Where does Malkin Actually Rank?

eddiefromirwin

Apr 15, 2017
I could see it playing out in the next 5 years with several more Cups, followed by retirements by Letang and Sid from injury, to some lean years. Geno gets traded to the Rangers, takes the "C" and wins them a Cup, a la MM. Then he is a 5-10 type of player.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
What has hurt Malkin the most and one of the reasons he is below Crosby is because of missed time during the years. He actually only has 4 seasons where he played a full year or close to it. His first three years and then 2012. Since 2012 he's always missed 20 or so games per year but still has put up points on a per game basis. No accident that those are the Art Ross years and where he has been a 1st team all-star three times. Even this year, he was toe to toe with Crosby points wise before going down to injury.

So while that has been his setback the truth is he has more than made up for this in the postseason. There is barely any difference between him and Sid when you just isolate the playoffs. Crosby might have the better all around game but Malkin just like Crosby has the huge Cup runs and he's been there just as much. Already a playoff legend and he is only 30.

I've often said that I think if I were starting a team I'd want him over Ovechkin. Let's pretend the phony Top 100 list never existed because not having him on there was a joke. He's comfortably in the top 50 already and when all is said and done he's no worse than the Yzerman/Sakic crew.

Mr Spock

May 23, 2006
Västerås in Sweden
Well he's at least on par with Sid, however Tsn is more dangerous than Putins statemedia. Tsn and their bias media hypemachine followers boosts him right now while and nuking/ignoring the rest. Crosby is of course a very great player, but the political award crap should be left out when compairing players.

yuri28

Jan 16, 2012
Where does Malkin actually rank? Obviously the top 100 was a joke. If were talking about all time players he has a very similar trophy case to Crosby. If Sid is being talked about in the top 10 now I think Malkin cant be to far behind.

Where do you guys put him?

2x art ross
Hart
Calder
Lindsey
3 cups
Conn Smythe

Edit: added awards for reference

Top 25 at least for me.

yuri28

Jan 16, 2012
Malkin is already ahead of those guys in my book and likely has at least another 6 seasons to play.

He'll break the top 20 and flirt with top 10.

I still have hard time to rank him ahead of Forsberg or Sakic, especially Forsberg who for me was one of the best players of all time all things considered.

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
Well he's at least on par with Sid, however Tsn is more dangerous than Putins statemedia. Tsn and their bias media hypemachine followers boosts him right now while and nuking/ignoring the rest. Crosby is of course a very great player, but the political award crap should be left out when compairing players.

What the hell? :laugh:

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
For current active players:

1. Toews 2. Putin 3. Kane 4. Seabrook 5. Crosby 6. Olvie 7. Malkin

For all time:

101: Kunitz 102: Malkin

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
Malkin's accomplishments remain below that of Crosby's because he's not finishing top-5 in major award voting/scoring categories outside of the years he's been an award finalist. Crosby, despite his concussion woes, has been more consistently elite across his career.

Hart
Crosby - 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 3, 5
Malkin - 1, 2, 2

Conn Smythe
Crosby - 1, 1, 2
Malkin - 1, 2

Art Ross
Crosby - 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 3
Malkin - 1, 1, 2

* I assume Crosby will finish 2nd in Hart voting this season. I also assume Crosby and Malkin finished second in Conn Smythe voting in 2009 and 2017, respectively (My Malkin assumption was just confirmed by the PHWA).

I'd still have him in a top-50 spot because of his peak years and great playoff numbers.

why are you comparing him to crosby? compare him to other players with already finished careers.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
20 to 30 sounds about right if he stopped playing right now, still has a chance to move up IMO, when he is on, it is a magical thing to witness, just wish he would be more consistent. Granted his lows are still pretty darn good but his highs are better than anyone in hockey IMO

Cletus Marley

Feb 11, 2007
Cirith Ungol
20 to 30 sounds about right if he stopped playing right now, still has a chance to move up IMO, when he is on, it is a magical thing to witness, just wish he would be more consistent. Granted his lows are still pretty darn good but his highs are better than anyone in hockey IMO

This. I think he is the best player in the game when he is on. Dude is a beast when he isn't invisible.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
There was a point this year where if he had 2 of Pittsburgh's top 4 wingers he could have run away with the scoring race. It almost seemed like Sully was determined to keep both he and Sid from doing that by spreading the top wingers down through the top 3 lines. He then got injured so maybe no one remembers that point. Also add that the last couple years his defensive game is getting much better, D zone starts or not.

I have him top 50 now and trending top 25...could go higher.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad