberg
Max Pacioretty
Taylor Hall

Roughly on par:

Johnny Gaudreu
Brandon Saad
Ondrej Palat

Not quite as good, but in the same conversation:

Ehlers
Schwartz
Skinner
Ovechkin (right now, anyway)

All, obviously, IMO

Last edited:

VoynovsParoleOfficer

Jun 13, 2015
gaudreau certainly deserves consideration... id safely assume he would be a PPG lock if playing long term with Kaner

Benn
Marchand

besides that everything else is debatable to me. Forsberg might be the closest comparison

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Jamie Benn
Brad Marchand
Filip Forsberg
Max Pacioretty
Taylor Hall

Roughly on par:

Johnny Gaudreu
Brandon Saad
Ondrej Palat

Not quite as good, but in the same conversation:

Ehlers
Schwartz
Skinner
Ovechkin (right now, anyway)

All, obviously, IMO

Are you guys for real ?

Panarin has been around top 10 in scoring both seasons he was in the league including his rookie season.

And for those that say he's only good because of Kane, he just won the best forward award at the WHC.

He's easily top 3.

Mike Hasselhoffman

Bell Centre Baywatch
Sep 17, 2011
1. Benn
2. Marchand
3. Panarin
4. Forsberg
5. Gaudreau
6. Pacioretty
7. Hall
8. Ovechkin