Where does Malkin Actually Rank?

captain cubicle

Jul 27, 2011
Where does Malkin actually rank? Obviously the top 100 was a joke. If were talking about all time players he has a very similar trophy case to Crosby. If Sid is being talked about in the top 10 now I think Malkin cant be to far behind.

Where do you guys put him?

2x art ross
Hart
Calder
Lindsey
3 cups
Conn Smythe

Edit: added awards for reference

Last edited:

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
He's in the Sakic/Forsberg/Yzerman/Fedorov tier, may surpass them all by the time his career is over. Right now I'd say top 50ish.

Shoofyou10

Apr 30, 2009
The Burgh
Malkin's PPG is top 15 all time I believe and this is in an era where scoring is way down compared to others. Plus 3 cups, Conn Smyth, Hart. I'd put him around 25 or 30 right now

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
He's in the Sakic/Forsberg/Yzerman/Fedorov tier, may surpass them all by the time his career is over. Right now I'd say top 50ish.

That's a pretty fair assessment. Like them, he was one of the best of his generation, and like them, when he was 'on' he was absolutely the best.

The OP said it best... the 100 list was a joke. This guys individual awards and 3 Stanley Cups and he's not on that list? It simply invalidates the entire list.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
He's above Sakic and Yzerman in my opinion. There's a level in between Toews/Stamkos, Sakic/Yzerman and Malkin/Crosby. Comparing generation to generation is hard.

I'd put Malkin top 15ish

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Where does Malkin actually rank? Obviously the top 100 was a joke. If were talking about all time players he has a very similar trophy case to Crosby. If Sid is being talked about in the top 10 now I think Malkin cant be to far behind.

Where do you guys put him?

Malkin's accomplishments remain below that of Crosby's because he's not finishing top-5 in major award voting/scoring categories outside of the years he's been an award finalist. Crosby, despite his concussion woes, has been more consistently elite across his career.

Hart
Crosby - 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 3, 5
Malkin - 1, 2, 2

Conn Smythe
Crosby - 1, 1, 2
Malkin - 1, 2

Art Ross
Crosby - 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 3
Malkin - 1, 1, 2

* I assume Crosby will finish 2nd in Hart voting this season. I also assume Crosby and Malkin finished second in Conn Smythe voting in 2009 and 2017, respectively (My Malkin assumption was just confirmed by the PHWA).

I'd still have him in a top-50 spot because of his peak years and great playoff numbers.

Last edited:

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013

Malkin is already ahead of those guys in my book and likely has at least another 6 seasons to play.

He'll break the top 20 and flirt with top 10.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Malkin is without a doubt top 20 and the sad thing is if he was on another team he would of been compared to Crosby and OV over the years as the best player in the game over those years. Malkin does not get his due but if he plays long enough he could go down as the best Russian of all time and one of the top 10 players all time.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Malkin is without a doubt top 20 and the sad thing is if he was on another team he would of been compared to Crosby and OV over the years as the best player in the game over those years. Malkin does not get his due but if he plays long enough he could go down as the best Russian of all time and one of the top 10 players all time.

Examples of forwards that are top-20/25 players are the likes of Esposito (2 Harts, 5 Art Ross, 2 Cups, 6th all-time goals, and 10th all-time points), Clarke (3 Harts, 2 Cups, & elite defensive play), Messier (2 Harts, Conn Smythe, 6 Cups, 8th all-time goals, and 3rd all-time points) level of player. Malkin remains below that tier, and we'll see what happens across the rest of his career; however, top-20 is achievable if he can snag another Hart, Art Ross, or Conn Smythe and keep scoring at the same pace. I think top-10/15 level of players like Morenz, Mikita, and Lafleur will be difficult to overcome, and that's not a slight to Malkin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad