Speculation: Where do you think Leo Carlsson should play next season?

Where do you think Leo Carlsson should play next year?

• NHL

Votes: 35 28.5%
  • AHL

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • SHL

Votes: 61 49.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Come, Oct 14th like to see him with the Ducks for at least that 9 game stint, and circle Oct 24th on your calendar since it‘s within the 9 game cup of coffee. Two raw prospects not sure what to expect in that game. Lol.

My concern is how this team will be next season, if Verbeek is adding more support or not. We have to be better next season but still may not be the competitive atmosphere we want for the 2ndOA pick.

Not sure how the rules work, but if he signs an ELC, plays 9 games with the Ducks, can he still be loaned to the SHL? I know his ELC won’t kick in to the following year. I know they did that with Mac, but that’s the OHL.
It’s going to be a much more competitive atmosphere than last year IMO

Replacing Eakins with Cronin is a big deal - some people are sleeping on that effect. The ducks played a bad brand of hockey under Eakins and that is likely to change

To answer your question, I believe they could loan him but also think that’s pretty unlikely. I think where he starts the season is likely to be where he finishes it

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
Carlsson takes 1st steps toward future with Ducks

“Just get stronger and bigger and faster is the most important part of summer," he said.

"It was pretty hard tests as well," Carlsson said. "Eight times to skate, so it was hard for my legs, for sure."
Him being here will depend on the camp he has. Meanwhile let him go back home and work on stamina and muscle.. lot of cardio and light weights and than break into heavier weights.

Replacing Eakins with Cronin is a big deal - some people are sleeping on that effect. The ducks played a bad brand of hockey under Eakins and that is likely to change

To answer your question, I believe they could loan him but also think that’s pretty unlikely. I think where he starts the season is likely to be where he finishes it
This.. 100 times this.. just have a system that preaches defense first will get the players to learn the system better and that will turn into offense.

Reactions: Yemeth

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
Selfishly I want him in NA so I can watch him, but if they think they SHL is best for his development then that should be priority. He’s going to be the franchise cornerstone going forward, so we need to do right by him and send him where he’ll develop best.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

SHL starts before training camp. So should be interesting on Verbeek’s decision. I read comments from Cronin in regards to Zegras, and it’s exactly what is needed for Z , and can see his production only get better as he develops into a more 200 foot player.

With that said, part of me wants to see Leo here under Cronin, sooner the better, but he won’t be able to play a Top 6C role with Zegras and Mac there, so that’s a concern. Also, with the roster as well. Still think we need one more Top 4D, and an additional Top 6 forward, if we are going to have a more competitive team.

Bleak

Jul 8, 2009
Calgary, Alberta, CA
Alexander: Ducks’ No. 2 pick Leo Carlsson showing his stuff at development camp

SHL preseason starts Aug 1st. So we’ll find out soon enough. Can they keep him til training camp and nhl preseason and still be able to send him back to SHL?
Holy crap, no rest for Leo haha. Long, long, year that's going to leak into next year too. I do hope that he finds an opportunity to take a few days off completely and recoop, take the draft in, take all his training in, and refresh himself a little bit.

Since the SHL preseason does start so quickly, I doubt he is going to be in NA for much longer IF the plan is to send him back. I could see Beek and Cronin having a long-winded discussion with Leo about the plans for the future and his potential to play for the AHL / the Ducks

Reactions: Leonardo87

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

SHL preseason starts Aug 1st. So we’ll find out soon enough. Can they keep him til training camp and nhl preseason and still be able to send him back to SHL?

Since the SHL regular season starts earlier than the NHL, then Orebro would be missing their 1C/2C for a huge chunk of their off-season and start of the season. I think PV needs to address this ASAP so both organizations know where they're at. If Orebro is dead set on Carlsson playing top-6C, then it would behoove the Ducks to send him there for the SHL pre-season and stay there for the duration.

Carlsson isn't playing center with the Ducks this coming season as the custom for most recent center prospects have been to start off at wing and then progress to center.

Since the NHL is ruled out at playing center for Carlsson, then the choices are AHL and SHL. It just feels like common sense to return Carlsson to Orebro to play center. Orebro helped him develop for the past two seasons to become the #2 pick overall, why not continue to trust their development process? With our AHL coaching group, we have a new HC, but the same assistant coaches from last year. I'm not inspired with our returning assistant coaches, since they're part of the reason we finished last in the AHL and why many of our prospects didn't take a step forward in their game.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA

If it starts August 1st and the Ducks want to give him a look in training camp, are they able to have him go to pre season in SHL and then bring him back when camp starts or do they have to keep him here until they make a decision?

A break might be good for him, though, considering the summer he's had.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA

I’m actually fine with what Eakins did last year, after what Verbeek presented as a defensive corps. Sitting in the arena watching them get essentially the same record but without the exciting plays, scoring, and fighting until the end of the game would be soul crushing, vs what was about the best possible fan experience for a tank season. It’s beyond me how people dealt with being a Kings fan, super boring hockey.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
So, did Leo tip his hand at where he expects to spend next year?

From Stephens new Athletic post:

Now he’s on a new journey. He’ll be back for the Ducks rookie camp in September and the club is leaving the options for him open as to where he’ll play for 2023-24. There will be discussions among the executives, the player and his agent Matt Keator, but his play in camp will shape where all sides would like to see him develop. He is under contract with Örebro through 2024-25 but that doesn’t preclude him from inking an entry-level deal with Anaheim, where the Ducks could keep him or even send him to the AHL’s San Diego Gulls.

Regardless, what we do know is Carlsson has taken his first step toward the NHL.

“It’s a big step getting used to this American stuff as well,” Carlsson said. “The smaller ice and stuff like that. It’s going to be a fun year for sure."

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
So, did Leo tip his hand at where he expects to spend next year?

From Stephens new Athletic post:

That is one of the reasons I would like him to go pro, AHL at least, to get used to the NA ice. I don’t see an issue with SD, with a new coach and 5 prospects going pro, some of them our Top prospects. It feels like the right place for him if he is not yet ready for the NHL, which I think he is. But that’s just my opinion, from watching him in the WC.

Looking at the results here so far, it’s split down the middle, half think he should go pro, the other half back to the SHL. Interesting stuff.

Won’t be upset if he goes back to the SHL but think that is taking a step back, imho.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
That is one of the reasons I would like him to go pro, AHL at least, to get used to the NA ice. I don’t see an issue with SD, with a new coach and 5 prospects going pro, some of them our Top prospects. It feels like the right place for him if he is not yet ready for the NHL, which I think he is. But that’s just my opinion, from watching him in the WC.

Looking at the results here so far, it’s split down the middle, half think he should go pro, the other half back to the SHL. Interesting stuff.

Won’t be upset if he goes back to the SHL but think that is taking a step back, imho.
I can see the argument from both sides and I don't think there is a clear cut choice for the moment. But I might slightly lean to having him in NA for the reasons mentioned. Sure the competition in the SHL is better, but having him under team control/guidance/coaching and within 100 miles of the mothership are important intangibles that cannot be overlooked. It's not like playing in the A is some big drop off in competition.

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
For me it's a no-brainer NA.

He was was touted as being good enough to be a 1OA in other drafts. The last 1OA from the SHL was Dahlin, who immediately jumped into the NHL and put up 44 points on a pretty bad Sabres team.

Worst case he goes down to the AHL where he gets used to NA ice and acquainted with our "future coach" - a guy who has experience working with European players.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
For me it's a no-brainer NA.

He was was touted as being good enough to be a 1OA in other drafts. The last 1OA from the SHL was Dahlin, who immediately jumped into the NHL and put up 44 points on a pretty bad Sabres team.

Worst case he goes down to the AHL where he gets used to NA ice and acquainted with our "future coach" - a guy who has experience working with European players.
Not every player develops on the same curve. Where he was drafted shouldn’t matter at all. It’s about what is best for his development.

Reactions: Ducks DVM
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Not every player develops on the same curve. Where he was drafted shouldn’t matter at all. It’s about what is best for his development.
But that doesn't really move the needle in terms of this discussion because we won't know the answer until he shows up at camp, and might not know the answer for quite a while after that either. So the premise of the thread is "what's best for his development."

But DDG's point is a good one -- players like this are usually ready. It would be weird if he weren't, so that should probably the presumptive starting point until we know more.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
But that doesn't really move the needle in terms of this discussion because we won't know the answer until he shows up at camp, and might not know the answer for quite a while after that either. So the premise of the thread is "what's best for his development."

But DDG's point is a good one -- players like this are usually ready. It would be weird if he weren't, so that should probably the presumptive starting point until we know more.
It really wouldn’t be that weird. Draisaitl went back to junior in his d+1 and he is the second best player in the world. There are examples of every option Leo has.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
It really wouldn’t be that weird. Draisaitl went back to junior in his d+1 and he is the second best player in the world. There are examples of every option Leo has.
Great point. No shame in that, especially since we took Leo for his potential – so it even makes more sense to me for him to go somewhere were he can work on that the most. I don't doubt he can play already in a middle-6 role for the Ducks, but It would not move the needle for us much one or the other way, so...

I'm sure he will be fine either way, but sucks that there is this difference between SHL and NHL season openers. Since it sounds like he's staying for the camp I guess that SHL could pushed down further as an option just because he'd have to go back and get accustomed back to the Euro hockey. Just speculating, ofc.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Draisaitl's a poor comparable because he wasn't already playing (and excelling) against men prior to being drafted, and if he was a good comparable he'd prove my point because he jumped immediately to the NHL and was only sent back to Kelowna after half an NHL season when it was clear that he wasn't emotionally ready, essentially.

Even more support for Carlsson starting in the NHL.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think Lundy did that. It's definitely possible but just seems quite messy

Yeah, it can be done, but it would be a lot for the kid to do both. My gut tells me he will go pro next season, whether it's AHL or NHL not sure.

Reactions: Kalv
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Great point. No shame in that, especially since we took Leo for his potential – so it even makes more sense to me for him to go somewhere were he can work on that the most. I don't doubt he can play already in a middle-6 role for the Ducks, but It would not move the needle for us much one or the other way, so...

I'm sure he will be fine either way, but sucks that there is this difference between SHL and NHL season openers. Since it sounds like he's staying for the camp I guess that SHL could pushed down further as an option just because he'd have to go back and get accustomed back to the Euro hockey. Just speculating, ofc.
Nothing to do with shame, people are just assuming he should be sent back because they're afraid of an adverse outcome, and the only support for it is the stupid scrimmage. If you described just his accomplishments and pedigree stripped of the context that people are disappointed he's not Fantilli and the 3-on-3 scrimmage, it wouldn't really be a debate. He'd be penciled in to the starting lineup with the condition that he shows he really is ready in camp/preseason.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Draisaitl's a poor comparable because he wasn't already playing (and excelling) against men prior to being drafted, and if he was a good comparable he'd prove my point because he jumped immediately to the NHL and was only sent back to Kelowna after half an NHL season when it was clear that he wasn't emotionally ready, essentially.

Even more support for Carlsson starting in the NHL.

Okay, please stop acting like your point can be proven. It is anecdotal at best.

There are good examples of euro players that played against men prior to be drafted.
Some went straight to the NHL and it didn't work.
Some didn't go straight to the NHL and it didn't work.
Some went straight to the NHL and it worked.
Some didnt go straight to the NHL and it worked.

Barkov: NHL - success
Elias Lindholm: NHL - questionable. Didn't have a good season over 45 points until age 24 after being traded.
Rantanen: AHL - success
Nylander: AHL/SHL - success
Puljujärvi: NHL/AHL - failure
Laine: NHL - Success
Matthews: NHL - Success
Lias Andersson: AHL/SHL - failure
Elias Pettersson: SHL - success
Heiskanen: Liiga - Success
Kravtsov: KHL - failure
Kotkaniemi: NHL - failure
Dahlin: NHL - success
Broberg: SHL - failure
Seider: AHL - success
Kakko: NHL - failure
Stutzle: NHL - success
Raymond: SHL - success
Slafkovsky: NHL - failure

There is no one size fits all. Every player is different. I just prefer to play it safe since I think he still has more to learn in the SHL/AHL.

Nothing to do with shame, people are just assuming he should be sent back because they're afraid of an adverse outcome, and the only support for it is the stupid scrimmage. If you described just his accomplishments and pedigree stripped of the context that people are disappointed he's not Fantilli and the 3-on-3 scrimmage, it wouldn't really be a debate. He'd be penciled in to the starting lineup with the condition that he shows he really is ready in camp/preseason.
Just for reference, my opinion has absolutely nothing to do with the development camp and you can go look at my past posts to back that up.

I think players get hurt by being rushed to the NHL more often then they get hurt by being sent back to junior/Europe/AHL when they can play in the NHL.

Reactions: KickHisAssZegrass

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Okay, please stop acting like your point can be proven. It is anecdotal at best.

There are good examples of euro players that played against men prior to be drafted.
Some went straight to the NHL and it didn't work.
Some didn't go straight to the NHL and it didn't work.
Some went straight to the NHL and it worked.
Some didnt go straight to the NHL and it worked.

Barkov: NHL - success
Elias Lindholm: NHL - questionable. Didn't have a good season over 45 points until age 24 after being traded.
Rantanen: AHL - success
Nylander: AHL/SHL - success
Puljujärvi: NHL/AHL - failure
Laine: NHL - Success
Matthews: NHL - Success
Lias Andersson: AHL/SHL - failure
Elias Pettersson: SHL - success
Heiskanen: Liiga - Success
Kravtsov: KHL - failure
Kotkaniemi: NHL - failure
Dahlin: NHL - success
Broberg: SHL - failure
Seider: AHL - success
Kakko: NHL - failure
Stutzle: NHL - success
Raymond: SHL - success
Slafkovsky: NHL - failure

There is no one size fits all. Every player is different. I just prefer to play it safe since I think he still has more to learn in the SHL/AHL.

What are you trying to say? :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad