OT: Where do you think the Sharks will be in 3 years?

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I hope the Sharks fire Wilson, T-Mac, and Thornton and Marleau are gone. You would then have Nieto and Hertl as the veterans of the team (That is a scary thought though), maybe Pavelski on the downside of his career, and one of the guys the Sharks just drafted becoming the new Tomas Hertl. Also, in 3 years the Sharks still won't be a playoff team, but they will be really close.

Basically in the next three years, I hope the Sharks cut the fat, move onto a new era of Sharks Hockey, and lose the choker reputation.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Does anybody know if Warriors new arena in SF will be suitable for hockey?

The problem is that it wouldn't matter with regards to the Sharks. If they actually felt the desire to move, it would be out of here to break the TV contract. Moving to SF or Oakland, both of which I think are suitable for hockey, would not get them out of the market for TV contract purposes. Sacramento could depending on the terms since they can be technically considered a different market in some sense.

The only places I could ever see the Sharks team moving due to that kind of circumstance would be either Seattle or Kansas City. But it's a very, very slim chance of happening. The TV deal will get restructured eventually.

richo

Mar 14, 2011
Bay Area
As long as Thornton is here it will be the same discussion. If we just had that missing defenseman or that dominant goalie or someone who could score that big goal. While solving all of these problems would get the team closer, this still would not get the Sharks to the promised land. The only solution is to unload Thornton.

Linkster

Beard goggles!
Nov 11, 2010
Coastal Sharkifornia
Does anybody know if Warriors new arena in SF will be suitable for hockey?

The problem is that it wouldn't matter with regards to the Sharks. If they actually felt the desire to move, it would be out of here to break the TV contract. Moving to SF or Oakland, both of which I think are suitable for hockey, would not get them out of the market for TV contract purposes. Sacramento could depending on the terms since they can be technically considered a different market in some sense.

The only places I could ever see the Sharks team moving due to that kind of circumstance would be either Seattle or Kansas City. But it's a very, very slim chance of happening. The TV deal will get restructured eventually.

Also, the single most valuable asset in the SJS&EE portfolio is the exclusive SJ Arena management rights. It's what makes hockey operations in SFBA a viable business.

Difficult to see Plattner giving that up and sharing it with a co-tenant. It makes more sense to sell to a new owner, or... build a new arena in SJ -- which is what I think he's angling at.

bigwillie

Jul 14, 2006
Portland, OR
At this point, I really don't care. I've loved this team since the beginning, but the constant struggle that was the past decade of Sharks hockey - high expectations, crushing defeat, and now constant ridicule - has taken a bit of a toll. I'm tired of the same old song and dance, and, like most of you here, I'm ready for change mostly for the sake of change. Something different. A new face of the team, new expectations, and new excitement.

I don't want to see them suck for half a decade just for a few new shiny prospects, but at the same time, I've grown weary of seeing Thornton and Co. come up short, never quite meeting expectations. As terrible as being a bottom feeder would be, at least it's a shift from what we've been doing for the past decade.

I was born in San Jose and a lot of my family still lives there. I'm a Sharks fan because they are from my hometown, and I've always been proud of the rabid fanbase that supported the team, in the middle of California, from day one. We didn't need to attract bandwagon fans and I loved that.

But my need for change in this team has gotten so bad that, if they do move to Seattle, I can honestly say I wouldn't mind. They'd be closer to my current location than they are now. It would, again, be different. Worse? Probably. I can't imagine Seattle fans fostering an environment quite like that in the Shark Tank. They'd have left my hometown. I'd still long for the days of the original Sharks, but it would be a departure from the status quo, and sadly, that's all I'm really looking for at this point.

So I guess at the end of the day, what I'm really looking for is something different, no matter what it is. It seems like most of you feel the same way, even if different makes the team worse.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00