Speculation: Where do you think Leo Carlsson should play next season?

Where do you think Leo Carlsson should play next year?

• NHL

Votes: 35 28.5%
  • AHL

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • SHL

Votes: 61 49.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
So this debate has been on multiple- threads, he is the 2ndOA pick and it’s been an interesting discussion about where he may slot into the organization or if you think he should go back to the SHL. Vote and discuss why you made that choice.

We don’t know Verbeek’s plans yet, but should as the summer unfolds.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I am guessing they will decide it will be of greater benefit for him to get coached at NHL level, by a coach like Cronin, than go back to SHL.

There has been debate about him being able to play a 1C role in the SHL. But it‘s not guaranteed. My issue is, the SHL is about the team needs not Carlsson’s. I rather he get a shot in a pro league, and be under the Ducks wings when it comes to development. He has already shown he can play against men in not just the SHL but at the WC where I thought he was better than Fantilli.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
NHL if I had to guess but I don’t have a huge problem with him in SHL one more year. I think it’s very doubtful he ever plays in the AHL

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
No idea tbh but I'd be ok with any option. I feel he can definitely hang in the NHL next year. But is that the best for his development? This is where I'm not sure. It might be... but also it's a long season where there is less time to work and train than in other leagues.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Just for the record, a fan of his SHL team says he will be their #1 center next year.

I think I would like him to stay in the SHL and win a MVP or championship and lead a WJC team.

Reactions: Rasp

Quack Shot

Nov 14, 2010
SoCal
I would like to see AHL for first month to get acclimated to North American ice.

Sending him to SHL he’s there for good for the season, at least AHL we can call him up or send him down as needed.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I’m pretty ok with whatever. Some of the comments about Orebro have been reassuring so while I’d prefer he plays in SoCal next year, Sweden doesn’t sound bad at all.

There’s also a really good chance he just sticks in the NHL from day 1. This isn’t just any other prospect with a lot of potential, he was the 2nd overall pick in a very stacked draft. He’s going to be 19 mid season, clearly has the frame and was great against NHL quality talent at the worlds. I suspect he’s ready.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
AHL for me, same route as Mikko Rantanen had. Don't think he's quite ready yet for a full NHL season, but I could be very wrong.

I think it'd be best if he spent the season adjusting to the smaller NA ice and the tighter schedule. In SHL they play 52 games per regular season on large ice, in San Diego he'd get 72 games of NA style hockey.

Reactions: Hey234

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
I feel like NHL would be optimal to start getting him used to NA ice and speed, but I'm not gonna be that mad about him having to go back to Oreboro.

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
Chose NHL, but that's of course only if he's deemed ready.

If not NHL, AHL would be my vote. He should get as used to the NHL rink size as possible, even if the SD staff and a bunch of players are going to be new.

Reactions: Leonardo87

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
One benefit of waiting 1 year for Carlsson to be a full time NHL player is that will mean his ELC is up at the same time as the end of Strome and Killorn’s deals.
Verbeeks HFburner? I totally see that lining up now.

DigiDuck

More covfefe please.
Jan 11, 2019
Burbank
At first, I thought I'd prefer if he played in SHL next year to get more acclimated to being The Guy, but learning the NA game sooner rather than later in the AHL sounds like a better plan, especially since he can learn to shoulder the load down there too. He might even be given more responsibility than if he were in the NHL.

One year in the A isn't going to hurt his development. Look how it worked for Hampus in his D+1 year. I'll be ok with whatever he and the club feel is best though.

Reactions: Hey234 and Arthuros

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
SHL.

Backstrom and Pettersson stayed in Sweden an extra year and it worked wonders for them. Elias Lindholm did not and it took a long time for him to reach his potential in the NHL.

Just to compare with a few other top five center picks from Sweden.

Reactions: Terry Yake

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I’d love for him to be nhl ready and join the team, but if he needs a year I think the AHL and SHL are both fine.

Not something I’d be comfortable voting on… he’s going to decide where he ultimately plays based on camp/preseason.

If he doesn’t make the ducks I guess my mindset would be get used to American ice and future teammates… and also I’m bias cause hills arena is closest hockey arena to me so I could go check him out live.

Reactions: Rybread86

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
I’m a little nervous about sending him to San Diego. Mcilvane already has a lot of young players on his hands to develop there and hasn’t proven himself yet. Makes me a little hesitant to put all of our eggs in one basket

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Give him his 9 games, then send him wherever he needs to go to best develop. Not burning his ELC has value, not wasting a year with him playing wing has value, letting him bulk up and get confidence in a lesser league with a lighter schedule has value.

I agree with this, unless Carlsson prefers to play in the SHL. I think it is less about coaching and more about role. I'd rather have him in the SHL playing a top line/top PP skilled role than on the ducks 3rd or fourth line. If the ducks feel he can play in the top 6, then they should keep him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad